the title says it all, what are your thoughts? Im referring to the high end production models of both companies.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Last edited by Reverb&Reggae at Aug 10, 2013,
I've heard lots of gigging reggae guitarists say they prefer humbuckers (most Gibsons) for their "wide range", but if you want a clearer, jangly sounding tone (Fender) that'll pop more for rhythm, then you'll want single coils/fender. I've seen lots of HH Les Pauls used in reggae, but lots of strats too, so whatever you prefer really.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
im not trying to start another shit show fender vs gibson debate i just always see many different guitars used for reggae and wanted to see peoples opinions

hell brad nowell used ibanez s series guitars
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
I see a lot of singlecoil & HB guitars being used by all kinds of reggae performers...even the odd p90- it just depends on the individual artists.*

So play what you think feels & sounds right. Were I playing it, I'd probably go for a mix of pickups, or a guitar with individually splittable HBs.

* Bob Marley and Peter Tosh were known to use all 3 at different times.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 10, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I see a lot of singlecoil & HB guitars being used by all kinds of reggae performers...even the odd p90- it just depends on the individual artists.*

So play what you think feels & sounds right. We're I playing it, I'd probably go for a mix of pickups, or a guitar with individually splittable HBs.

* Bob Marley and Peter Tosh were known to use all 3 at different times.

yeah ive been gassing for fenders new select series jazzmaster with the splitable HB's and carved maple top, stop tail bridge and block inlay neck :drool:
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Whichever you're most comfortable with, suits your style and sounds best to you.

/thread
RIP Gooze

cats