I'm planning on changing the strings on my Floyd-equipped guitar to a much heavier gauge string, 14-68 D'Addario Nickel-plated set. Scale is 25.5 and I will be tuning down to around A-F.

I've not done this kind of thing before on a Floyd system so I was wondering if anyone has any advice, words of caution or tips on doing this.

I've read in some places that I might need two extra springs for the claw but I'm not sure if this is needed in terms of what I'm planning on doing as the tension should be at about standard with that gauge at that tuning.

Has anyone else tried putting a string that size into an original Floyd? I was thinking that if it didn't fit into the saddle I could put the string core into the saddle instead of the whole string (core and wrap) - is this a good idea or not?

Thanks,
Miles.
Might need minor spring adjustment, but you should generally be OK not adding any more springs if you're planning on keeping the tension roughly the same.

As for whether or not the string will fit, it probably will. I know at least one person who has a .072 gauge bass string on his Floyd guitar. He needed to get a longer screw for his locking nut though, but it fit into his bridge just fine.

Putting just the string core into the saddle is a bad idea.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Aug 10, 2013,
They will fit. I had 10-52's In my FR before, with a lot of room to spare. Just gonna have to adjust the springs.
I have 10-52 on mine in half step down and it does fine. They do make heavy duty springs that you can get for them on Floyd upgreads.com if you need them.
Quote by MilesJeffery
I'm planning on changing the strings on my Floyd-equipped guitar to a much heavier gauge string, 14-68 D'Addario Nickel-plated set. Scale is 25.5 and I will be tuning down to around A-F.

I'll be the voice of doom (get it?) here and suggest this is too heavy a string set for the Floyd.
That will be fine. You shouldn't have to do anything but adjust the springs you have a little. The tension on a .68 tuned to A is 17.2. The same tension a .46 tuned to E would be.
What tuning exactly are you planning on tuning this to? Remember that you should keep a floyd in only one tuning and not change it. It's bad for the tremolo system in the long term. "around A-F" means nothing to me in terms of tunings, what specifically are you going for?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Remember that you should keep a floyd in only one tuning and not change it. It's bad for the tremolo system in the long term.

I've had floyds for decades. I change tunings all the time. This statement is complete nonsense.
Quote by D_M_I
I've had floyds for decades. I change tunings all the time. This statement is complete nonsense.

I change tunings in my floyd too, but it needs a spring adjustment every time. That's only going from standard to Eb. "A-F" is a major third and to go between them is pretty much the difference of taking or adding a spring between those two tunings.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Going between huge tuning differences with the same strings would be hard and it would not only require added springs but you are now looking at possible neck adjustments. He is asking for strings that are the right tension basically for A, I think..... I am also a bit confused by his use of A-F, but I guess I assumed he meant A flat

Either way it wouldn't damage anything at all. It would just require more adjustments. If changing the tunings and tensions of the strings on tremolo were to damage it, it would be useless at it's intended function of changing the tension and tuning of the strings..
Quote by D_M_I
Going between huge tuning differences with the same strings would be hard and it would not only require added springs but you are now looking at possible neck adjustments. He is asking for strings that are the right tension basically for A, I think..... I am also a bit confused by his use of A-F, but I guess I assumed he meant A flat

Either way it wouldn't damage anything at all. It would just require more adjustments. If changing the tunings and tensions of the strings on tremolo were to damage it, it would be useless at it's intended function of changing the tension and tuning of the strings..

This is all true and I agree with you. My point on how the tremolo won't last as long is if he's changing between A and F several times between string changes. It would decrease the overall life of the tremolo system a lot. But I'm not saying it's going to damage it as such.
Waitaminute - just hold on here. I don't know of any damage, except to maybe the saddles. I went to 13-60 and had to add 2 medium-tension springs and the 60 would just barely fit and I couldn't get it intonated. Of course, this was tuned to D# and sometimes drop-C. One of the strings would pop out of the bridge too. 11-52 and haven't had a problem since, besides never playing it.

With the string tension you may not have to add springs, but have fun getting everything setup correctly.

EDIT: I'll have to ask my luthier buddy, but I'm sure there are parts for the saddles and locking nut pads for such big strings. There has to be. If you have to adjust the neck relief do it a little at a time and check it in a couple weeks or if the weather changes.
Last edited by 1152 at Aug 12, 2013,
Changing tunings on a Floyd damages exactly nothing.
Quote by J_W
Changing tunings on a Floyd damages exactly nothing.

Unless the resulting change in tension messes up your bridge's alignment and you start whammy'ing without it being set up properly. That could eff up the knife edges on some (cheaper) Floyds.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.