Page 1 of 2
I'm at home for the summer since I'm a university student, and for the last 4 months I haven't really done anything.

I get that when you move away people tend to move on with their own lives if they don't go with you, and that doesn't bother me so much - But the people who I still used to talk to and spend time with whenever I would be home seem to have just abandoned me recently, with no explanation or whatever. I try to get into contact with them but I seldom get a reply, and even if I do it's a very short 'conversation' that never results in spending time together. I pretty much only spend time with one friend here who I see on, I guess, a fortnightly basis here. The only other person I talk to is my mother, and she doesn't exactly help my situation ('why won't you get a job!?' Yeah, because I just haven't tried at all, have I? *rolls eyes*).

I haven't argued with anyone, or done anything that could end a friendship... I just don't get it.

So... have any of you ever felt like this? What did you do to cope with loneliness?
"I remember when my parents told my brother he was adopted. I was a little confused myself, but it did explain why he's black."
watch ferris bueller's day off
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
find a hobby. even if you don't want to do it, force yourself to occupy your time. loneliness becomes an issue when you mope around doing nothing, but it's that same feeling that makes it really hard for you to do stuff
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
If I can't spend time with anyone I'll just try to escape it with movies or shows or something. Or listen to music that knows what I'm feeling which makes it seem better
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
It's just part of growing up.

My summer been pretty crap too, people spending time with their bfs/gfs, going on holidays, working all the time, empty conversations promising to spend time together but leading to nothing, it's just the transition into the "real world".

It's just something you have to deal with. I throw myself into gaming and reading books, further your studies and take up a hobby and do social things whenever you can. You're not going to have summers sat in the sun drinking in a park ever again sadly

EDIT: Doing an internship or work experience might really help.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Aug 11, 2013,
Quote by bradulator

same. Watch hearty old goody 80's/90's movies like, Home Alone, The Breakfast Club, Parent Trap, etc. Even though they have no impact on loneliness, they still brighten my life every time I watch them. I guess the nostalgia of the 90's/80's makes me reflect on a time of happiness and joy, which in turn voids the loneliness in my life.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by lushacrous
find a hobby.

I game a lot, play guitar and keep fit by doing cardio and going up the mountain and stuff, but it's just repetitive, you know?

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I throw myself into gaming and reading books, further your studies and take up a hobby and do social things whenever you can.

I've spent most of my summer either preparing for final year or my previously mentioned activities, it's a routine that makes me want to grind my face against the pavement.
"I remember when my parents told my brother he was adopted. I was a little confused myself, but it did explain why he's black."
Made a very similar thread a year ago, but I had more of a long-term problem. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1556904&page=1&pp=40

But you've got uni starting again now, right? I've got a bit more than a week left myself, and aside from trying to review some math I've got no problem just being on the internet, learning some Japanese and reading the Game of Thrones books until then.
Quote by sca.smith
I'm at home for the summer since I'm a university student, and for the last 4 months I haven't really done anything.

I get that when you move away people tend to move on with their own lives if they don't go with you, and that doesn't bother me so much - But the people who I still used to talk to and spend time with whenever I would be home seem to have just abandoned me recently, with no explanation or whatever. I try to get into contact with them but I seldom get a reply, and even if I do it's a very short 'conversation' that never results in spending time together. I pretty much only spend time with one friend here who I see on, I guess, a fortnightly basis here. The only other person I talk to is my mother, and she doesn't exactly help my situation ('why won't you get a job!?' Yeah, because I just haven't tried at all, have I? *rolls eyes*).

I haven't argued with anyone, or done anything that could end a friendship... I just don't get it.

So... have any of you ever felt like this? What did you do to cope with loneliness?

You're a university student? Focus on your studies.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Eat unhealthy food, masturbate, and cry.

Preferably all at the same time.

This.

I read some good science fiction when I'm lonely, it helps me get mid off things.

EDIT: TS, maybe you simply like loneliness, like others of us people who like being alone and feeling worthless. It's better than being with someone else and feeling worthless.
And it hurts so good.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Last edited by TheNameOfNoone at Aug 11, 2013,
Drink black coffee and listen to Rock music.

Man, that combo keeps me insane, and I love being insane.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by progdude93
While lonely, better yourself as a person so people will want to be around you.

Agreed.

Go out and do stuff. Dont just sit around being down all day.
Do something useful. Volunteer at a hospital. Something that cannot be denied as purposeful and meaningful to other people.
Last edited by AllJudasPriest at Aug 11, 2013,
Tbh, the people who are saying better yourself, etc. are probably right.

Doing something constructive, however small, always feels better than doing nothing at all.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
Agreed.

Go out and do stuff. Dont just sit around being down all day.

As I mentioned before, I don't just sit around all day. I don't really have the money to go and do massively interesting things on my own, and even if I do things on my own I can't help but feel alone when doing them.
Quote by sca.smith
As I mentioned before, I don't just sit around all day. I don't really have the money to go and do massively interesting things on my own, and even if I do things on my own I can't help but feel alone when doing them.

Who says that bettering yourself requires spending money? Practice guitar, educate yourself by reading books, learn how to make cocktails, walk old ladies across the street, pick up the accordion, etc.

Learn to cook
write a book
take a look
that way
even if you've been forsook

you'll be all the better for it, and much more self-sufficient.
Quote by sca.smith

You'll just have to go and get a job

Volunteer somewhere, meet some new friends and do something good in the process.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
You'll just have to go and get a job

Volunteer somewhere, meet some new friends and do something good in the process.

This might make me sound like the typical jobless bum, but I have literally applied for every job in my area that I'm capable of reaching. Plus there aren't really any places that I can volunteer at here...
Last edited by sca.smith at Aug 11, 2013,
Quote by sca.smith
This might make me sound like the typical jobless bum, but I have literally applied for every job in my area that I'm capable of reaching.

Getting a job will help you get friends too. And yes, you do sound like a bum.

I had three jobs a few months back, before I got one full time job. Met lots of new friends at each one.

I manage a restaurant and take care of the hiring. You need to hound your way into a job these days. Call them back, be persistent. You really have to want to get hired.
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Aug 11, 2013,
Weed and video games
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
I don't mind being alone. i think thats because I have lots of hobbies that I can do on my own so I never really run out of things to do.
cat
Quote by sca.smith
This might make me sound like the typical jobless bum, but I have literally applied for every job in my area that I'm capable of reaching. Plus there aren't really any places that I can volunteer at here...

Where do you live then ? There has to be something you can do.
Just having a week completely home alone is my idea of a holiday. It sounds fucking boss to not have parents constantly whining at you.
Quote by sca.smith
The only other person I talk to is my mother, and she doesn't exactly help my situation ('why won't you get a job!?' Yeah, because I just haven't tried at all, have I? *rolls eyes*).

Have you actually tried to go by every single establishment you can find, knocking on the door, and asking if they have any vacancies and leaving them with a CV? Just because there is nothing on the job website doesn't mean a job doesn't exist. Employers appreciate it if you do this because it shows that you're using some initiative and that you actually care about getting a job.

I did that and I got myself a job helping a little old lady with some gardening. I'm hardly making any money, but it's what I do to prevent my parents from pestering me. It also helps keep me fit.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 11, 2013,
Probably a reason people don't wanna spend time with you. Just being honest.
Quote by bradulator

No, he's a butt
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by AJScott
Probably a reason people don't wanna spend time with you. Just being honest.

What is?

edit: Oh, "There is probably". But he listed several reasons.
Last edited by Neer at Aug 11, 2013,
Quote by sca.smith

They always need people in charity shops to volunteer, surely you have some of them?

I know getting a job is hard, because I tried for many years to no avail, but getting into volunteering especially just at charity shops is a matter of going in and asking.

Page 1 of 2