I don't remember ever being taught trig at high school (UK) so i'm trying to teach myself now. Really it's part of a larger scheme to get into physics (I'm a history major at school, but want more science skills) but i need to brush up on my algebra and trig skills first.

I'm watching the below video (at the bottom), and i'm trying to work out the last tan equation (tan .36 = 3/A) as he leaves it unexplained after going through the cos equation. I can't do it. I can't work out what the tan .36 is using an online scientific calculator.

Could someone talk me through how to work this out?

So far i've got

tan (.36) = 3/A

=

A tan (.36) = 3

or

A = 3/tan (.36)

For this equation the answer is 8 if i have followed the video correctly, but i don't know how to get from that equation in bold to the answer 8.

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoXmKYjpLGk
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Aug 12, 2013,
The answer is 7.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Avedas
?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3%2F%28tan%28.36%29%29

using a calculator, press the tan button and then press .36

might vary depending on model, but that's an issue with your calculator more than anything else

Yah, my biggest problem is that i don't own a scientific calculator and rely on online ones which give me varying answers.

Like for instance in that video he gives cos .36 as 8√73/73 rather than as a decimal
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Aug 12, 2013,
tan .36 = 3/A

Multiply by A to give Atan0.36=3

Divide by tan0.36

A=3/tan0.36

Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by homeless-john
All I remember about trigonometry is the mnemonic "All Slappers Take Cash"

Never calling it the CAST diagram again
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Never calling it the CAST diagram again

+1
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
If you need a scientific calculator, you can use the one on Windows.

Just enter calculator, click view, and then scientific, for those useful functions. I would suggest getting a reasonable priced one and learning to use it though, they can last through degrees unless you need a graphing calculator.

As for the question itself, others have already solved it. One last bit of advice, you may not ever learn about the difference between degrees and radians, but make sure you know which one you are working with at the time. I didn't watch the video, but that question seems like it's in radians to me, so working in degrees would give an incorrect answer, you'd need to convert or work through it.
Quote by Elderer
life without math is beatiful

The beauty of Mathematics has become...almost religious for me.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
its B. Always pick B.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Elderer

Based on this statement and your spelling, I'm just gonna assume you're not very smart. No need to validate this assumption; I know I'm right.
Quote by Elderer

Only if you view it as work.

Maths can be shockingly beautiful.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you were educated in the UK then you were definitely taught it because it's on the curriculum.

I was in a lower set for maths. Pythagorean theorem is as much as i can remember doing
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
I was in a lower set for maths. Pythagorean theorem is as much as i can remember doing

So was I and I did it.
Quote by Elderer

life without spelling is amzing
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
So was I and I did it.

In which case i only have myself to blame for finding this hard as I obviously wasn't paying much attention. I genuinely don't remember any of this
TS, you should just take a precalc class and it will solve all your problems