Page 1 of 2
I have had my Epiphone "Joe Perry Boneyard for over 5 years now and it is my first and only guitar i have had , just wondering if people think it is worth holding on to or should i sell and get a gibson ?
Keep it, you will not get much at all for it. Then save for a used LP studio and you will have 2 good guitars.

If you do sell it, sell it on your own don't trade it in to a store, you will get nothing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Keep it, you will not get much at all for it. Then save for a used LP studio and you will have 2 good guitars.

If you do sell it, sell it on your own don't trade it in to a store, you will get nothing
I was thinking about trying to get one off ebay but i heard some on ebay are fake gibson and some are hard to tell . I wouldnt be able to buy i new one unless i sell my EP i would get a used one .
What is your:
budget
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
What is your:
budget
location uk cheshire . I could get about 1000 to spend I play mostly soft rock hard rock some metal -
Neither, for that money you could get a guitar with better quality and have more to spare for pedals, amps etc to enhance your sound.
"I would happily pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today"

-Poldo (the guy with both hands in his pockets!)
for the money you listed, you can get the new LPJ. Not the prettiest thing in the world but it's a Gibson USA guitar for less than a grand and it's got good humbuckers in it
You should look at the older PRS CE22/24 if they fall in your budget where your at.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dazzzer30
I have had my Epiphone "Joe Perry Boneyard for over 5 years now and it is my first and only guitar i have had , just wondering if people think it is worth holding on to or should i sell and get a gibson ?

What do you think is better with the Gibson ?

here are the specs of your Boneyard....

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Electric_Signature_Models#Joe_Perry_Boneyard_LP

it already has Gibson Burstbuckers....

Sure you can sell it a t a good price, cause they are sought after...
Quote by dreid77447
for the money you listed, you can get the new LPJ. Not the prettiest thing in the world but it's a Gibson USA guitar for less than a grand and it's got good humbuckers in it

This would be a downgrade....

read the specs of his Epi ?
Quote by paruwi
This would be a downgrade....

read the specs of his Epi ?
Guitars are not computers. Spec sheets mean very little.
Quote by al112987
Guitars are not computers. Spec sheets mean very little.

yeah, they're useless if you don't read them - and talk about it...

so in your words, the Gibson Burstbuckers on his guitar, compared to regular Epi pups mean very little.....

i'd go MIJ over either, which is within your budget for a nice Les Paul.

Burny, Tokai, Orville by Gibson, Bacchus, Greco EG800 or ^, Edwards...

i saw a nice bacchus go for $600 on the auctions yesterday, so probably $850 after taxes/shipping/etc. dude got a steal.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by paruwi
yeah, they're useless if you don't read them - and talk about it...

so in your words, the Gibson Burstbuckers on his guitar, compared to regular Epi pups mean very little.....

Yes, it means very little.

Would you put the Epi les paul on the same level as a Gibson R9? They both have burstbuckers.
Quote by al112987
Yes, it means very little.

Would you put the Epi les paul on the same level as a Gibson R9? They both have burstbuckers.

Nobody talked about a R9

My response was to a post where we talked about an Gibson LPJ

once again, reading can help
Quote by Mephaphil
I have a R9!

Get one of those.

budget = 1000 somethings.
I would recommend that you go to a shop and try some gibsons and see if you think it's worth the upgrade. That's the only way you're really going to find out if you should trade it in for a gibson or not.

Quote by paruwi
Nobody talked about a R9

I think al's point is, if you're going to rely solely on the spec sheet like that, you might as well claim that the joe perry boneyard LP is as good as an R9 because it has the same pickups. i'm sure you'll agree that would be a ridiculous claim, but it follows the same logic you are using to claim that the LPJ would be a downgrade.

the problem with comparing spec sheets is, a spec sheet doesn't tell you anything about the build quality and performance of a guitar.

Quote by gregs1020
budget = 1000 somethings.

he said "location uk cheshire" so i presume £1000
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Mephaphil
then he should buy this.

ftfy
Quote by paruwi
Nobody talked about a R9

Nice effort on the straw man, but you might want to try a little harder next time.

Read Blompcube's post above mine, he summarized nicely.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 12, 2013,
I think al's point is, if you're going to rely solely on the spec sheet like that, you might as well claim that the joe perry boneyard LP is as good as an R9 because it has the same pickups. i'm sure you'll agree that would be a ridiculous claim, but it follows the same logic you are using to claim that the LPJ would be a downgrade.

the problem with comparing spec sheets is, a spec sheet doesn't tell you anything about the build quality and performance of a guitar.

a lot of ridiculous assumptions, don't you think ?

Can you tell me the upgrades from the Boneyard to the LPJ ?
the not existing bindings on the body and neck ?
the half finished top ?
the look like a toy ' ?
the build quality of those 'entry level' Gibsons is not that great,
and I haven't read about it in spec lists - I've played a lot of them myself

and suggesting a R9 in the pricerange the OP asked is more than ridiculous
Last edited by paruwi at Aug 12, 2013,
Quote by paruwi
a lot of ridiculous assumptions, don't you think ?

Can you tell me the upgrades from the Boneyard to the LPJ ?
the not existing bindings on the body and neck ?
the half finished top ?
the look like a toy ' ?
the build quality of those 'entry level' Gibsons is not that great,
and I haven't read about it in spec lists - I've played a lot of them myself

and suggesting a R9 in the pricerange the OP asked is more than ridiculous

Wow, is your ability to comprehend really THIS poor? No one recommended an R9. It was brought up just to drive home the point that spec sheets are about as useless as tits on a boar, and calling the Boneyard to LPJ a downgrade based on the spec sheet is about as stupid as calling the Boneyard equivalent to an R9 based on the spec sheet.
Quote by al112987
No one recommended an R9.

Quote by Mephaphil
I have a R9!

Get one of those.

I stand by my statement. Everyone should have one.
Quote by al112987
Wow, is your ability to comprehend really THIS poor? No one recommended an R9. It was brought up just to drive home the point that spec sheets are about as useless as tits on a boar, and calling the Boneyard to LPJ a downgrade based on the spec sheet is about as stupid as calling the Boneyard equivalent to an R9 based on the spec sheet.

Your ability to read and comprehend seems really poor..........

Quote by paruwi
Your ability to read and comprehend seems really poor..........

Since i understood what al meant and he understood what i meant, i think you're misunderstanding both of us, and then arguing against your incorrect interpretation of what we're saying. And maybe we're not fully understanding what you're trying to say either. In any case, it's not contributing anything useful to this thread, and needs to stop.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
Since i understood what al meant and he understood what i meant, i think you're misunderstanding both of us, and then arguing against your incorrect interpretation of what we're saying. And maybe we're not fully understanding what you're trying to say either. In any case, it's not contributing anything useful to this thread, and needs to stop.

Yeah, you seem like father and son

I need to leave this shitty place full of idiots
For a thousand quid, you could probably get a Gibson Les Paul Standard. If not, definitely a LP Studio. If you're talking about 1000 pennies, have fun with your First Act.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by paruwi

Yea, it's us. It's everyone else, it can't possibly be you misunderstanding.
Quote by paruwi

You're 100% right. We are all idiots, each and every one of us. So what the hell are you still doing on this forum? Please leave. Leave and never ever come back.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 12, 2013,
Quote by paruwi

The door is finicky, so dont let it hit you on the way out.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 12, 2013,
Anyway, to bring this thread back onto topic so it doesn't get closed...

My recommendation is to go Gibson. It comes down to this, if you want a Gibson, then you're not really going to be satisfied until you have a Gibson. But if you are going to sell the Epi for one, then I would advise on holding off unless you can buy one that you know you won't regret down the road, even if it means saving up for longer. If you can stretch the $1000ish price range a little more, then you may be able to pick up a used les paul traditional. The big reason I don't put any stock into a spec sheet, is because the specs on most of these are, for all intents and purposes, the same for guitars that can feel and sound very different once you actually have them in your hands. I also don't put much stock into what pickups come in a guitar, because swapping pickups is something of a trivial matter. It's a 15 minute job that you can easily do at home. Swapping the guitar itself, however, is not. And while pickups can and do get expensive, even a set of $140 Seymour Duncan '59s are, imo, a pretty solid upgrade from Gibson burstbuckers. Making a decision on a guitar for the pickups it comes with is like buying a car for the tires that comes on it.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 13, 2013,
What kind of amp do you have? You should upgrade your amp before your guitar. The Epi you have is just fine. I'd get my amp and other gear where I want it first, then add another guitar. I wouldn't sell your Epi either, hold on to it. You wouldn't get it's worth and 2 guitars are better than 1
I have a tube Tubemeister 8 amp I guess My EPI sounds good to me and i do like the look of it , I guess i just wanted a gibson all wood - , I will keep my EPI but will save up 1500.00 pounds!! before xmas to spend - I could save more if i wait till next year , not sure if to buy a used one or new
Quote by dazzzer30
I have a tube Tubemeister 8 amp I guess My EPI sounds good to me and i do like the look of it , I guess i just wanted a gibson all wood - , I will keep my EPI but will save up 1500.00 pounds!! before xmas to spend - I could save more if i wait till next year , not sure if to buy a used one or new

It's up to you whether to buy used or new. Buying used is always a risk, but you'll have the guitar you want in your hands far sooner. People on this forum insist going used, but I've had horrible experiences with going down that route. I've bought guitars that look perfect but are actually complete lemons with tons of hidden problems. It's up to you.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 13, 2013,
^ +1

People act like nothing can ever go wrong if you go used (or if it does, it's your own fault). That's just not true.

Conversely you're obviously paying a premium going new.

It's really your call, you have to live with the decision. Just be wary of anyone who tells you you must do it one way or the other, especially if they don't know your particular situation (which is almost a given considering we're on the internet).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think most of the sound depends on the fingers and the player, then everything else. I 'm not saying I wouldn't buy a Gibson if I had the extra money, but I'm perfectly satisfied with the Epiphone Dot I bought this year. They are beautiful guitars and play great, and anyone saying they're just for beginners is full of BS. When it comes to semi-hollows, I think Epiphone holds its own. Even though my guitar is from China, it's well made and very playable, has the lowest action of all my guitars, tons of sustain, nice neck and good alnico pickups. Hear for yourself here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-CQtfUJ0E0

I'm sure the Gibson ES 335 is a great guitar but so is this one. Again, if I had the 3000+ bucks I'm sure I'd buy the Gibson, but then would I take it everywhere gigging with me, I'm not so sure.
Page 1 of 2