Page 1 of 2
The boss MT-2 distortion pedal.

Id really like to know people's opinions on the pedal
I've owned one for like 7 years. It's never stayed in my board for more than a couple days. It's a super versatile pedal with a ton of really mediocre sounds and quite a few nasty ones. There are a few sounds that are decent, especially with the gain super low. But yeah, it's not the worst pedal in the world, but it's mediocre at everything it wants to be, an only decent at things other pedals excel at.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'll say this -- while I had my MT-2 I didn't hate it. I played/play extreme metal and I thought that having that much gain was necessary. The problem with the MT-2 is not that it has too much gain (though, that's one of its problems). It's that it sounds thin, fizzy, and struggles to provide a thick, chunky palm-muted sound.

The funny thing is, I thought mine sounded alright -- until I tried a Peavey 6505. After playing mediocre gear for over 12 years, I decided it was time to try out some tube amps. The 6505 was the first high-gain stack I ever tried. I thought it would be marginally better than my Marshall MG 100 "half-stack." Boy was I wrong. It just PUMMELED the sound of my rig. I made plans to sell the MT-2/MG rig that instant. In fact, the store owners almost had to pry me away from that thing.

So really, it's maybe not a matter of how bad the MT-2 sounds, it's how GOOD a proper high-gain amp sounds without messing with distortion pedals.
in its stock form it sounds like ass. if you look around the net youll see people compare it to the sound of a beehive and they are not far off, it does sound that bad.

now notice i said stock form, there are mods you can get or do to it yourself. i have heard clips and video of side by side demos with the stock vs modded. A simple mod can do amazying things to the mt-2 to get it to sound good .
it worked pretty well with my first (solid state) amp - it gave me a good chunky rhythm sound that the amp's distortion wouldn't give me. the knobs are just very sensitive, it's really easy to get that ear-searing beginner "shredder" sound. once i upgraded my amp though, i didn't have much use for it.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Aug 11, 2013,
Sounds like solid state clipping. In other words, a fizzy mess.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It really depends, I've heard the MT-2 do really well in some instances and really bad in others. I think the magic is the param. eq and the amp used. Many people can't dial them right and opt for the fizzy mess, but there is also a tone to be had in there if you know how to work the mids right with a dull bass-heavy amp.
As a standalone distortion it is nasty, but it has its uses. It played a part in creating some classic sounds too. There is nothing wrong with, theres just so many objectively better gear but if a thin raw sound is what you are looking for, it could be a right pedal for the job.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 11, 2013,
They attract bees.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uut1ol_HfCU

Does this answer your question?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
It sounds very trebly and fizzy, and does not have much in the way of dynamics.

It does do a killer Death Sound of Perseverance tone though.

Which is not saying much, as that album had horrid fizzy can of bees tone.

It still pulls off Voice of the Soul brilliantly when paired with an octaver.

That said, Cannibal Corpse uses it to boost Triple Rectos, and it seems to do nice if nasty death metal tones are to your liking.

Just don't expect anything warm or smooth or soothing from it.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 11, 2013,
Quote by GS LEAD 5

That said, Cannibal Corpse uses it to boost Triple Rectos, and it seems to do nice if nasty death metal tones are to your liking.

Just don't expect anything warm or smooth or soothing from it.

Who the hell buys a pedal called "Metal Zone" for anything warm and soothing anyway?

I vehemently disagree with your opinion of Sound Of Perseverance being horrid sounding.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Who the hell buys a pedal called "Metal Zone" for anything warm and soothing anyway?

I vehemently disagree with your opinion of Sound Of Perseverance being horrid sounding.

Well, it works brilliantly with the music Voice sent chills down ye olde spinal cord the first time I heard it back when I was in 9th grade. Had this epic ass English teacher who was into metal and stuff, gave me a disc full off assorted tracks.

Thing is, if you try using settings like that for anything other than Death, the results are nasty

Quote by CodeMonk
Its a Marshall MG in a smaller box

I've owned an MG.

The MG is considerably worse. Even the worst possible settings on the MT-2 pale in comparison to what an MG15 can belt out.

Don't go there. Don't. You'll be swallowed by the dark side.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 11, 2013,
it's the kind of gear that might sound ok on it's own but toss it in a band situation and you insta hate it since it transforms your guitar into sonic pudding
Quote by Eppicurt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uut1ol_HfCU

Does this answer your question?

Quote by KailM
I'll say this -- while I had my MT-2 I didn't hate it. I played/play extreme metal and I thought that having that much gain was necessary. The problem with the MT-2 is not that it has too much gain (though, that's one of its problems). It's that it sounds thin, fizzy, and struggles to provide a thick, chunky palm-muted sound.

The funny thing is, I thought mine sounded alright -- until I tried a Peavey 6505. After playing mediocre gear for over 12 years, I decided it was time to try out some tube amps. The 6505 was the first high-gain stack I ever tried. I thought it would be marginally better than my Marshall MG 100 "half-stack." Boy was I wrong. It just PUMMELED the sound of my rig. I made plans to sell the MT-2/MG rig that instant. In fact, the store owners almost had to pry me away from that thing.

So really, it's maybe not a matter of how bad the MT-2 sounds, it's how GOOD a proper high-gain amp sounds without messing with distortion pedals.

This is the case with most amps. They don't really sound that bad but there are just so many amps that sound so much better.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by diabolical
I knew of a bruutal local BM band that used two MT-2s in front of a dual recto, guitars tuned to B and it sounded horrendously evil.

Oh God, why?
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Maineguitarist
Oh God, why?

Because some people dont give a rats ass what people think in the internet forums and make their own sound using their own ears? Honestly though, this isnt a first time MT-2 has been used by metal bands, even succesful ones. (At the Gates, In Flames...)

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Because some people dont give a rats ass what people think in the internet forums and make their own sound using their own ears? Honestly though, this isnt a first time MT-2 has been used by metal bands, even succesful ones. (At the Gates, In Flames...)

Eh fair enough.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

On a serious note:
Metal Zone is horrible for what it was intended, as a stompbox as your primary distortion tone for metal.
It sounds like a can of bees, has horrid mids, and is awfully EQed to the point where not even the onboard EQ can fix it.

It is however decent as a boost. I heard At The Gates used a Metal Zone to boost an Heavy Metal BOSS pedal.

In my opinion, most boss distortion pedals are rubbish anyways when intended to be used as distortion. Some of them are decent, and some of them sound more like a big muff fuzz than a distortion pedal.

If you want a metal pedal, go for a Digitech TL-2 or Metal Muff.
I have been using one for years. Not really for heavy metal, just mid gain distortion. It has a lot of different sounds and is decent. The high gain settings and EQ can make terrible sounds, but when you keep the treble under 2 o'clock and the gain down from the maximum, it is not too bad.
I think the Metal Core and Power Stack are honestly a lot better options as far as BOSS pedals go, but I don't really like BOSS distortion pedals in general.
I got a Heavy Metal HM-2 pedal and it's pretty cool. I know it's been used on a few 90's gothenburg stuff like In Flames Jester Race and Whoracle, as well as At The Gates stuff.

Metalzone honestly is just a gimmick pedal at best to lure in new guitarists looking for fast ways to get a metal tone. A lot of metal noobs will think a scooped tone is what they're looking for, but really it isn't.
I mean the HM-2 is one of my personal favorite distortions since it has so much character. Dat buzzsaw.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Clay-man
I think the Metal Core and Power Stack are honestly a lot better options as far as BOSS pedals go, but I don't really like BOSS distortion pedals in general

+1 the Power stack is awesome as far as BOSS distortion pedals go.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard

Quote by MaaZeus

That's right. Someone already mentioned that Cannibal Corpse use MT-2 for boosting their triple rectifiers, I think they use a Keeley modded version. I have a moded MT-2 and it sounds good, especially when I use an EQ pedal with it. Before I used to have normal MT-2, I think it's not the best pedal around or even close to it, but it's not that bad for some stuff. Pig Destroyer, Crowbar, At the Gates, Cannibal Corpse are just some of the bands who used it in the past or still do.
Quote by diabolical
I knew of a bruutal local BM band that used two MT-2s in front of a dual recto, guitars tuned to B and it sounded horrendously evil.

If they had Rectos why were they using shitty pedals? Not enough gain in that amp? xD
Quote by Sir Stoney
If they had Rectos why were they using shitty pedals? Not enough gain in that amp? xD

i would imagine they are using the MT-2 to add a bit of edge and grit to the sound that they weren't getting from the dual rectos alone. i find boss pedals work best if you set up your rig so it sounds great without the pedals engaged, and then use the pedals on very subtle settings to add just a little bit of their effect to the sound. So with pedals like the MT-2, it'll be more like giving your distorted tones a different texture, rather than adding a whole load of gain.

I think the problem with the MT-2 (as well as most of the other boss distortion pedals) is the gain control allows you to boost the gain far beyond a usable threshold, and then they market the pedal to people who will be tempted to crank it. and that's when the bad stuff happens and people's ears get hurt.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I didn't think it sounded bad when it was used in that lead configuration, otherwise, yeah not good.

Also, noob to pedals question, if you are playing clean how can you have a delay or reverb going?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
The term clean is referring to distortion, not other effects. ie clean vs dirty. It doesn't mean unaffected in guitar world. When we say clean we just mean not clipped, even if it had chorus, phaser, reverb and delay running. The terms used for those sort of effects is "wet and dry"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 15, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
The term clean is referring to distortion, not other effects. ie clean vs dirty. It doesn't mean unaffected in guitar world. When we say clean we just mean not clipped, even if it had chorus, phaser, reverb and delay running. The terms used for those sort of effects is "wet and dry"

Wet being a signal flavoured by a pedal, and dry being pedal effect free?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Correct
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20