Hey everyone, I'm new here and I've decided to start playing guitar again and write my own music. I'm currently working a solo project, and I'm unsure which guitar I should buy.

I'm currently looking at either the 'Squier Jaguar,' 'Squier Jazzmaster,' or an 'Epiphone Les Paul'

I'm planning on playing in either Standard, D Standard or Drop D. (Most probably Drop D) and going for a Rockish, alternative sound. (E.g Pearl Jam, Arctic Monkeys, Guns 'n' Roses, etc.)

my vocals are relatively mellow and relaxed, (similar to Adam Gontier's vocals or something like Eddie Vedder's Softer songs, maybe less 'rugged' though.) so I'm not particularly sure which guitar would fit better, I'm planning on using either a Jazz bass or Jaguar bass.

I only really want to pay $650 or less, just because I don't really earn too much money being an apprentice, I'm also investing in other musical gear and would rather keep prices relatively low and if all goes well upgrade later.

If you guys have any other guitar recommendations, let me have it!

Thank you and sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.
Last edited by Insipricated at Aug 9, 2013,
$650 what? USD, AUD? Whereabouts are you located?

Are you willing to go used?

EDIT: We typically allow one bump a day around here. Regardless, don't bump after 30 minutes. Your post never left the first page, just not everyone is on at all times. Be patient.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 9, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
$650 what? USD, AUD? Whereabouts are you located?

Are you willing to go used?

EDIT: We typically allow one bump a day around here. Regardless, don't bump after 30 minutes. Your post never left the first page, just not everyone is on at all times. Be patient.

$650 AUD, I'm in Australia. (I can't find any stores near me that sell any Squier's, but have found an Australian online store with good reviews that have good prices)

I'd prefer go new, which is why I decided on Squier and Epiphone, as apposed to Fender and Gibson.

Oh sorry, I've never really been on a forum before and I wasn't sure whether I was supposed to do that or not haha, won't happen again.
No problem. And for the future, questions about guitars go in the Electric Guitar subforum. This subforum is more about amps and pedals and what not. A mod will probably move this thread over there for you eventually.

Can you get Vintage (brand) guitars over there? They make some good value LP copies.

If it's just for recording, look at the Epiphone Les Paul Studio. It's not the prettiest thing, but they're really solid workhorses. You can put some good Seymour Duncans in it if you have leftover cash, like a Custom/'59 set.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 9, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
No problem. And for the future, questions about guitars go in the Electric Guitar subforum. This subforum is more about amps and pedals and what not. A mod will probably move this thread over there for you eventually.

Can you get Vintage (brand) guitars over there? They make some good value LP copies.

If it's just for recording, look at the Epiphone Les Paul Studio. It's not the prettiest thing, but they're really solid workhorses. You can put some good Seymour Duncans in it if you have leftover cash, like a Custom/'59 set.

Yeah it'd only be for writing and recording. I don't plan on ever playing gigs, and if it ever came to that I'd probably go vocals or bass.

Well here are links for the two I'm looking at, at the moment. (Both are free shipping to me as far as I know)

Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster:

[forbidden link]

Epiphone Les Paul Studio:

[forbidden link]

Edit: Links didn't work, idk haha.
But they're both around the $450 mark
Honestly if you're looking at Jazzmasters, get the J. Mascis. One of the best budget Jazz's I've ever played. I personally think it's better value than the Studio. I own both, I've always liked the Mascis more. It would depend on what sound you were going for.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
would it be better to order a axe from us and just pay the ouragous shipping or does it even out?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Eppicurt
Honestly if you're looking at Jazzmasters, get the J. Mascis. One of the best budget Jazz's I've ever played. I personally think it's better value than the Studio. I own both, I've always liked the Mascis more. It would depend on what sound you were going for.

Yeah I'm really leaning towards the Jazzmaster, from all the reviews I've read, it seems to be a great guitar for it's price.
Quote by romeozdistress
would it be better to order a axe from us and just pay the ouragous shipping or does it even out?

Depends on the brand. Some are still stupid and some are a little better. Gibson/Epiphone and Fender are still pretty bad.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"