Hi there!
First post in here but I signed up about 5 years ago for rating tabs and looking around etc...

I'm currently using a Line 6 Spider III 15w which was my first amp (bought with my first real guitar- sexy Epiphone SG 400).

Over the last year or so I've grouped together a motley crew of like minded people and we're working on polishing a few songs then recording them etc, while doing this I've been adding pedals to my set up as follows:

The clean setting- getting 'upped' by an Ibanez TS7 and a Behringer overdrive/distortion (I opted for the cheap one incase it wasnt very nice with my amp)

The metal setting- getting upped with the same.

THeres also a Behringer delay and a Dunlop Cry Baby. And a pic of the set up in my profile.

SO!
Seeing as we're getting a bit serious and might be looking for gigs etc soon I was thinking of upgrading my amp. I'm very used to the tones and sounds I get from those channels on the Spider III (but I do not like the occasional background fuzz from the tubescreamer and overdrive/distortion).

I was thinking of simply getting a 30/75w Spider IV. Is this a wise choice? Am I likely to get the beefy fuzzy distortion from a different amp?
I've been looking at the Fender 212R as a friend recently got one and I like the sound of it.

If it helps my playing sounds a lot like some wierd hybrid of Oasis, Muse and Bullet for my Valentine! I use the metal channel setup more frequently- a light crunch which is driven up to a lovely distorted noise

I might end up with a budget of around £300
I'm looking for suggestions for an upgrade, then I'll go to my local music shops and pester them to try all the things!

I'm also considering getting the Matt Heafy Les Paul Custom 7 String for a bit of fun!

Cheers

EDIT!
After looking around at some rules, regs and other threads
-Im in Liverpool- UK
-Willing to try used
-I/we play sort of punky rocky rolly metaly music. Or hard rock, that'll suffice!
-I've seen that a noise gate or something will help- I'm going to get a Boss NS-2 when I have some more money to spare!
Last edited by tyrrell030491 at Aug 10, 2013,
If you are really going to gig, stay far away from the Spider series, unless it is a Spider Valve amp.

With your budget you will need to go used (if you want a 1/2 way decent amp).

I really think you should look for a used Peavey Vypyr tube 60. These are modeling amps, but they sound much better than the spider series. They have a tube power section from the Peavey 6505+ combo. I'm pretty sure the Vypyr tube has a noise gate built in

The Vypyr tube will cover pretty much any style and sound good doing it. Get the Line 6 Spider and Fender Frontman out of your head, in the guitar world they suck.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 10, 2013,
Right ok, I'll have a look around for those. I'm leaning towards the Vypyr after what you said, I'll see if I can have a go of one sometime!

See this is why I made the post
It was just spider was all I've known hah
Quote by justaginger
You could get a used marshall dsl fairly easily in that budget too

If you can find a used DSL401 for 300GBP deff get it. They are very nice amps, I have the 100 watt head. It has good cleans, a nice mid-gain and can do hard-rock on its own. With a boost like your TS7 set to: Volume max, Tone to your taste and gain 0-2. You can use this on clean settings to get a little grit in your sound and fatten it up. Using it like this with distortion will push the amp a little harder and tighten up the bass. But even this might not do BFMV really good.

The Vypyr tube will do BFMV just fine and you can use your pedals with it just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the replies!

I've had a breif search (nothing too vigourous) but as it stands I havent found a Marshall 401 or Peavey vypyr tube 60 nearby/Dawsons/ebay (yet to check a diff music store and cash converters )

BUT I did find Vypyr VIP's, are they remotely similar?

(as you can probably tell, I havent a darn clue about amps!)

**EDIT!!
After using filer functions I find that I am looking for a combo amp (over practice or head & cabinet) and preferably a modelling amp?
But a good one obviously!

See if I didn't ask here I'd have gone out and bought another spider, which may have been a terrible decision.
VIPs are not as good as the tube vypyr. It sounds like the tube 60 is going to be your best bet.
I, personally, think that the DSL401 is subjectively a "better" amp. That being said you might prefer the vypyr tube.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
they're the new ones and do electric/bass/acoustic, and unless you need something to do all of them they aren't as good as the standard vypyrs and definately don't have the tube power section of the vypyr tube.

these aren't local but you may be able to convince them to ship (but be careful as no buyer protection), they are also the 120w version, but you can pull two tubes (ask here for advice) to make it 60W if you don't want the extra power

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/peavey-vypyr-tube-120-with-sanpera-ii-foot-controller/1025437035

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/peavey-vypyr-tube-120-combo-rrp-799/1026275941

the first one comes with the footswitch which would be a major bonus to you
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Amp for electric and acoustic would be a plus actually.

That one on Gumtree sounds quite good indeed, but I'm somewhat weary of it because of the lack of protection. I think I'm willing to pay a bit more just to make sure I'm not getting scammed
I just can't find either amp anywhere else

My search for the Tube 60 and DSL401 continues!
Or at least a cheap one, Google Shopping shows me 401's for £560 (one £416 used) and a Tube 60 for £439. There is a cheaper one but from the US!

Btw what exactly is the "tube" thing as opposed to well, i think "non-tube"?
Tubes pack more of a punch per w than solid state. They also sound more "musical" or "natural" and add picking dynamics (ie; soft strum=clean, heavy punch=crunch). And they cut through a band mix better, which is important for gigging. A cheap solid state will frustrate the hell outta you in a band mix. A guitarist with a tube amp will be heard over a guitarist with a solid state amp almost regardless of volume or watts.

But I'm no tech and I'm sure there's a plethora of threads here explaining the difference.

Put down your Internet and go amp hunting. Try every amp you see whenever possible (most guitarists like showing their amp off, I've found) and you'll fall in love with one eventually. That's what I do and how I ended up with an Egnater Rebel and a chronic case of g.a.s.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 10, 2013,
jet city on thomann

i heard that jet city has set up its own UK store with similar prices to thomann. so also might be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+ for the Jet City JCA50 (You might be able to get away with the cheaper 20watt version.) I mean Oasis and Bullet are way different bands, so you're not going to a perfect tone for both, but the JCA50 is a solid solid amp.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by lucky1978
Tubes pack more of a punch per w than solid state. They also sound more "musical" or "natural" and add picking dynamics (ie; soft strum=clean, heavy punch=crunch). And they cut through a band mix better, which is important for gigging. A cheap solid state will frustrate the hell outta you in a band mix. A guitarist with a tube amp will be heard over a guitarist with a solid state amp almost regardless of volume or watts.

Ahh I see, if both guitars were using solid state would it make much difference then? (we both have 15w Spiders at the moment )

Yeah I know what you mean, I was brought up listening to almost exclusively to Oasis but over the last 5 years or so I've been on a slippery slope through listening to Green Day & Foo Fighters, LostProphets and 30 Seconds to Mars, BFMV & Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot & Killswitche Engage and the like.
Somehow I've made it all fit together in my playing!

I demo'd the Matt Heafy 7 String Epiphone Les Paul today through a Laney something or other, sounded amazing. I think I'll go again one day and try it with every amp in the store!
If you can take a little money from your guitar budget and throw it on the amp.

Like Dave_MC said Jet Citys are great amps and the 22/50/100 will do what you need, the 50/100 better than the 22 (clean headroom is a problem with the 22 in a band situation)

If not the Vypyr Tube is gonna be your best bet. You can use an acoustic guitar through the vypyr tube just fine. My buddy uses a Vypyr Tube 120 live with a classical acoustic/electric guitar and it sounds just fine IMO.

15 watt spiders are practice amps only, I would never use an amp that small to gig
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Again thanks to everyone for your replies. Given me much more insight into amplifiers and why some are better than others!

I'm not leaning towards the Jet City ones as it seems theyre all heads which would require forking extra for the cabinet etc... And I can't haul them anywhere!

I'm just finding it incredibly difficult to find a Marshal DSL (40+) or Tube 60 within a decent price range (a range which i probably wont have saved until christmas anyway!).

I guess it shall all have to wait
Yeah, do yourself a favor and save your money and get a decent amp that will last you for a while
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
jet city does combo versions too

though whether they'd end up any cheaper than the heads, i dunno. when thomann has them in stock, they are, but they rarely have them in stock. that UK distributor i mentioned has them, but for some reason the combos are quite dear.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
++ on the JCA. If you can grab the 50w that would be awesome, otherwise the 20w is sufficient. You can boost it with an OD and push it into metal territory.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
I've decided I want to try the amp before I fork out what will invariably being up to £500 instead (even more saving, woo...) so that kind of rules out the JCA's until I learn to drive!
Last thing I want is to spend all that money getting an amp online then not liking it at all!

All that I've found that I can easily test out is a Marshal DSL 15C- is that even remotely comparable to the 401 mentioned? for an extra £100ish theres a DSL40.

I'm just asking more questions hah, used shops around here appear to only have 10-30w practice amps, and there is no Peavey dealer!
you have the unenviable dilemma (and I've certainly been there) of trying to decide whether you should buy something which you suspect you'll like, but which you can't try, or whether you should buy something you can try which you suspect you won't like as much.

it's really your call, unfortunately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

it's really your call, unfortunately.

Certainly is. Might just have to opt for what i can get!
Which is a Marshall DSL15 or DSL40
And now I see under different search terms a Peavy valveking, seems like the only aternative to a vypyr VIP.
I think I'll go in and try all 3 sometime.

Thanks for everyones help btw, it means a lot! Else I'd probably have already bought a spider 4 hah!