Page 1 of 5
I am getting near the end of a long Facebook debate with my friend, who plays guitar and sings in a funk band, about emotion in music. He claims he can hear emotions when he hears songs. He says you can hear emotion in John Frusciante's guitar playing. He thinks some how, John Frusciante uses quantum science to attach neurotransmitters to the sound waves he produces and they release amino acids and hormones into the atmosphere thus creating emotion. This ISNT exactly what he said, but you get my view on the subject.

I think, mostly when talking about fast guitar players, that people in general seem to think and take into consideration emotion when developing opinions on music. I dont think emotion exists in this context. I see emotion as part of the artist's personality. All of these character traits get moved around by personal skill and creativity (which is placement of notes, ie phrasing, and this is ranked by what you expect and have heard before, individuality). How can you judge a musician based on what feelings he experiences?
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Aug 12, 2013,
To the main question:

How can you judge a musician based on what feelings he experiences?

I think that always factors in subconsciously whether we choose to go by it or not. For instance, if we take a band like say, Emmure, and then see what those guys write about and its mostly about fist fights, unrealistic boasts and hookers, then you can rightly say that this is a band that has the emotional capacity of an angry dog with a stick up its bum.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
If we are talking about instrumental music, then no you are not hearing emotions. You are hearing sound waves which have been created by an artist.

They may have been in a certain emotional state when they composed the piece, and you may interpret this when you hear it. You may interpret something completely different from what was intended, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether or not you enjoy the song.

With lyrical music emotions tend to be much clearer, as you have the actual lyrics to connect with, as well as the vocalist's voice. With instrumental music it is generally more open to interpretation.
I am talking about when people say bucketheads playing sucks cuz it has no emotions. That is their fault for not feeling emotion when exposed to a series of notes. The notes dont have emotion but they trigger emotion if you allow it. your fault for not likeing it not bucketheads.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I am talking about when people say bucketheads playing sucks cuz it has no emotions. That is their fault for not feeling emotion when exposed to a series of notes. The notes dont have emotion but they trigger emotion if you allow it. your fault for not likeing it not bucketheads.

I would assume what they are trying to say is "I personally find no emotional core to Buckethead's guitar playing", which is an opinion they are entitled to. Whether or not a piece of music has "emotion" is subjective.
Quote by entity0009
but bends tho

they r so deep tho

I came in this thread to say this.

Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
Quote by Random3
I would assume what they are trying to say is "I personally find no emotional core to Buckethead's guitar playing", which is an opinion they are entitled to. Whether or not a piece of music has "emotion" is subjective.

But what does emotional core mean? BTW you are amazing guitar player, just felt like telling you lol
i do not find any sort of emotional connection in bucketheads music and do not resonate with the ideas that he presents to me on that level. which is a fairly legitimate claim to make (to suggest otherwise is silly), & a fairly legitimate detracting point one can make against the music on a personal level. objective analysis of music is piss anyways.

this thread generally sucks.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
He says you can hear emotion in John Frusciante's guitar playing. He thinks some how, John Frusciante uses quantum science to attach neurotransmitters to the sound waves he produces and they release amino acids and hormones into the atmosphere thus creating emotion. This ISNT exactly what he said, but you get my view on the subject.

Ask him what evidence he has for this and take it up with a scientist.

I think, mostly when talking about fast guitar players, that people in general seem to think and take into consideration emotion when developing opinions on music. I dont think emotion exists in this context. I see emotion as part of the artist's personality. All of these character traits get moved around by personal skill and creativity (which is placement of notes, ie phrasing, and this is ranked by what you expect and have heard before, individuality). How can you judge a musician based on what feelings he experiences?

"emotion" and "feeling" are all subjective identifiers for things each person has a different perception of. To have an actual discussion on something like that in music is pointless outside of, "I enjoy this and you do not 'cause I enjoy this and you do not"/
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But what does emotional core mean? BTW you are amazing guitar player, just felt like telling you lol

Thank you, wasn't expecting that

Emotion in music is just whatever you personally interpret from it.

Like say you are watching the Lion King. The scene where (spoilers I guess) Simba finds Mufassa's body was supposed to be extremely sad. If however someone doesn't find it sad, they find it funny, then that is their interpretation of it.

It's the same with music, but much more subtle, particularly with instrumental music. If you interpret anger from a piece of music when it was intended to be melancholic, that doesn't matter. The point is that you interpreted emotions from a piece of music.

If someone says "Buckethead's playing has no emotion" then I would take that as meaning the person cannot interpret any emotions from his music. I am not sure if there is a better way to explain it but that's the way I see it.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
He thinks some how, John Frusciante uses quantum science to attach neurotransmitters to the sound waves he produces and they release amino acids and hormones into the atmosphere thus creating emotion.

That part is a serious load of BS, but I do think there is a way to 'play with emotion'. This is all opinion based, but: I think it has a lot to do with how something is played. How much vibrato you're putting in, how you bend your notes, and how you go about attacking your notes as a whole. All of those things combine to help the listener better feel an emotion, and perhaps if the musician is lucky, the emotion they're trying to convey.

Another way of putting it is that the more 'feeling' you put into what you're playing, the better the emotions of the song are conveyed. But at the same time, the emotion depends on the song and is subjective to the listener.

As far as fast guitar players go, I think that's where it gets more difficult because they're flying through way more notes per bar than say, a slow blues guitarist is, and therefore too confined to the notes to add all the other stuff, and then it can come out somewhat colder and more lifeless.

I dunno

Just what I think about the matter.
some music expresses & brings out certain emotions generally better than other music. some music doesnt offer much emotional value to most people at all. i dont rly see how u can suggest otherwise friend
Quote by Thrashtastic15
i do not find any sort of emotional connection in bucketheads music and do not resonate with the ideas that he presents to me on that level. which is a fairly legitimate claim to make (to suggest otherwise is silly), & a fairly legitimate detracting point one can make against the music on a personal level. objective analysis of music is piss anyways.

this thread generally sucks.

why do you have to find any sort of emotion connection in music to resonate with the ideas he presents?
Quote by Chris3235
I came in this thread to say this.

Time to write an emotional song titled "Denied Bends".

In a post-ironic twist, it has lots of bends. For extra emotion.
🙈 🙉 🙊
@mjones no they arent! for the love of god dont say that vibrato makes emotions. it doesnt. that is just a popular opinion because the consensus is monkey see monkey do. it doesnt take emotion to add vibrato therefor vibrato does not represent any emotino
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
why do you have to find any sort of emotion connection in music to resonate with the ideas he presents?

i didnt say that, if you cant read you should smoke less.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
My take on it is that you create the emotional aspect of what you listen to. You apply your own experiences, bias, whatever, to a song. If a song inherently has emotion, then everyone would feel roughly the same about every song in existence.

that is a part of it but certain songs can have more elements that people would typically associate with certain ideas, concepts, moods, emotion. not every person.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
i didnt say that, if you cant read you should smoke less.

dont you dare start the insult game with me mr grammatical genius. you dont see any emotional connection and cant resonate on its level. why cant you resonate?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
My take on it is that you create the emotional aspect of what you listen to. You apply your own experiences, bias, whatever, to a song. If a song inherently has emotion, then everyone would feel roughly the same about every song in existence.

iv said this a million times.

but it brings me to my initial question, how are people determining their opinion on music based off an emotional aspect?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
dont you dare start the insult game with me mr grammatical genius. you dont see any emotional connection and cant resonate on its level. why cant you resonate?

what a nothing question maybe you should be smoking more?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
@mjones no they arent! for the love of god dont say that vibrato makes emotions. it doesnt. that is just a popular opinion because the consensus is monkey see monkey do. it doesnt take emotion to add vibrato therefor vibrato does not represent any emotino

....omg I didn't at all mean it creates emotion. I said that it can help convey it among other things. Read the goddamn post before you go into attack mode bro.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
what a nothing question maybe you should be smoking more?

your immaturity is showing. you arent proving anything. i asked you a question and all you can do is insult, dont respond unless you can mature up and have a more professional conversation.
Quote by mjones1992
....omg I didn't at all mean it creates emotion. I said that it can help convey it among other things. Read the goddamn post before you go into attack mode bro.

Everything conveys emotion. Why specifically point something out?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
your immaturity is showing. you arent proving anything. i asked you a question and all you can do is insult, dont respond unless you can mature up and have a more professional conversation.

Christ you've gotta be fucking kidding me.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

lmao maybe if you were able to hand;e your shitty weed you would be able to coherently read what i was stating and understand the initial point before creating a counter-point. i cant have a professional conversation lol
Quote by Thrashtastic15
lmao maybe if you were able to hand;e your shitty weed you would be able to coherently read what i was stating and understand the initial point before creating a counter-point. i cant have a professional conversation lol

Are you drunk?
Quote by Venice King

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
^ Check it out
Quote by Thrashtastic15

I asked you why you dont find any emotional connection and why you dont resonate on its level. You flipped shit.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
iv said this a million times.

but it brings me to my initial question, how are people determining their opinion on music based off an emotional aspect?

In the same way that people base their opinions on books based off of emotions. The stronger the emotion that an individual places upon a piece, the more they're likely to listen to it again, whether the emotion is positive, aggressive, saddening, etc. Of course, if you place a strong feeling of disgust to a song, you probably won't listen to it again.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Everything conveys emotion. Why specifically point something out?

...because it was in regards to the question? And again. read the goddamn post before you go into attack mode. I also mentioned a few other things... Are you dyslexic? It's like you saw the words 'vibrato' and 'emotion' in the same general vicinity and flipped your shit.

The empty glass on my nightstand conveys emotion. What are you getting at?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I asked you why you dont find any emotional connection and why you dont resonate on its level. You flipped shit.

you challenged me on a point i didnt make & then asked a question that has already been answered. what a waste of time. calling you dumb after you act dumb isnt "flipping shit", lol. enjoy yr bad thread.
How can you "hear" emotions? An emotion is an abstract, intangible concept. It can't be perceived in any way.

You can perceive an expression of emotion - that's it.
Quote by CoreysMonster
How can you "hear" emotions? An emotion is an abstract, intangible concept. It can't be perceived in any way.

You can perceive an expression of emotion - that's it.

Surely that's the same sort of thing? Just a different way of wording it?
Quote by Venice King

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
^ Check it out
this is my first post. hope i dont say the wrong thing

if music is art, then what is the purpose of art but to inspire emotion? wouldn't beauty just be symmetry if it was not also breath-taking? if art was cold, it would cease to be art to me. i always thought emotion was the whole point. there are some artists who seem as if their technical ability removes the emotive aspect of their playing. my theory is, those people just haven't figured out how to tell a story or a joke. (yet) you can be a genius and not be an exciting player.
if i gave examples, certainly someone would wonder if i was deaf. they would hear what i do not. for me, i just try not to get in the way, and let it be in me whatever it wants to be.
I want to be the Robert De Niro of Asia
Quote by Chris3235
Surely that's the same sort of thing? Just a different way of wording it?

Well when you're talking about emotions, and you say "I can really feel the emotion in this song", you're not saying that you actually feel what the musician was feeling. You're relating to the emotional expression in the playing through your own emotions, and kind of projecting yourself onto it, because emotions can only be subjective. You'll never truly feel what the artist was feeling.

Or when you say "This is an emotional song", what are you really saying? That it makes you feel emotional, that you can see/hear that the artist was emotional while writing/playing it?

Really it's a topic that you can keep on going deeper and deeper into, what with psychology, biology and even philosophy or whatever, but bringing quantum physics into it is just stupid.
Page 1 of 5