Guys, maybe you can help me. I have a friend who has a Gallien-Krueger 4x12 cabinet that he's used with his Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier for a long time. He's been considering selling it recently, and so I asked him the model of the cabinet. He says that it says it's a GS412. I tried searching online for it to get an idea of exact speakers (he says Celestions, but I was hoping for specific model speaker), and pricing, etc. But I cannot find it anywhere on line. Whenever I search for it, it comes up with search results for an Aguilar GS412 (when I look at the picture, it doesn't look anything like what his looks like).

Has anyone heard of this model cabinet? Any help would be appreciated.
Wut? IIRC Gallien Kreuger makes bass amps and cabs?
EDIT: Googled it. GK makes only bass stuff, at least currently. I can't find any mention of them making guitar cabs on the first few pages.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 11, 2013,
Why doesn't your friend open it up and look what the speakers are? It'll say on the back of them. Should be just a few screws to remove to get the back or front panel off, however it's loaded.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
EDIT: Googled it. GK makes only bass stuff, at least currently. I can't find any mention of them making guitar cabs on the first few pages.
To be fair, this is an old cab, I don't remember exactly how long he's had it, but at least since the early-mid 90s (when I first met him), perhaps even late 80s. I know that GK is primarily/exclusively bass gear now, but I was pretty sure they did do some guitar stuff in the 80s & 90s.

Quote by Lavatain
Why doesn't your friend open it up and look what the speakers are? It'll say on the back of them. Should be just a few screws to remove to get the back or front panel off, however it's loaded.
I did ask him if he could do that, but it's currently in storage (and apparently in a far corner, surrounded and covered by other things), so the thought was it would be easier to look up the specs online. He can still open it up if all else fails, but it would be a little while before that could happen, as he's in a very busy phase of his work right now. I just figured that there were surely some GK fanatics on this board that might be able to answer the question. EDIT: Also, opening it up won't help me find it's approx. street value--he's not sure how much he wants to sell it for yet, and was hoping to base it off of a fair market value.

At this point, I'm at least as interested in why the specs for this cab don't seem to exist anywhere online, as I am to the specs & pricing themselves. I could understand a no-name brand cab not coming up in a search, but GK has a fairly strong reputation, so it's just surprising that nothing seems to be available.
Last edited by guitarist46559 at Aug 11, 2013,
Quote by GS LEAD 5

they did used to do guitar stuff back in the day. they are all bass amps now.

Quote by guitarist46559
To be fair, this is an old cab, I don't remember exactly how long he's had it, but at least since the early-mid 90s (when I first met him), perhaps even late 80s. I know that GK is primarily/exclusively bass gear now, but I was pretty sure they did do some guitar stuff in the 80s & 90s.

they started on guitar stuff, the bass stuff came later. the seeds of GK have been around since the late 60's, so you can find some old GK guitar stuff.

Quote by guitarist46559
I did ask him if he could do that, but it's currently in storage, so the thought was it would be easier to look up the specs online. He can still open it up if all else fails, but it would be a little while before that could happen, as he's in a very busy phase of his work right now. I just figured that there were surely some GK fanatics on this board that might be able to answer the question.

At this point, I'm at least as interested in why the specs for this cab don't seem to exist anywhere online, as I am to the specs themselves.

it's just old and obscure equipment, the old specs will be pretty hard to find.

edit: this old 2x12 GK has G12M-70's in it. never even heard of that model, they seem to have really dinky magnets on them though.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Amps/FS-Gallien-Krueger-212GS-2x12-Guitar-Cab-w-Celestions/td-p/21739719
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 11, 2013,
Quote by gumbilicious
they started on guitar stuff, the bass stuff came later. the seeds of GK have been around since the late 60's, so you can find some old GK guitar stuff.
This cab looks newer than 60s or 70s styled gear, I'm thinkin' its at least 80s.

Quote by gumbilicious
it's just old and obscure equipment, the old specs will be pretty hard to find.
Yeah, I'm slowly coming to that conclusion

Quote by gumbilicious
edit: this old 2x12 GK has G12M-70's in it. never even heard of that model, they seem to have really dinky magnets on them though.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Amps/FS-Gallien-Krueger-212GS-2x12-Guitar-Cab-w-Celestions/td-p/21739719
Nice find! I don't think that this one perfectly matches (even aside from the 2x12 vs 4x12), there's some superficial differences at least, but it is similar.

As for the speakers themselves, a quick search online seems to indicate that they're rebranded V30s, that have been slightly modified to do 70W instead of the 60W of the V30s. I know in the case of my friend's cab, it's got a pretty good sound to them, better than what comes out of my current cab.
Quote by guitarist46559
Nice find! I don't think that this one perfectly matches (even aside from the 2x12 vs 4x12), there's some superficial differences at least, but it is similar.

As for the speakers themselves, a quick search online seems to indicate that they're rebranded V30s, that have been slightly modified to do 70W instead of the 60W of the V30s. I know in the case of my friend's cab, it's got a pretty good sound to them, better than what comes out of my current cab.

well, if that is the case then the first V30's came out around '86, so it has to be newer than that. you can actually pull the speaker and find out what year the speakers were manufactured which helps indicate what year the cab is.

-ae
G12m-70's are nothing like V30's at all, except that they are Celestion speakers.

The G12m70 has a magnet the size of the Greenback 32oz.( I think), The V30 has a 50oz magnet like the G12h30/12t75
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gumbilicious
well, if that is the case then the first V30's came out around '86, so it has to be newer than that. you can actually pull the speaker and find out what year the speakers were manufactured which helps indicate what year the cab is.
I just found a nifty little article on that exact point when you responded: http://celestion.com/speakerworld/guitartech/50/Understanding_Driver_Date_Codes/

Quote by Robbgnarly
G12m-70's are nothing like V30's at all, except that they are Celestion speakers.

The G12m70 has a magnet the size of the Greenback 32oz.( I think), The V30 has a 50oz magnet like the G12h30/12t75
Good to know, guess you can't trust everything you see on the internet
Interestingly, I just found a 1 page pdf file with some discontinued cabinets: ftp://downloads.polaraudio.co.uk/Technical/Gallien%20Kruger/Service%20CD%202011/DISCONTINUED%20MODELS/SPEAKERS/115-B%20410-B%20212-GS%20412-GS.pdf

It's a little hard to tell from memory (and the low quality of the black and white photo), but the last one might very well be it. I'll have to confirm this with my friend and see.
Quote by guitarist46559
I just found a nifty little article on that exact point when you responded: http://celestion.com/speakerworld/guitartech/50/Understanding_Driver_Date_Codes/

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

that is a more generic one, celestion's date code seems specific to their product but anything released in the US must use the more general speaker code. that code identifies the company that made it and the week and year it was made.

-ae