I play in a band that does a wide variety of music. We do a lot of folk/indie originals, and we cover everything from Mumford and Sons and Of Monsters And Men to Pink, The Allman Brothers, The Grateful Dead, and The Lumineers. I play acoustic, electric, mandolin, and banjo with this group. When I'm playing electric, a lot of the time my soloing is pentatonic major and minor, and I can't stop it sounding like Hendrix licks. I don't listen to Hendrix and I'm not a huge fan. I play some modal stuff to get more of a Jerry sound when it fits the song, but otherwise no matter how I try to change my timing or phrasing, I can't get away from sounding like I'm trying to be Hendrix. Any advice?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Practice other scales, or stop playing guitar all together and start sewing instead
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sounds like someone needs to break out of that pentonic box.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
^ the thing is, sometimes we do songs that call for pentatonic box stuff, One Way Out by the Allman Brothers or some Led Zeppelin.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Just learn and practice more scales.

Or even some other types of music you might never be interested in.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I'm having a similar dilemma, I play guitar like Kurt Cobain and sing like Ian Curtis. I can't figure out whether I should I shoot myself or hang myself.
Well, practically all rock songs are based off the major and minor pentatonics. What you should do is begin to add the other 2 (diatonic) notes. Once you get comfortable doing that, add in accidentals over the solo. To get your licks to sound different form Hendrix, learn a few licks from guitarists you do like to get a bigger vocabulary.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Try doing some picking exercises (speed exercises, alternate picking exercises, or rhythm exercises to name a few...). They will help you become more comfortable with different rhythms and speeds, and eventually you'll naturally incorporate these techniques into your solos which will make them more varied.
Start thinking about what you play.

If everything sounds the same it's because you keep playing the sane things. Rather than actually thinking about what you want to sound like you're just playing on autopilot abd letting your fingers wander through some well drilled patterns...you're not really playing the guitar, the guitar is playing you. It's got nothing to do with the scale you're using, and learning "more scales" certainly isn't the solution.

You just need to start playing with more intent and direction. The guitar isn't going to do anything that you don't tell it to do, the problem is you keep telling it the same thing. So start thinking more about the sound you want to hear and actively listen to what you're creating, if you don't like what you hear play something else, but work out why it wasn't what you wanted and try to get the sound that's in your head out of the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Damn that's a conundrum. Most people can't get anywhere NEAR sounding like Hendrix!

Even when they think they do.
Quote by sannyasidharma
Damn that's a conundrum. Most people can't get anywhere NEAR sounding like Hendrix!

Even when they think they do.

No doubt. I wish I had this problem. I love Hendrix.
Quote by steven seagull
Start thinking about what you play.

If everything sounds the same it's because you keep playing the sane things. Rather than actually thinking about what you want to sound like you're just playing on autopilot abd letting your fingers wander through some well drilled patterns...you're not really playing the guitar, the guitar is playing you. It's got nothing to do with the scale you're using, and learning "more scales" certainly isn't the solution.

You just need to start playing with more intent and direction. The guitar isn't going to do anything that you don't tell it to do, the problem is you keep telling it the same thing. So start thinking more about the sound you want to hear and actively listen to what you're creating, if you don't like what you hear play something else, but work out why it wasn't what you wanted and try to get the sound that's in your head out of the guitar.

This. All of the this.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Im having the same problem with bands. People , bands use those pent. scales so much that all those blues rooted solos sounds same to me. Yes its another issue. So listening to blues and like music suffocates me and thanks god that theres joe pass who uses a 1595 stringed guitar, so creative...

I think you should get over the mainstream.
Quote by tukk04
I'm having a similar dilemma, I play guitar like Kurt Cobain and sing like Ian Curtis. I can't figure out whether I should I shoot myself or hang myself.

Ehh you under scaled I play like kurt and sing like layne stanley and im still trying to figure out why the girls think im dumb and happy..