So, pretty much I made a post awhile back about getting a book for going to the Bahamas on a vacation. Long story short, I took two tabs of acid on a beautiful beach and listened to Gru- Cosmogenesis.......HALY FAWK. Ive listened to that album many times but christ, never has anything ever sounded so ****ing beautiful. My gf would put different things on but I wasn't getting the feeling I was with that album. So I placed it on repeat. I'm new to guitar only been playing since I signed up. Now that that pointless story is over.....

So, my question is what kind of theory stuff should I study to play this stuff? Obviously the basic theory of music, but what should I be studying in depth to get this kind of style? Also, should I be using a 6 string of a 7 string? I don't want to copy this guy of course but I want that skill level. I know I have the creativity I just don't have the skill or knowledge to write/play it.

I'm not good at guitar really or at least I think so. I can improvise by ear pretty good but I hit a lot of wrong notes still. (blues/classic rock/ some jazz )but this stuff is so complex sounding I cant even follow it. I was never really sure what I really wanted to play on guitar until I had this happen but now Ive decided my only goal in life is to be able to write/play something that beautiful.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
your story was shit my day is shit now you should leave
gurl u salty

Quote by Reverb&Reggae
the honor is mine you funny space orka
You don't need theory to play stuff. Theory is for understanding and explaining stuff. But if you want to understand the style so that you can write similar stuff, yeah, theory will help. To play the songs, you just need to learn all the techniques.

You want to at least learn about time signatures and rhythms. Also learn about harmony. But a very important thing in progressive music is rhythms. They are what makes it sound complex. And also the song structures are usually pretty complex - usually progressive music doesn't follow the basic ABAB(CB)B structure.

But again, for playing songs you only need technique.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Learn how to build Major Scales. Learn and practice the 5 position Major and Minor, Melodic Minor, Harmonic Minor, Diminished, Whole/Half Diminished, Pentatonic and Blues scales in all 12 keys. Learn their arpeggios! Learn chords in key!! These are the basics. Practice thoroughly as well as slowly with a metronome. All of what I mentioned can be found on the web for free.
^ The most important thing is train your ear. Don't just memorize the fingerings - that doesn't help you anywhere. You need to memorize the sound.

To write your own music you need to have a good ear.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115