Hey everyone,

I've recently put a set of Reverend Willie's Mexican Lottery #7 strings on my 2013 Gibson SG Standard. These are Billy Gibbons' signature guitar strings, in his preferred gauge.

I'm posting this because, judging by the reactions of my guitar playing friends, not many people have tried a string even close to this light. So, a review.

This is a simulated unboxing, because they're on the guitar already.

-.007, .009, .011, .020w, .030, .038
-Made by Dunlop. No word as to whether they're a BFG custom metal mixture or simply a lighter version of the standard Dunlop strings.
-$5.99 a pack. About average. I got 'em at $3 each through work.
-Cardboard box with an airtight bag containing 6 individual paper envelopes containing a single string. Also had a small moisture absorbing packet.
-Stringing the guitar was a pit perilous, especially with the high e, because it was so thin I was afraid of accidentally kinking or knotting it.

Once they were on the guitar and tuned, they weren't nearly as delicate. In fact, under tension, I'm pretty convinced that these would be quite a pain to break. They just stretch so readily, they bounce right back to wherever they started. The Reverend claims to never has broken one, and I can see it.

Actually playing on them requires a little adjusting. It's not at all hard to pull your chords out of tune just by fretting too hard. It forces you to adapt a more delicate and light playing style. If you ham-fist at all, it become quite apparent. I found it made me play cleaner.

The most obvious effect of course is the bending. It takes almost no effort. It's not only possible, but easy to bend entire open chords. It's tough to get used to no over-bending your notes, as what's possible on these far and away exceeds what's possible on regular strings. With a little tweaking, I found a 4 step bend possible. Light vibrato is effortless. I had to be careful not to lightly bend when I didn't mean to, because there isn't enough feedback from tension to let me know that it's not center.

I expected them to sound incredibly weak and tinny acoustic. They did not disappoint.

Amplified, they sound... different. A little brighter, a little weaker than a .009 or .010 set. Not at all hard to compensate for with EQ. I run more gain than I do normally, because the strings cause the pickups to react as strongly. With the amp dialed in to compensate, and my playing style sufficiently adapted, my tone is as it was before.

So yeah. They're different. I recommend them simply because it'll cause you to take a look at your playing style. It's a new experience, and while I haven't decided what my next set will be, I've already found that learning how to play on spider web thin strings has improved my skills. So there's that.

In any case, I'll update with my thoughts as I play on them, if I find anyone cares about this thread.

Thanks for reading!
...we came in?

Isn't this where...
Very interesting, i never even knew they made strings that thin. I may give it a shot just for the sake of trying them out considering ive tried everything up to .13
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
nice review, thanks for that

when you say a 4-step bend, you mean 8 semitones, right?

that'd be awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

that'd be awesome

Ya, "step" is american for "whole tone". I can't imagine having enough fretboard to bend up 4 whole tones haha.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Dave_Mc

that'd be awesome

Yeah, I posted this in the wee hours, right before work.

Obvious mistake.
...we came in?

Isn't this where...
I thought Billy Gibbons used .008's Sounds like those are some decent strings you got there though. I might pick up a set for my Kramer tele.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

i've been meaning to try some of these just to see what they are like - the .011 3rd string seems ridiculous
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I started out playing on 8s, I couldn't go that thin any more. It's like playing on rubber bands. I don't often find myself needing to bend half an octave. They go out of tune more easily and don't feel good at all to me. It's like throwing crumpled up paper instead of a baseball. You need some mass there, otherwise it feels like you're trying to throw air.

Might be worth a try if you're curious but I think most people will go right back to their usual gauge.
I tend to prefer thicker strings for the sustain and for how they, when changing chords at lightning speed, don't come up with your fingers as they lift up so much. And harmonics. But I can see some real pluses to using strings that thin. You could do some insane tapping with those things.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Lavatain
Ya, "step" is american for "whole tone". I can't imagine having enough fretboard to bend up 4 whole tones haha.

yeah that's what i thought (both things)

Quote by hydraone
Yeah, I posted this in the wee hours, right before work.

Obvious mistake.

no worries, i was just making sure i understood what you meant
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd like to try some of these out, I currently use 9's but have no particular allegiance to string thickness.

I'm a big fan of 'easier is better' as long as it actually is...and one could do worse than to emulate the Reverend Willy G.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

(a) I'm a big fan of 'easier is better' as long as it actually is...(b) and one could do worse than to emulate the Reverend Willy G.

(a) +1

(b) maybe not the beard, though
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
'Not trying to be controversial here, but this is all based on measuring the string diameters on one of Hendrix's guitars? back in the '80s, guitar magazines (such as Guitar Player) that wrote about Hendrix said he used 7s and 8s.
Nothing was ever mentioned about 10s on the high end, and 008s (038 low-E) on the low end.

George Lynch uses 010s on the high end, and 009s (042 low-E) on the low-end. Perhaps this would be a good compromise of 010-038 sets are not available.
win lottery