Hi all, you may remember me from such threads as "The Laney Thread", "The Who To Listen To List (and Dave_MC nudes), and "I honestly don't think I've posted in any other threads since 2004".

That's right, I went there.

Anyway, I recently took out a loan to fund a nice big overhaul of my guitar gear and first on the list is an amp. I've been using my bandmate's Twin Reverb for the past year and whilst it's an amazing amp, it's not quite what I'm looking for and is also a massive pain to cart around. With this in mind, I'm looking at getting myself a head and 2x12 cab to make transport a little easier (splitting the bulk in two will help considerably with cramming it into cars and lugging it around crowded pubs!).

My tentative budget for a head and cab is £3000, and I'm mainly looking at recommendations for the head since I can pick up a nice cab used from a local music shop at my leisure really. As such the lion's share of my budget is going on the head (if this is a stupid idea do please let me know, I've been out of the gearhead loop for years). Any advice on any of these matters is appreciated however!

The Important Stuff

In the interest of giving you guys as much info as possible...

• I intend on taking a trip to one of the big music shops to try out any amps I like the look of before buying, so PLEASE DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYTHING I CAN'T GET HOLD OF IN THE UK. If there's something truly exceptional that I won't be able to try out beforehand I may make an exception, but with this sort of money involved I'd like to be sure before I purchase anything.
  • This is going to be used for gigging, jamming, and recording - So bedroom tone is a non-issue here.
  • I do however value my hearing, so I'd rather not go above 50 watts ideally since the Twin already destroys people.
  • I play in three bands - the main one is a prog band, I also have a post-rock type thing going with some friends and I also gig with a Classic Rock covers band weekly to rake in some cash (lots of Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, Free etc).
  • I don't play metal, so if anyone tries to tell me to buy a Triple Rec or Engl Powerball I'll find you and slap you full in the face.
  • My main guitar is an American Special Tele, so something that'd compliment that would be good.

Jokes aside, here are some of the specs I'd like:

• 2 channels - as much fun as it is to do the whole single channel, volume knob response deal, it just isn't practical for me.
  • An effects loop - I've managed without on the Twin since I've been using pedals for any overdrive, but my pedal addiction means that a loop is needed if I'm going to be using the amp's own dirt.
  • Nice clean tone - something close to the Twin Reverb sound would be ideal, but I know this is pretty unlikely to be achievable.
  • As far as overdrive goes, I'd like something clear and responsive, probably British voiced, although I'm open to anything. Since I've been using pedals for my OD this is the one area of my tone that I don't have any set requirements for, so throw out anything you want. I don't need a lot of gain on tap, but I'd like something that's usable without having to crank the volume up to earth-shattering levels since the size of the venues I play in tends to vary massively. The Classic Rock stuff doesn't really need to be covered by the amp since I have a Zvex Box of Rock that does a sterling job for that stuff already.
  • Consistency. As much as I like the idea of something like a Mark V, I honestly can't afford to spend an hour EQ'ing my amp before each and every gig because the taps in the toilets are spewing out slightly harder water (Hi Eric, what kind of batteries are you using in your pedals these days?).

Anyway, I think that's probably about ten times as long as it needs to be, but I thought I'd try and give as much info as possible. I remember spending most of my time here having to ask "How much do you want to spend/What kind of music do you play/What colour are your lucky socks?" in every amp thread so hopefully I've saved you more time than I've wasted...

And thanks for reading in advance!
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Aug 11, 2013,
Personally i think you should look into the new Orange OR100 or the Matchless C-30. Recently tried them out and i think they would fit your criteria rather well. Should you need more gain you can always boost them.

But out of the box they can do clean very well and classic rock like a dream. The OR can pull the prog stuff better especially boosted.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
good thread

Unless you're raking in loads of money from those gigs, are you wise borrowing money to fund this? (obviously it's your call, but I have to ask )

the other thing I'd say is, don't fall into the trap of thinking the super dear stuff is necessarily that much better. often you're paying for extra features, or the tgp/stupid/boutique tax, not to mention diminishing returns set in.

that's not to say a £50 MG is as good as a soldano SLO, lol, obviously it's not, but it's just worth bearing in mind.

If those types of music are sufficiently different, it might even make more sense to get different amps (and cabinets) for them, assuming you have room to store them. Even different cabinets with different speakers with the same amp can make a pretty big difference.

Quote by timi_hendrix
Hi all, you may remember me from such threads as "The Laney Thread", "The Who To Listen To List (and Dave_MC nudes),

you told me that was a private thread!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah, my lasting impression of the very expensive super-amps I've tried has generally been that, while they were frigging awesome (i'm talking about the engl se, bogner ecstacy, diezel vh4 and stuff like that), for the kind of money they cost, I'd probably have more fun with 2-3 very good amps, instead of 1 excellent amp.

Of course, that's assuming you need different types of tones- even the best super-versatile super-amp I tried didn't do vastly differing tones as well as cheaper amps which were squarely aimed at those tones. if there's an amp which does all the tones you need absolutely perfectly and it's £3000 (and cheaper amps don't do those tones as well), then that's absolutely fair enough.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe you don't want digital but Axe fx has plenty of versatility, patches, direct out and of course no tubes. And you could pick a used one up and a cab for that money, and still have plenty of change for the floor control board.
Last edited by combatcohan95 at Aug 11, 2013,
Quote by combatcohan95
Maybe you don't want digital but Axe fx has plenty of versatility, patches, direct out and of course no tubes. And you could pick a used one up and a cab for that money, and still have plenty of change for the floor control board.

I was going to suggest this. Love my axefx II. Why settle with one or two amp tones when you can have every popular amp tone, cab, mic, and pedal? Not to mention super easy direct to DAW recording. Just something to consider.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Quote by Ippon
Bogner Ecstasy is definitely one of them.

yeah it was really good. but if i needed a fendery tone, a voxy tone, or even a more vintage marshally tone, there are cheaper amps which do those tones better.

just because something is one of the best and most versatile single amps, doesn't mean it's worth it if several different amps which add up to the same price would do all those tones better.

of course, as I said already, if there's a reason why it needs to be all in the one amp, then that's different. in that case it is the best.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by shredder3386
I was going to suggest this. Love my axefx II. Why settle with one or two amp tones when you can have every popular amp tone, cab, mic, and pedal? Not to mention super easy direct to DAW recording. Just something to consider.

I actually second this. But, keep in mind that you'd need a power amp of some sort (the power section of a head you already have would do) and a cab.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.

I can think of a few more amps to look at in addition to what has been said so far if you didn't have them on your list.

EVH 5150 III (100 wattr)
Mesa Royal Atlantic/Road King
Peavey 3120
Egnater Vengeance/Renegade
Hughes & Kettner TriAmp/DuoTone
Marshall 6100

I know Mesa is not going to be a good value for you, at least new, but if you get a chance to play a Royal Atlantic you should. Very strait forward. Probably their best attempt at british tone to date.

One amp that I personally do not care for but might be perfect for you is the Marshall JVM.

Also, don't concern yourself too much with 50w vs 100w. That whole argument is getting so ridiculous. I mean, threads on the topic get closed because they never end well. There are a lot of other factors that come into play when you talk about volume. Watts is a ways down that list. Plus, you don't want to rule out a kick ass amp just because it is 100 watts.

I'll think of some others.
What about something like a Two Rock or a Victory? They seem to be able to cover a fair amount of ground and plus the Victories are played by Guthrie Govan

EDIT: saying that, maybe not the Two Rock, i'm not sure. From the artists that I know that use them, a lot of them play more jazz orientated music.
Last edited by ambler3 at Jan 23, 2014,
Great clean and Britishy dirt? Look at the Orange Rockerverb MkII.

The Laney VH100R is also a great amp, if not a little flat next to a Rockerverb (the prices reflect this, I feel )
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Dave_Mc
or the tgp/stupid/boutique tax

I second the rockerverb mkII, seems like it fits your criteria pretty well. Although just looked at the date of your first post.... meh enjoy what you got already