Hi everyone,

First of all, my apologies if this is an often-asked question. I did gather some info, but what I found wasn't very specific to the query I had in mind.

I'm a guitar beginner, looking to purchase my first electric. I used to play around with an old acoustic that used to belong to a friend of mine so that I could learn the basics, now I want to move on to something better so that I can build my skill set better.

I'd like some suggestions on which guitar is preferable. My budget would be $100-$250. The sort of music I love and would want to reproduce is stuff like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Alcest etc. Out of the ones I've seen, I was very fascinated by the Epiphone Les Paul Special II, but it seems to have more of the 70's-80's rock feel to its sound. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Sai
You can pretty much use any guitar to play anything, the overall tone is much more dependent on your amps and pedals.**

Epiphones are good but if you can get a used Les Paul Studio rather than a Special, it'll serve you much better.

**(A vast generalisation, I know. But still more accurate than pigeonholing a single guitar to a single genre.)
Last edited by johnnykbop at Aug 11, 2013,
If you are in the US look at rondo music. best place for budget guitars. Also where are you located cause if you will go used I bet we can find something good for you. Just stay away from the epi specials.
Check out your local Guitar Center/Sam Ash (if you have one) for used Epi LP's. I have found a few gems doing that.
Thanks for the replies. I'll be in Phoenix, Arizona when I'll be getting the guitar.

Looking around in rondoguitar now. I've been staying away from used guitars because I don't know much yet about electric guitars, so it probably will be a big problem if something goes wrong..
If you buy used from a decent store, they should have checked it over, and should be happy to provide help if something goes wrong. Not sure about the US, but in the UK, most used is sold with at least some warranty.

If you treat yourself to a decent book, such the one by Dan Ehrlwine, there's not much can go wrong that you can't put right yourself. And knowing how your guitar works inside out is really useful...and fun! There's no rocket science. It's a plank with vibrating strings, a few magnets and knobs and a few solder joints.

Used is a great option.
I'd go for a second hand epiphone les Paul, really nice guitars for an all round sound and great for beginners. If you wanted new though, Squier Telecasters OR strats are actually not bad at all. I've played for 10 years and still quite like my friends Squier tele as much as my Fender Tele. You can pick em up for under £200 new!
There are several Epiphone LP standards used at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear for $199. And GC has a 30 day return policy also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by romeozdistress
+3 on rondomusic. they have agile al 2000s on sale for $160 + shipping.
http://www.rondomusic.com/al20002tsf.html

This, these are an amazing value. Dont let the price fool you, excellent beginner guitars. Mine has no trouble staying in tune and it sounds great.
Definitely go to your local music store and check out some used guitars, you can find great guitars for good prices. My first guitar was a Epiphone LP used and I still play it 6 years later. I collect guitars
Thanks guys. I'll check out some used Epiphones, but I'm also leaning towards the AL-2000.. I see some really good reviews for that.
http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000tribalpurple.html

Solid mahogany, carved top, quilt maple, set neck, grover tuners, $225 new? That sounds too good to be true.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000tribalpurple.html

Solid mahogany, carved top, quilt maple, set neck, grover tuners, $225 new? That sounds too good to be true.

new nut and electronics and you are good to go.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
If you've only got a $200 budget, Agile is probably the only option you have. It's not a great guitar, but it will at least get you started.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If you've only got a $200 budget, Agile is probably the only option you have. It's not a great guitar, but it will at least get you started.

You still think it's definitely better than the Special II? Because people used the same line to describe the LP Special II.
Quote by saihemachandra.
You still think it's definitely better than the Special II? Because people used the same line to describe the LP Special II.

its def better than that. i honestly like mine better than the traditional pro ive played.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Agile AL-2000
Agile AL-2000
Agile AL-2000
Agile AL-2000
Agile AL-2000
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
Quote by saihemachandra.

The Epi Special II is a pretty bad guitar, an Agile would be a much better guitar. I would say the AL-2000 is on par with the epiphone LP standard, they are just cheaper because they sell direct.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by saihemachandra.

Anything under a Les Paul Studio is mostly just cheap stuff to fill a price band. It's not actually special, that's just a word they're using to entice you.

If it ain't Studio, Standard or Custom, it's not worth it.

(Juniors might get a pass because they're all the way down in the too cheap to go wrong category, but only if it's got a P-90)
Last edited by johnnykbop at Aug 16, 2013,
Hmmm, the Agiles are quite good, actually. I have a friend who has one. Picked it up for like $200. It sounds and plays barely shy of a Gibson LP Standard, at 1/10th the price. Give it some better pickups and maybe a new nut or something and you have a really good guitar for pretty cheap.
P.S. I have played a few LPs in my day, so I'm not talking out of my arse.
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...