I recently got my first electric guitar and amp, Epiphone LP standard and Fender Mustang 1 amp. I was very happy with this setup, the guitar needed a slight truss rod adjustment, but, other than that, it was great from the start. In my apartment, it all sounded great, but now, while on break, i live in a house, and here the amp buzzes horribly. The buzz occurs both when the guitar isn't plugged in and when it is plugged in and the volume is just a tiny bit up. When the guitar is plugged in and the volume is down, the buzz disappears. What is causing this, and how can it be fixed?
Try it on a different circuit in your house, away from appliances.

Can you try it at a friends house? You may have dirty power at yours.

Have you tried a new guitar cable?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 10, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Try it on a different circuit in your house, away from appliances.

Can you try it at a friends house? You may have dirty power at yours.

Have you tried a new guitar cable?

+1 to all of these.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

1) I plugged it in in different parts of the house. The buzz is somewhere more and somewhere less severe, but it is there all the time.

2) I played it in my uncle's house and in an apartment, and there it gave no buzz.

3) I haven't, but i don't think that's the problem because the amp buzzez even when the guitar is unplugged.
It sounds like your hose power is dirty from what you have said. If you rent, get the landlord to send an electrician to check it out. There may be issues much bigger than your amp buzzing, like your house catching fire.

If you own your home, get one of the power outlet testers you plug in that tells you if anything is wrong. they cost <$10 normally
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'll get one of those one of these days. I started getting issues like this a couple of years ago. First the PSU on my PC started buzzing (just like the amp, just "zzzzzzz"), then my PC monitor, then my telephone chargers started randomly dying, and now this. There is surely a problem with the power in the house, but i don't know what it is.
Quote by 4eyed
I'll get one of those one of these days. I started getting issues like this a couple of years ago. First the PSU on my PC started buzzing (just like the amp, just "zzzzzzz"), then my PC monitor, then my telephone chargers started randomly dying, and now this. There is surely a problem with the power in the house, but i don't know what it is.

Uhh... one of these days? There is something very obviously wrong with your power supply. It's gonna be cheaper than replacing a stream of broken electronics because you overloaded them all.
Well, okay, if it could be that serious (which i doubt), i'll get one as soon as possible (tomorrow maybe, the stores are closed now). The only problem is, i have no idea how those are called in Serbian. "Tester uticnica" (the translation of power outlet tester) doesn't seem to exist here. Maybe this is a problem best left to a professional.

EDIT: Could a voltage regulator solve the problem? http://www.teleshop024.com/published/publicdata/GOMBICATELESHOP024/attachments/SC/products_pictures/stabilizator-napona-220v_enl.jpg
Last edited by 4eyed at Aug 11, 2013,
I just found out that the buzz disappears if i plug in my headphones. Could this help solve the problem?
Does it buzz in the headphones? Usually plugging something into a headphone output mutes the sound from the speaker, so you should still be getting buzzing in the headphones realistically.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
no, no buzz through the headphones.

EDIT: Turns out the volume was too low and gain too high to hear the buzz... So, yeah, there's buzz comming through the headphones too, only, with the headphones, it disappears when the volume is all the way down. If the headphones are unplugged, the buzz is there all the time, and is always equally severe.
Last edited by 4eyed at Aug 12, 2013,
Quote by 4eyed
Well, okay, if it could be that serious (which i doubt), i'll get one as soon as possible (tomorrow maybe, the stores are closed now). The only problem is, i have no idea how those are called in Serbian. "Tester uticnica" (the translation of power outlet tester) doesn't seem to exist here. Maybe this is a problem best left to a professional.

EDIT: Could a voltage regulator solve the problem? http://www.teleshop024.com/published/publicdata/GOMBICATELESHOP024/attachments/SC/products_pictures/stabilizator-napona-220v_enl.jpg

If not mistaken in Serbia they just use multimeter, like this:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/test-measurement/Metrs-HVAC-R/gardner-bender-digital-multimeter-3-func-11-range-manual?utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=shp&utm_campaign=Electrical-Testing-Equipment-nextag&utm_term=B547967&infoParam.campaignId=WI

Since you're in Serbia and most likely live in a building it is quite possible that there is a problem with having old electrical wires or breaker box, get someone qualified to trouble shoot it for you but it could be a costly issue.

I think moving to your uncle's might be in order
My money would be on a faulty earth in the house. This is far more serious than "my amp buzzes." You need an electrician to look at it before somebody dies.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification