Page 1 of 2
This is just something I feel like getting off my chest. I've been playing guitar for almost 6 years, been playing electric since 2009. I own two beginner's guitars, the first was a gift (Squier Bullet), the other one I worked for it (Epiphone LP Junior). The thing is, looking back on my music "career", I've focused on learning "basics" on everything, I've never comitted myself to learn complex things. I've wanted to get a guitar teacher for so long, but I never seem to have the chance to do so. I can barely play solos, and I don't really know much about harmony, so all my songs have similar chord structures, no surprises, no changes.

I also see tons of guitar players getting better and better equipment, discussing amps, pedals, racks, when I don't even own an amp. I play either on my pc, my living room's stereo or at studio rehearsals. I barely own a cheap distortion pedal. Things are really expensive where I live (5 or 6 times the prices you see in the US, sometimes more), but even though, I haven't even bothered to do something about it. I just play wherever I can plug my guitar into.

And since 2011, I started writting songs, and moved my focus on to writting and recording, then learning how to mix, then sharing homemade demos all by myself with my band's brand on them (because I'm really nice and caring, wtf), and then again, never given a single tought to my equipment. Never ever considered ways to get a better sound from the source. I had two band practices last month where I could barely hear my guitar, and I had to use a default amp setup during the whole sessions because my pedal's AC cable was not working properly and it turned off randomly, so I had to play all clean or all overdriven, and it sucked.

I have not worked to find my sound, my tone. I haven't worked for equipment to achieve that. And that makes me feel really bad as a guitarist. Some might say it's not completely necessary, but my current rig's sound is pathetic. Is nonexistent. My sound is the rehearsal room's, or my pc's, or my stereo's.

I got as new, nice job a while ago and I started making plans about getting recording equipment to make better quality demos with my band. An interface, mics, even a laptop so I can take all that stuff to the rehearsal room and record on the go. I feel bad for not even considering a couple of pedals or guitar parts.

I got out of bed and sat on my pc to write this. I'm sorry if you had to read it all but I was just feeling kind of sad.
Step one: Get an amp
Step two: Find a guitar teacher
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
50% of music has nothing to do with the physical practice. It has to do with the clarity of perception.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
dawwww it's ok your a good guitarist in your own way dont' give a **** what the other girls think :3
Actually lots of songs have similar chord changes (see axis of awesome) and structures (verse-chorus...) if it fits what your trying to convey with your lyrics who gives a flying shit.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
if you want to be a better musicians than get an amp and a teacher or teach yourself with videos just dedicate time and don't quit or if you just want to have fun get an amp crank it, play power chords and rock the **** out! its about soul man.
Last edited by Reverb&Reggae at Aug 10, 2013,
if you take me out to dinner i might be able to help you find a working chord
gurl u salty

Quote by Reverb&Reggae
the honor is mine you funny space orka
Quote by ramorite
if you take me out to dinner i might be able to help you find a working chord

sigged
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
thank you reverb i've been waiting for the day when this would happen

i can die in peace now
gurl u salty

Quote by Reverb&Reggae
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
i love you

can i sig ur last post too
gurl u salty

Quote by Reverb&Reggae
yes i feel like that scene in step brothers "did we just become best friends!"
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
yay let's take selfies
gurl u salty

Quote by Reverb&Reggae
You either enjoy aspects of playing guitar and or making music or you don't. Simple as that. If you enjoy it you will get better at it. If you're a slow learned you should recognize that and work on patience.

Maybe you don't know what to practice?

Here is what every guitar player should know:

How to build chords
-how to add notes to triads
-how to identify chords
-how to play them in root and first and second inversion

How to play all 7 modes in each key
-don't learn confusing "tricks"
-learn all the 7 modes in the key of c major
-now memorize them in all the keys.
-practice them in 3's and 4's

What all the musical symbols mean
-sharps and flats and accidentals, note duration
-identify key by looking at the key signature
-be able to count time signatures. Listen to selkies by btbam. You should be able to eventually figure out what each riff is in by counting 1/8th notes or 1/4er notes.

From that you should be able to do anything. Music theory doesn't get much more conplicated than that. Music theory is basically taking idea and classifying them. Written rules. Why does iii-vi-ii-v-i-iv-vii sound good? How to add the neopolitan 6 into a chord prog and why it "works". It's mostly Intuitive. In moonlight sonata, am, g, f, Bb first inversion, am, e7, why were you able to play tht Bb? Well it came after F, which came after Am/g, so you have no b note on the g chord and f to Bb always sounds good (i-iv) so by putting the d as the root so you don't notice the Bb as much just works.

Tldr? Pick a new hobby lol not really...
Play with better musicians.
I started playing in 2005, stopped after a couple of months, became interested again in 2008, stopped again in 2010 because I felt like I was going nowhere and I began to focus on other things and I started again in January after my friend who'd I always jam with asked me if I wanted to be a rhythm guitarist for his band. I told him that I havent played in a while and he said who cares, I'll just play chords and I though "I could do chords" so I said yes.

I can't solo, I don't understand music,I don't know any theory but I really have felt myself improving ever since I started playing with my friend. I'm not good by any means but I feel like I'm capable enough of fooling people into thinking that I'm a decent guitarist.

Find better guitarists and jam with them.
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
I've been playing for about the same amount of time as you, and you don't, need to feel sad. My father was self taught, and he is way better than I! I first started on youtube, then after I felt ready, I went to a guitar teacher. I am not a natural learner, so I needed the extra help. There's nothing wrong with being self-taught. My biggest "upgrade" was a new AC cord. And I started off with acoustic. My father never used an amp either, and he's a great musician. And if you don't like your band, just leave. If your friends play guitar, form a band with them! There are also a lot of bands looking for new guitarists, drummers, etc. I've been seeing a bunch lately.
Just actually read the full OP
WTF who gives a shit about gear and rigs? I play my strat thru my keyboard speakers. That's all you need. **** gear. It's about the nusic
****, I've been playing longer. Skill-wise I'm terrible, but I could make better overall music than 99% of UG
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Xiaoxi
50% of music has nothing to do with the physical practice. It has to do with the clarity of perception.

Wow, Brilliant way of putting it.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
You either enjoy aspects of playing guitar and or making music or you don't. Simple as that. If you enjoy it you will get better at it. If you're a slow learned you should recognize that and work on patience.

Maybe you don't know what to practice?

Here is what every guitar player should know:

How to build chords
-how to add notes to triads
-how to identify chords
-how to play them in root and first and second inversion

How to play all 7 modes in each key
-don't learn confusing "tricks"
-learn all the 7 modes in the key of c major
-now memorize them in all the keys.
-practice them in 3's and 4's

What all the musical symbols mean
-sharps and flats and accidentals, note duration
-identify key by looking at the key signature
-be able to count time signatures. Listen to selkies by btbam. You should be able to eventually figure out what each riff is in by counting 1/8th notes or 1/4er notes.

From that you should be able to do anything. Music theory doesn't get much more conplicated than that. Music theory is basically taking idea and classifying them. Written rules. Why does iii-vi-ii-v-i-iv-vii sound good? How to add the neopolitan 6 into a chord prog and why it "works". It's mostly Intuitive. In moonlight sonata, am, g, f, Bb first inversion, am, e7, why were you able to play tht Bb? Well it came after F, which came after Am/g, so you have no b note on the g chord and f to Bb always sounds good (i-iv) so by putting the d as the root so you don't notice the Bb as much just works.

Tldr? Pick a new hobby lol not really...

I literally know 0% of that. I don't have any formal education in music theory. However, I HAVE figured out a bunch of it as it pertains to guitar
Well guys, I gotta say, reading all of your tips and feedback made me feel a little better. And it also confirmed a couple of things that I already knew I had to do.

I am actually a music theory student, but so far, it has helped me improve my rhythmical skills, it has made me a better singer and I am kind of able to identify notes and chords whenevere I'm listening to music or jamming. BUT I haven't learned much on how to apply what I've learned to my writting. I know I need to practice more. It's been a couple of years (that I remember) since I last sat and learned through a whole song. If you'd like to listen to one of my songs (what I consider to be the best I've written so far): soundcloud.com/gloriawho/way-up-high (and I'm sorry for posting this, I don't mean to promote in any way).

Getting new and better equipment is not impossible, but you have no idea how hard and how expensive it can be. I've been looking in stores and local webstores for either a p90 or a JB SH-4 for over a year now, haven't seen a single one yet. And I can't really get things off Amazon as of now.

Still, I think most of this comes to practicing, doesn't it? I have little time but I guess I don't give it much of it. I will try to do so. I just don't want to be a songwriter, I want to be a better guitarist
Quote by Philip_pepper
Umm

What you really

need

is a new

amp.

I am disgusted that it took this long for someone to say this.
Get a nice guitar and amp and you'll be very happy you did. The sooner a guitarist does this the better IMO.

yeah good stuff costs a lot, buy used and it will be like money in the bank when you go to sell it
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 10, 2013,
It's all about the motivation and desire to get better. You have to find that motivation that'll spark you to play.

I've been playing for 5 years and I out a lot of time into playing and learning about music. When I first started, I was clueless about music. Throughout the first few years, I learn the basics of theory and playing guitar. In those 5 years, I learnt the songs I enjoyed including the solos (moderate speed solos like GNR and what not). Within 2-3 years of playing, I began to start improvising solos, writing my own songs and the like. I can still improve both, but I'm better at them now then a few years ago. Also, with my knowledge of theory and being used to playing guitar, I can identify (with some troubles here and there) notes and chords in songs.

Besides getting a better "ear" for music, working on my technique and new "tricks", and making my own music, my motivation and desire to get better has kept me going. Don't get caught up with what others are doing or the gear they have (I have a nice rig since I wanted to find "my" sound). Just focus on your weak points and have a set period of time (about 30-60 minutes) each day to practice on getting better. You'll become better, bud! Trust me, we've all been there.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by Xiaoxi

This.

Finding your tone is literally just twisting knobs until you think it sounds good, there's no right or wrong way to get there.

If you want to work on your technique, go jam with other musicians or find a backing track on youtube, they've helped me tremendously.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Umm

What you really

need

is a new

amp.

Or maybe a lamp
Sail upon the open skies
get an amp! That's kind of like writing a book with no paper (yes i know there are e-books!)...If it sounds good you will play much better and will give some sustain to notes that will help your sound and confidence. Now go learn songs! forget practice routines for now, go learn songs of all genres you like
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
If you feel you know music well but simply can't play guitar, consider a different instrument, like the piano or something. Guitar just probably isn't for you.
write your own songs .you don't need no fancy recording stuff.save money for good guitar .audacity -free is good to record stuff to hear how you sound.
Quote by Victor Escobar
Play with better musicians.
I started playing in 2005, stopped after a couple of months, became interested again in 2008, stopped again in 2010 because I felt like I was going nowhere and I began to focus on other things and I started again in January after my friend who'd I always jam with asked me if I wanted to be a rhythm guitarist for his band. I told him that I havent played in a while and he said who cares, I'll just play chords and I though "I could do chords" so I said yes.

I can't solo, I don't understand music,I don't know any theory but I really have felt myself improving ever since I started playing with my friend. I'm not good by any means but I feel like I'm capable enough of fooling people into thinking that I'm a decent guitarist.

Find better guitarists and jam with them.

This.
If you have friends that are good just play with them and ask questions. It helps to have someone show you a technique that you actually want to learn and at your own pace.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Page 1 of 2