Hokay, so, i was at a death metal show at a small bar recently. Show was great. But I noticed something rather peculiar aboot the guitar players guitars. Each of them (shiny pointy Jacksons) had a strange thing affixed over the nut. Now needless to say every guitarists guitars were FR equipped, and where the locking nut was, I did not see the usual 3 allen bolts there. I saw a metal hood or sheath that seemed to cover each one. It was kinda like the pickup covers that went over the strings of an old bass.

So, has anyone seen one of these things, or even knows what I am trying to describe? I would like to learn the function of these things.

TY
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
Was it something to stop the string from ringing out?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
why were you looking at their nuts?

(I'm sorry, I came in here to give the same answer as way cool jr)
Quote by flexiblemile

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by flexiblemile

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cool it could have been one of those kahler things. But it was right over the nut, and covered the string retainer bar as well. It was also solid, like one piece. Like i described linda like the old Strat bridge covers, or the bass pup covers. I would like to know the functionality of this.
I think I fugured it out now, perhaps. It seems to have been one of those Fret-Wrap things, just placed behind the nut while not in use. Come to think of it, those dampers are for metal and shred guitar for the most part anyways, and legato style guitar.
TY
Fret Wraps function as both a damper for behind-the-nut noise when you're doing staccato riffing and open string noise when you're playing legato/tapping. It depends where you place it.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter