Page 1 of 2
Dirty little secret of the console industry: consoles at release have poorer or equivalent performance to low end gaming PCs.

Gateway 2000: too little RAM to count, four 100 Mb floppy drives, one 700 Mb CD

Play Station 2: too little RAM to count, four 8 Mb cartridges, one 700 Mb CD

Windows XP Dell Notebook Laptop 2005 for $300: 2 Gb RAM, 50 Gb hard disc drive

X-box 360: 526 Mb RAM, 10 Gb hard disc drive

Windows Vista Lenovo ThinkPad R61 2005 for $1200 back then (I got it used repaired in 2011 for $100): 3.5 Gb RAM, 75 Gb hard disc drive, usb 2.0

Windows 7 Dell Notebook Laptop 2007 for $300: 3 Gb RAM, 500 Gb hard disc drive, usb 2.0, DVD

PS3: 2 Gb RAM, 100 Gb hard disc drive, DVD

Windows 7 Laptop 2013 for $300: 4.5 Gb RAM, 1 Tb hard disc drive, usb 3.0, bluRay

Windows 7 Lenovo ThinkPad 2013 for $1200: 8 Gb RAM, 1 Tb hard disc drive, usb 3.0, bluRay

Windows 7 Laptop 2013 for $1800: 16 Gb RAM, 1 Tb hard disc drive, usb 3.0

X-box One: 8 Gb RAM, 1 Tb hard disc drive
Quote by dietermoreno
Dirty little secret of the console industry: consoles at release have poorer or equivalent performance to low end gaming PCs.

Gateway 2000: too little RAM to count, four 100 Mb floppy drives, one 700 Mb CD

Play Station 2: too little RAM to count, four 8 Mb cartridges, one 700 Mb CD

Windows Vista Lenovo ThinkPad R61 2005 for $1200 back then (I got it used repaired in 2011 for $100): 3.5 Gb RAM, 75 Gb hard disc drive, usb 2.0

Windows 7 Dell Notebook Laptop 2007 for $300: 3 Gb RAM, 500 Gb hard disc drive, usb 2.0, DVD

PS3: 2 Gb RAM, 100 Gb hard disc drive, DVD

Windows 7 Laptop 2013 for $300: 4.5 Gb RAM, 1 Tb hard disc drive, usb 3.0, bluRay

Windows 7 Lenovo ThinkPad 2013 for $1200: 8 Gb RAM, 1 Tb hard disc drive, usb 3.0, bluRay

Windows 7 Laptop 2013 for $1800: 16 Gb RAM, 1 Tb hard disc drive, usb 3.0

X-box One: 8 Gb RAM, 1 Tb hard disc drive

Have you ever heard of processors and/or video cards? I guess not.

And why laptops? JUST WHY? What the ****?
Last edited by Elintasokas at Aug 10, 2013,
The equivalent model laptop to the Xbox 1 is $1200 according to your first post.

So it's not cheaper at all...
Regardless they're not really comparabe anyway.

(I've got a PS4 on pre-order btw)

If I had $3000 to spend then I might not want to spend that all on gaming, you ever think of that idea?

Also, good luck playing some of the games coming out now for PS3 or Xbox 360 on your laptop from 2005...
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Last edited by digman50 at Aug 10, 2013,
You should get one of those nifty new pagers.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by dietermoreno

Ok, try running at game at anything approaching the complexity of the average xbox 360 games on that laptop, and tell me how it goes.

I'm a PC gamer and much prefer it over consoles, but I don't think you really understand how things work.

EDIT: Also bothering to mention hard drive space is a bit ridiculous considering how differently PCs and consoles work, and that the size of the hard drive will have little to nothing to do with how powerful a console is.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Aug 10, 2013,
i have a laptop

it does anal

It's not even a secret that PCs are more powerful than consoles, you have to pay a hell of a lot more to actually get something that'll last for a whole console cycle and keep up though.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
You've just noticed this?

To turn a profit after advertising, copyrights etc they need to lower the specs to make a profit.

Games are still able to be played on them though because A) They're designed and scaled down to fit console specs or B) Games are scaled up to take advantage of PC's higher specs ie. GTA V.
edgy meems only friendo :^)
Last edited by thenextkirk92 at Aug 10, 2013,
What TS is too dumb to understand is that, while the PC does have even higher specs than the console, most of that is not going solely to the game, whereas on a console, the system is devoted almost entirely to the game.

And also TS, have you only ever heard of RAM and hard drive space? How about Processor? GPU?
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Whenever someone laughs at me for owning a Playstation because PC's are better I feel sorry for them. I guess they need something to make them feel superior over other people.
Also, on top of what others have said - have you ever considered the time taken to develop that particular system, (they can't work on tech that doesn't exist yet, for several years) so it is obviously going to be behind the cutting edge of PC technology anyway, not to mention that the games developers need time to work on the release titles and to get to grips with the new system and the relevant software.

That's hardly something you would expect to work out well if it was all done theoretically, with no ability to trouble-shoot, until right near the end of the pre-release schedule, and then port it across to technology that is brand new.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Stupid TS forgot to include any info about the processor, video card, storage medium... Yeah if you go by a couple basic facts that only take into consideration numbers which are useless without other specs, pc's are going to sound better. Mainly the processor, because a better processor can do more with less ram. Personally I prefer PC gaming because of the key/mouse combo is great for a lot of games, and I can just hook up an xbox controller for anything else, but the problem is cost.

For $200-300 every 6-10 years, I can get a box I can hook up to any tv in my house to play games, or I can put a down-payment on a $1000-1500 gaming computer and spend another few hundreds in upgrades every 5 years or so. I'd rather get the little gaming box and put the other money toward something productive, like guitar gear.

Plus, with the computer, I'd already have so much money into the computer that upgrades would be a necessary evil to continue to enjoy my investment. With a console, I can just not buy the new one or go play my friend's.
FYI people bringing up ram processor storage space.

Video games hardly use ram or processing power, they're mostly gpu and storage space is cheap as ****. Not to mention games for the PC are a hell of a lot cheaper (by a hell of a lot I mean you can get 60 dollar games for like 30 bucks, sometimes even less with steams insane sales). I don't even know why people even bother bringing up price for the whole pc vs console argument or why it's even worth arguing at all. Also pc has more exclusives.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at Aug 10, 2013,
I use both, but prefer the console I guess, not really though. I might prefer the PC, maybe not though.
Everyone has always known this...

Quote by zomgguitarz1234
FYI people bringing up ram processor storage space.

Video games hardly use ram or processing power, they're mostly gpu and storage space is cheap as ****. Not to mention games for the PC are a hell of a lot cheaper (by a hell of a lot I mean you can get 60 dollar games for like 30 bucks, sometimes even less with steams insane sales). I don't even know why people even bother bringing up price for the whole pc vs console argument or why it's even worth arguing at all. Also pc has more exclusives.

lolwhut?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart

lolwhut?

Right now games are mostly gpu intensive.

This means you don't need an insane amount of RAM or overly expensive quad core processor and buying a massive cooling fan for it because you overclocked it like crazy, and I've gotten a 1.5tb harddrive new for 70 bucks and you don't even need half of that for gaming. Ontop of that theres sites like newegg which have these massive combo deals, which got me a free 8 gig of ram (which is more than enough).

I'm not sure where people are getting these $1,500 amounts for computers.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Video games hardly use ram or processing power,

nigga what
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
nigga what

Well. They certainly use processing power, but the 'bottleneck' in most well designed systems at a console price point will be the GPU.

And in comparison to say film editing or 3D design gaming tends to use a small amount of RAM.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Hardly was a bad word to use. I was sort of getting at games are way more heavily GPU based.

All strategy, open-world and physics-simulating games would beg to differ, so basically every game in the Steam's top sellers at the moment.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Hardly was a bad word to use. I was sort of getting at games are way more heavily GPU based.

It really depends on the game. There are plenty of games which need a beefy CPU but can get away with lower end cards.

Edit:
Quote by Todd Hart
All strategy, open-world and physics-simulating games would beg to differ, so basically every game in the Steam's top sellers at the moment.

Yeah, this.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
All of my lame ass friends are buying the xbone so now I have to get one as well
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
All of my lame ass friends are buying the xbone so now I have to get one as well

Isn't it cheaper to just get better friends
I'd rather buy a console and new games than having to keep upgrading my pc just to play the same new games.

Unless it is a FPS.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by MadClownDisease
Ok, try running at game at anything approaching the complexity of the average xbox 360 games on that laptop, and tell me how it goes.

I'm a PC gamer and much prefer it over consoles, but I don't think you really understand how things work.

EDIT: Also bothering to mention hard drive space is a bit ridiculous considering how differently PCs and consoles work, and that the size of the hard drive will have little to nothing to do with how powerful a console is.

This.
Quote by MadClownDisease

I have a fairly average laptop (i3, GTX 460, 8Gb) and it can easily run any Xbox 360 games at an above Xbox 360 level (aka: above 30 fps at medium graphics). Laptops have come a long way, don't write them off as gaming machines.
Quote by INSULIN
I have never played video games .my son is 3 he likes to play sports

I bet he plays the bench pretty well
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by INSULIN
I have never played video games .my son is 3 he likes to play sports

You must've had a very unfulfilling life. 3 years old and you're already trying to live vicariously through him?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Page 1 of 2