So I took my Carvin ST300C to a technician a few weeks ago and he said the reason why it don't have great action is because I have a Floyd with a neck that has a straight 14" radius, VS a compound radius like Jackson guitars. He suggested that I shim the floyd to correct this problem, and it made sense at the time but I wanted to ask you all if this is all credible information here. The guy seemed pretty legit, but you can never be too careful.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Shim a floyd rose? I've heard of shimming a neck, I've done that. But to do that you need a bolt on neck. Which you don't have. All a compound radius does is make it easier to bend on the higher frets and do chords easier on the lower frets. I have a Jackson and know that too.

Your floyd is recessed, meaning you can pull up or down. All you need to do is loosen your strings to rid of their tension and then lower the 2 pivot posts that the floyd floats against to lower your action.

Quote by Freddiez79
Yes your bridge should match the fret board most fr are 10" so you would want to shim the saddles some people do this with foil but there is metal shims you can buy from all parts for this.

Completely forgot about those! However, from the floyd rose website in the Q&A, floyd roses are set to 12" radius and will be 10" with a shim under the two middle strings. If your radius is 14" then you shouldn't have too much trouble unless someone's put some shims in before you.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Last edited by Lavatain at Aug 12, 2013,
Yes your bridge should match the fret board most fr are 10" so you would want to shim the saddles some people do this with foil but there is metal shims you can buy from all parts for this.
Quote by Lavatain
Shim a floyd rose? I've heard of shimming a neck, I've done that. But to do that you need a bolt on neck. Which you don't have. All a compound radius does is make it easier to bend on the higher frets and do chords easier on the lower frets. I have a Jackson and know that too.

Your floyd is recessed, meaning you can pull up or down. All you need to do is loosen your strings to rid of their tension and then lower the 2 pivot posts that the floyd floats against to lower your action.

Completely forgot about those! However, from the floyd rose website in the Q&A, floyd roses are set to 12" radius and will be 10" with a shim under the two middle strings. If your radius is 14" then you shouldn't have too much trouble unless someone's put some shims in before you.

My problem is that my action is still way too high for my liking, unlike my Charvel which has a compound radius, I've had it setup by 2 different techs and while its ok now....its not how I like it. Granted my Charvel is setup with 9's, it still has CRAZY low action, and NO fret buzz whatsoever.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by RBM01991
My problem is that my action is still way too high for my liking, unlike my Charvel which has a compound radius, I've had it setup by 2 different techs and while its ok now....its not how I like it. Granted my Charvel is setup with 9's, it still has CRAZY low action, and NO fret buzz whatsoever.

Have you tried lowering the posts? Fret buzz could be high frets. I recently got myself some tools to test for high frets and file them away properly and it's made a world of difference to my guitars' playability. If it's only high action on the middle strings, with the outer strings being fine, then yeah you're problem is an incorrect radius on the floyd and may need shimming.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
If I understand correct, a shim under each of the outside, and 1 or 2 shims on the B and A, no shim on the centre two may make the radius right, then lower the posts
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 13, 2013,