hi everyone, i've been playing guitar for several years now so this might seem like a stupid question.

recently i've become really conscious of how i am picking with my right hand. is the joint which joins one half of the thumb to the other meant to be bending as i pick or should i be keeping it straight and using my wrist?

i think the joint i'm talking about is labelled as the IP joint on this image. (i hope this is making sense to someone haha)

thanks guys
The actual motion for your picking should really come from your wrist but it doesn't matter that much if your thumb flexes a bit; forcing yourself not to flex it would be much worse.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The actual motion for your picking should really come from your wrist but it doesn't matter that much if your thumb flexes a bit; forcing yourself not to flex it would be much worse.

Thanks for the response, would holding the pick further back so it's over the joint help? (I have just been trying this and it seems to be alright)
Quote by Decimus_
Thanks for the response, would holding the pick further back so it's over the joint help? (I have just been trying this and it seems to be alright)

If you can make it work then I say go for it. This is a pretty small area of technique and I've seen a good number of people get really good results that way. I could never really make it work for me but that's no reason not to do it
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.