I recently purchased a used hughes and kettner triamp mk2 and I'm trying to figure out which cab to buy to go with it. I got the triamp for over $1000 off of guitar center's $2799 list price, so I'd like to save some money on a cab as well if possible.

I play blues and classic rock almost exclusively. Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Scorpions, etc. are about the 'heaviest' types of music that I play. I don't play any modern metal at all.

I did a little digging online but didn't come up with much. Most people seem to be looking for cab recommendations for metal. I did see a few recommendations of Marshall cabs with greenbacks or vintage 30s.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Quote by Ippon
Agreed, V30s or Greenbacks are very nice with the MKII.

Thanks for the feedback. Any cab recommendations? Also, is there any reason why I should go with a 4x12 or would a 2x12 suit my needs? This probably won't be a gigging amp for large shows any time soon.
Quote by Ippon
The Greenbacks would be ideal at 100W for the 412 and the 212 V30s would be good at 120W.

There are a ton of nicely-priced Marshall cabs.

Forgive my ignorance, but are the speakers the important part? Is one cab as good as the next? With all of the nicely-priced Marshall cabs, what makes one better (or worse) than another? I obviously don't have much cab experience. My current amp, blackheart little giant, came with it's own cab and I never bothered with picking a different cab for it.

Thanks again.
Quote by rockadoodle
Forgive my ignorance, but are the speakers the important part? Is one cab as good as the next?

speakers make a big difference to the tone. if you put different speakers in the same cab, it'll sound way different. It makes enough of a difference that it can sound like you're using a different amp.

(gross oversimiplification alert!)

greenbacks sound like classic rock, vintage 30s sound like modern rock and metal (when used with appropriate amps)

cabinets affect the tone a fair bit, too.

What they're made of: good quality, normally baltic birch, plywood is the good stuff, solid wood is also an option which is quality but for most things ply is fine and arguably better as solid wood can be "too resonant" for some things

and the dimensions: bigger normally means more bass, though again that's an oversimplification

and the construction: open- or closed-back- open is airier and more 3D and fills the room better; closed-back is more focussed with a tighter bass and more punch. Again, a simplification, but for lighter tones, open-backed is nice, for heavier, normally you want closed-back.

Also speakers can be front- or rear-loaded. Probably makes less of a difference, but the theory is that front-loaded sounds a bit more "immediate" and "modern".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Harley Benton G212/G412 Vintage - the best chinese, good quality guitar cab they male.
Birch plywood, V30s and ad cheap ad ****.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ i'm guessing he's not in europe since he mentioned $
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think I've settled for greenbacks for sure. I just don't know about the cabinet. Can I get a good cabinet for +/- $500 used or new?

Also, why would I choose one brand of cabinet over the next? If they're made of the same materials and build quality is similar or equal, won't they sound pretty similar?
different dimensions can sound a fair bit different. also they could use different quality of plywood etc. and/or be put together better or worse.

big problem with greenbacks is you're gonna need a 4x12. if you want a 2x12 you'd need to go for a higher-wattage greenback (which doesn't always sound the same).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is the power rating of the cab something that needs to be considered and 'matched' to the amp as well? For example, a 100 watt head will need at least a 100 watt cab?
yeah you generally want the cab to have at least as much wattage. different speaker manufacturers rate their speakers different, so normally with celestion having them match is sufficient, but with other slightly more optimistic companies (like eminence) you'd want to have a bit more... say a 150 watt cab with a 100 watt amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i'm guessing he's not in europe since he mentioned $

Sorry, i thought they were foundable in the US too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by rockadoodle
Is the power rating of the cab something that needs to be considered and 'matched' to the amp as well? For example, a 100 watt head will need at least a 100 watt cab?

when i pick a cab to 'match' the specs of a head i look at two things:

1) Power Handling: this is the wattage rating of the cab. this lets you know roughly how many watts the cabinet can handle until a speaker is blown. in the guitar world you want the watts on the cab to exceed the wattage output of the amplifier.

2) Impedance: this deals with the electrical resistance of a cab. there are difference reasons for choosing different impedance cabs. i believe the hughes and ketner triamp would prefer a 16 ohm cabinet, that way you could run a 16 ohm cab out the 16 ohm output, or two 16 ohms cabs out the 8 ohm outputs.

my buddy actually had one of these amps, after trying out a number of cabs we ended up using a old peavey cab loaded with G12K-85's. the G12K's seem to give quite a bit of body to the amp.

edit: if you are going for more of an 80's tone then G12T-75's and G12-65's may be worth considering, also something like the celestion G12M-65 creambacks are supposed to be similar to a G12M-25 (greenback) but the creambacks have a higher power handling capability (65 watts). using creambacks instead of greenbacks would allow you to still run a 2x12 because it'd only take two creambacks to cover your power handling needs.

you could prob get an avatar 2x12 with creambacks for like ~500 usd, i prefer their contemporary design
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 11, 2013,
so what is the budget? cause i would say go with avatar with celestions pre-loaded.

or if you can spair about 50 extra bucks, go with WGS speakers, they are cheap but the shipping costs for about a 30 pound box is about 40-50 bucks.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Spambot_2
Sorry, i thought they were foundable in the US too.

no worries

I'm guessing thomann might ship to america, but by the time you do that it might be just cheaper to get something in the USA. Could be wrong, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?