im having one hell of a time trying to say the notes as I play a scale. I know the pattern is WWhWWWh for major scales, that that BC and EF have no half steps, but unless I have a piano keyboard to help me cheat, i get so slow and stuck I forget even what scale im on.

it's getting very discouraging, and I have been trying to do this since december. any hints? or do I jsut need to keep going untill i "get it"
well. Try this. it helped me a lot.

Play those chords: G, EM, C, AM
4/4 record it i mean loop it.
When you hear the 4 beats of G chord. At first beat play G note in the second position C maj scale. Play a different G note next time. On em chord play an E, on C chord play C and on am play Am. do it. And next thing is at first beat play a G(dont use open strings), next beat of G play another G and so at thrid. At last beat let it ring. Do it as well. This will push you . Keep doing it. Next time go on triads. G,B,D. Look?! Theory helps
Believe me you ll find it hard to find the E notes at second phase. I mean different Es or for E chord for each 3 beats. It will eat you up . then go on G scale 2nd positon. Then A, D ,F, B,E. You'll master both scales and notes and memorization at 2nd position.
Andddd tabs wont help but it will.
look do what i said. for 1 month. at most 2 months. always study with metronome. in this way you 'll also have it under control the 6-7 major scales. on 2nd position.

1 month later go on 5th position do all of them. but this time change the c maj scale . the pattern should be the c in high e string the c note on pinky finger ok.

omg this is a super ubber tecnique. then g,a,d,e,f so all the scales on 5th postion. then go to 8th postiton. later 12. so youll also learn open string notes. we all know them but we cant figure out the notes when we dont study before the key.

believe me. omg since december. you'll memorize all the notes even sharps and flats in the fretboard.
a freq asked question. a faq: should i name it sharp or flat. name it sharp when its like: C D# E. the scale ie. there is no D note. so you can call it d sharp. or e flat. but if theres an e dont call another e. same vice versa other way round for flats.

if you finish these little pre-arpeggio practices. well my amigo, you'll advance to real arpeggios in the key of C maj 2nd position. play all the strings. then go on G key,A,D,F,B,E. in this way. you'll come up with a lot of chord knowledge. you'll say what is E flat major and minor. and e major and minor and for instance e diminished etc(all the notes) so you ll finish half of the classical theory with chords. later you shall add 7.9.11.13 if you r on jazz. well thats enough for metal and rock i think.
later on 5th position and 8th and 12th. the cool thing is. it gets easier. yes. when you finish all the keys in 2nd position the 5 will be lots of easier. esp on arpeggios. because when you play all the scales in 2nd position when u advance to 5th position you'll see that you have already practiced all the same arpeggio patterns thats so cool.

a tip for arpeggios for everyone: when you play 4 strings AM. A C E ie. name the chord: on triads like A MINOR(aloud). then play A C E A
yes they shall help. i learned them from a true virtuoso. i wish i had 2 chance 2 take more lessons. and tom hess would teach them for like 1000 dollars if ur a begginer. so u owe me :P
You appear to be missing a vital step...LISTEN to the notes
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Chronic-Headach
im having one hell of a time trying to say the notes as I play a scale. I know the pattern is WWhWWWh for major scales, that that BC and EF have no half steps, but unless I have a piano keyboard to help me cheat, i get so slow and stuck I forget even what scale im on.

it's getting very discouraging, and I have been trying to do this since december. any hints? or do I jsut need to keep going untill i "get it"
learn the pattern of the scales - you don't need to say the notes when doing scales can u imagine when playing a scale super fast and trying to say the notes lol
i think he means, when he randomly picks a note, he cant tell what it is. Not playing super fast. no one can do that also its not needed.
However, if you do what i say you'll memorize notes like seagull says. When you imagine ie c maj scale in 2nd pos. You'll hear the notes trust me. And you wont find sight reading hard. Playing tracks with notes. Esp playing and building chords from sheet music bon chance!
Later you can check 30 hours steve vai excercises and later rock discipline.
Start by just saying the note names, in order, to a metronome click. Set it to 60 and just say "C D E F G A B C". Do that will all 12 major scales. Then sit down with the guitar and say them while you play the notes.
do you study all the maj scales? Just curious? @cdgraves

F# G# A# C# maj scales are the ones im afraid of... Is it necessery. I dont know.. I think in time i can master all the 7 maj scales later harmonic minor etc. But 12 of them seems hard to me. :S

Edit: spell.
Last edited by vankedisi at Aug 13, 2013,
Its more important to know the scale degrees at any given time....so its more important to know that you are now fretting the major7th of the major scale or the minor 6th for example than that note is the note x or y etc etc etc...It also helps you soloing cause when you solo you actually target scale degrees....you finish on the root on the third or wherever but if you dont know that you just play dots on patterns.

So to summarize...

1) Know the intervallic pattern of the scale you study for example for the natural minor:
1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

2) Know the sound of the scale and be able to sing it(even before play it on the guitar)

3) Know the scale degrees and where they are located on the fretboard.

So you can recite the notes of the scale as you play it ,that may help you learn the notes on the fretboard but ll teach you nothing about the essence of the scale itself .
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Aug 14, 2013,
Quote by Dreamdancer11
Its more important to know the scale degrees at any given time....so its more important to know that you are now fretting the major7th of the major scale or the minor 6th for example than that note is the note x or y etc etc etc...It also helps you soloing cause when you solo you actually target scale degrees....you finish on the root on the third or wherever but if you dont know that you just play dots on patterns.

So to summarize...

1Know the intervallic pattern of the scale you study for example for the natural minor:
1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

2Know the sound of the scale and be able to sing it(even before play it on the guitar)

3Know the scale degrees and where they are located on the fretboard.

So you can recite the notes of the scale as you play it ,that may help you learn the notes on the fretboard but ll teach you nothing about the essence of the scale itself .

Agree, the interval is very important at some level. If you can remember intervals well, you can "spell" out scales and chords at anywhere on fretboard.
Quote by vankedisi
do you study all the maj scales? Just curious? @cdgraves

F# G# A# C# maj scales are the ones im afraid of... Is it necessery. I dont know.. I think in time i can master all the 7 maj scales later harmonic minor etc. But 12 of them seems hard to me. :S

Edit: spell.

Yes. When you look into this, there's a simple pattern to the sharps and flats. There's really nothing difficult about it.

G# and A# aren't really scales you'll run into. Not that there's anything more difficult about them, but doubling up on sharps and flats is unnecessary in most circumstances. 99% of the time, you'll be looking at Ab and Bb, which are very common.