Hi everyone. I'm trying to fix a bad habit that I have. When I play some specific chords, especially barre chords, the G string always sounds sharp.

Maybe the guitar is at fault. The nut slot of the G string might need to be cut deeper, and I'm taking the guitar to a luthier next week. Maybe he will fix it, but I'm pretty sure that the nut is OK and that the problem comes from me and my playing. When I play these chords, I'm certain that I apply too much pressure on the strings, because I'm not comfortable playing them. The G string sounds sharp because it has less tension than the other strings.
It mostly happens with E-shaped barre chords, and also these extended power chords that you can play in drop D :
e-----
B--6--
G--5--
D--3--
A--3--
D--3--

My guitar is a Washburn WI65PRO. It has medium jumbo frets, which doesn't help. I played on a friend's guitar the other day, and every single chord I played sounded in tune. I guess that the frets were smaller. But today, I tried out a guitar that I've been coveting for months, a Jaguar Classic Player Special HH, which also has medium jumbo frets, and the G string sounded sharp on the same usual chords.

I could buy a guitar with lower frets, more adapted to my playing. But if I learn to play in tune on my current guitar, then I'll be able to play in tune on any guitar.

I just wanted to know if people have or used to have the same bad habit than me, and how did they correct it.
You could try using a heavier gauge string.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
You could try using a heavier gauge string.

That's why I asked

Jaguars were made in a time when heavier strings with wound G's were commonplace. Loose strings also feel about a gauge lighter on 24-inch short-scale guitars compared to fender full-scale. So instead of the 10-46 standard gauge strings, I recommend at least 11-48 minimum but I prefer 12-52 for standard tuning on short-scales.
A few possible problems, could be one or all of them:

1) you're pressing too hard - use as little pressure as needed to make sound
2) you're pressing too far from the fret - you should be right up against the next fret whenever possible. This also reduces the amount of grip power needed to hold the string down.
3) you're bending the string as you press - often caused by poor hand position and/or excessive pressure.

I'd wager you're pressing too hard. If you can take care of that, the other two should fall right in line.
I was using 9-50 on my Washburn, but I'm gonna switch to 10-52. Bends will be harder, but it will be better for intense strumming (I do that a lot). I don't know about the string size of the Jag, but it didn't seem particularly light to me.
I'm reluctant to use heavy string gauges like 12-52 because it makes bending harder, and I already suck at bends.
Have you checked the intonation of that string? That would be your first step.
Actually, the problem came from the guitar. It's back from the luthier, in tune. The nut slot was filed, the action was lowered, and now everything's perfect. The G string is ever so slightly sharp on the usual chords but it's not bothering me at all.
Hey, it's me again. I basically stopped playing guitar for a while soon after my last post because I didn't have time. Fortunately, I can play a lot again. My G string sounds a lot better than before thanks to the luthier, but I still apply too much pressure when playing barre chords and it still sounds sharp. It's entirely my fault, this time.

I'm currently learning Road Trippin'. In the bridge, there's an A7 chord : 5-7-5-6-X-X. When I play it, The C# on the G string always bothers me because it sounds sharp. I have no idea how to avoid it.

Do you know any exercise that could help me?
I've just started learning a bit of jazz and i sometimes do this on some of those jazz chords,I'm getting better at it.I'm just practicing changing to those chords but i'm kinda repositioning my hand in between and applying less pressure to try and correct it.Try playing slowly and relax your grip on the neck in between chords as to get into a good hand position to play the chord perfectly.Kinda hard to describe what i'm doing.