Hi

This is my first post. I have just uncovered my Fender Stratocaster that has been in storage for about 15 years. Long story...

Anyway, I've got my hands on it again and am trying to get it back in playable condition and want to get some replacement parts.

The action seems pretty good and so is the intonation. I have it set up with the bridge tightened down tight with the body and wouldn't expect to be using the tremelo.

Firstly can someone help confirm what I've actually got. I think it is a 1985-86 Japanese Strat. The serial number starts with a C. It has a rosewood neck with the hidden truss-rod and Gotoh tuners. Is there anything particulary special about this guitar?

In my youthful ignorance I replaced the neck pickup with this ugly non standard hum bucking one many years ago, but this sounds crap and I would like to get rid of it. Also the single-ply pickguard is warped. It looks very thin and chincy. So I would like to replace this as well.

The pickup selector switch seems to be faulty too.

The question I have is given all these issues, should I replace the replace the pick-up, pick guard and selector switch individually, or should I use the opportunity to get an entirely new pick guard assembly with all new pickups and switches? This seems like an appealing option.

Am I right in thinking that this is not a particulary valuable guitar. As I have already created a bit of a mess with this thing, is there any point in trying to keep it original?

Thanks

Llamapup
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg
https://www.fender.com/support/articles/japanese-instruments-product-dating/

Looks like the C would indeed make it a 1985-1986 japanese Strat. I think you can order Fender parts online, if they are different than US parts i cannot say. But the parts are not hard to get, i just did a ton of mods to my MIM strat and there are a myriad of part choices out there. can't wait to see the strat all finished out.

also, i am big into keeping things original BUT in this case i think making it a solid performer using quality high end parts would make the overall guitar much better. There is not a huge value on this date range of japanese strat so do it up and make it an awesome guitar. Won't cost too much and you won't hurt the value at this point too much.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Last edited by zenbone at Aug 12, 2013,
I don't think you have anything special, just a run of the mill Japanese Strat. Which is still a good thing! A word on the serial though, the prefix really doesn't mean much on these guitars. Yes, the 'C' technically stands for 85-86 but parts/decals were often mixed around and yours could have been made in '87, '91, etc. Fender America has a couple goofs too, there's quite a few '87 American Stratocasters wearing '84 serials! Fender Japan is notorious for mixing around parts, it's possible to pick up 2 identical models and find out one was equipped with American electronics and the other has Japanese appointments.

Almost all of those MIJ Fenders have a date and/or model number penciled on the heel of the neck and pocket on the body. If you remove the neck from the guitar you should be able to figure out what specific model of Strat you've got

As for modding it, very few of the Japanese Fenders are worth anything significant so you'd be safe in changing things around in that regard. But, for shear collectors sake, I would hang onto all the original parts if you decide to change things around.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 12, 2013,
That's great. Thanks for the replies.

I suppose my next question is what recommendations do people have for a fully equipped pick guard assembly?

Thanks

Llamapup
Quote by Llamapup
That's great. Thanks for the replies.

I suppose my next question is what recommendations do people have for a fully equipped pick guard assembly?

Thanks

Llamapup

You can search online - places like Ebay and the like. Those will generally give you a feel for what is out there. Do a google search for "loaded strat pickguard" and that will give you a bunch of options from sweetwater and others. The sky is the limit price wise but i would recommend running with a known company for warranty and shipping issue coverage. If you go mid to high price you will get a really nice setup for not to bad pricing (in my opinion). i recently did a set up myself on a MIM strat with Fender 3-ply and matching lipstick pickups and it wasn't too bad money wise.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
it depends on what kind of tones you want out of it.

what are you looking to get from her?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Well mostly I just want working pickups and knobs etc, and a pickguard that isn't totally warped. but beyond that I would like a nice tone. The working bridge and middle pickup sound a bit thin and dull.

In terms of the type of tone, I'm not sure what the different types are. I guess I like Jazz, blues, sounds more than hugely distorted grunge. If that makes any sense.

I don't want to spend loads of money though, so need some advice on a decent loaded pickguard.
Check out some clips on various pickups, there's a huge tonal range available for single coils. Seymour Duncan and Fender both offer quite a few clips of their offerings, but keep in mind there's also boutique brands like Lollar, Wylde Pickups (Bill Lawrence), Bareknuckle, etc. Another option to keep in mind is Guitar Fetish, they have some pretty solid offerings now.

If you're after the squeakiest clean pickup you can buy, you might like EMG SA's. David Gilmour recorded quite a bit with these in the later days of Floyd and his solo stuff. I had a set for awhile and didn't really care for them, they were so clean and pure they took away the grit and character of a Strat; the quack was gone.

Looking at Fender's lineup should give you an idea of the tone you're after, since they group them by the time period and aggressiveness. Personally I like Fender's '54 and Duncan's Antiquities

EDIT: Pickguards just warp with time, it's a pretty normal thing. I put a new black 3-ply guard on my Flying V about... 4ish years ago and it's already starting to warp between the pickups. It doesn't bother me though, just one of those things.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Aug 13, 2013,