I've been having some pain/soreness in the thumb muscle of my fretting hand, about where the thumb connects to the rest of the hand. i imagine this is due to stretching, as i've been working on a lot of new passages lately that my hands aren't used to. I've read that any pain is bad. Should I stop playing for a bit? Is something likely wrong with my form? Are there massages or stretches I could implement? The part of the hand that is sore is a rough one to target through traditional stretching.

Thanks guys.
any help with this? it comes and goes as i play, especially practicing scales where my pinky has to stretch...
This particular problem is all too common for most inexperienced guitarists. The problem is that you are using your thumb to generate the force needed to fret the notes, and you are probably fretting too hard. That force should come from your fingers. The thumb is really only there to support the neck. Other than that, it doesn't really serve too much of a purpose except for stability and control while bending or using vibrato, and certain chords which require the thumb as an extra fretting finger. Loosen your grip and practice fretting with your fingers instead of your thumb. It might sound a little confusing, but I'm almost positive that's your problem.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I'm pretty sure I get what you mean---essentially that i'm gripping w/ my thumb and causing pressure between the thumb and my fingers, whereas, what i should be doing is just using the thumb as a stopping point and using the pressure of my fingers to fret the notes?
Quote by RyanMW2010
I'm pretty sure I get what you mean---essentially that i'm gripping w/ my thumb and causing pressure between the thumb and my fingers, whereas, what i should be doing is just using the thumb as a stopping point and using the pressure of my fingers to fret the notes?

Bingo. Once you get used to that and get used to using as little pressure and tension as possible, the pain should stop.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.