Ok guys, I already read through the audio interface sticky and confirmed a few ideas that I already had about recording.

Long story short, I recently got a MacBook Pro Retina and Gearbox from the Line 6 Toneport UX2 is no longer supported by my OS. I asked their customer support and they said I needed PODfarm in order to use my UX2 again.

So first question: Is PODfarm a decent upgrade from Gearbox. And is it worth $100.

I'm currently working at a retail store that requires us to wear blue polos and sell overpriced HDMI cables. We have an awesome discount and I can get the Scarlett 2i2 for about the same price but I'm pretty confident it's not going to have nearly as many guitar options onboard.

However, I have a Line 6 Vetta, and the direct out on it isn't half bad (a little better than gearbox, but not as good as it sounds mic'ed up). So with the Scarlett, I'd say 9/10 of the time i'd be using it direct in and the other 1/10 I'd be mic'ing the cab when my apartment neighbors aren't home.

Second Question: In terms of sound quality and user friendliness, is there a noticeable difference in the Scarlett or Toneport

And finally, I'm probably going to use Garage Band to record with because its free, and I assume better than audacity. Is this a wise decision? Would I be better off going with a more professional software?

Thanks in advance everybody and sorry if these questions are asked far too often.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
PodFarm does sound a hell of a lot better than Gearbox. Though honestly, if you're gonna have to spend lots of money anyway, you'd probably be better off buying a better interface and using free amp sims as shown in the sticky. Though I'd recommend the 2i4 over the 2i2, as the lack of pad makes it next to impossible to DI guitars without the input clipping.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
PodFarm does sound a hell of a lot better than Gearbox. Though honestly, if you're gonna have to spend lots of money anyway, you'd probably be better off buying a better interface and using free amp sims as shown in the sticky. Though I'd recommend the 2i4 over the 2i2, as the lack of pad makes it next to impossible to DI guitars without the input clipping.

Thanks man,

Good news, I can get a 2i4 for a good price.

I hate to sound like such a noob but is there a thread explaining how to use the free amp sims. I'm really interested in the acmebargig. Are there any you prefer over the others? I don't mind paying for them but free is always better.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
On a side note, try taking a raw output from the Vetta with no cab emulation and then use decent cab IRs to finish off your tone.

I used to do that all the time with my Duoverb and Flextone, the amp models themselves hold up great in a mix if you use convolution cabs.
Quote by kyle62
On a side note, try taking a raw output from the Vetta with no cab emulation and then use decent cab IRs to finish off your tone.

I used to do that all the time with my Duoverb and Flextone, the amp models themselves hold up great in a mix if you use convolution cabs.

Thanks, how does the Vetta cab emulation compare to the cab IR? I assume it's like all Line 6 things, good but not great.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Thanks, how does the Vetta cab emulation compare to the cab IR? I assume it's like all Line 6 things, good but not great.

I've never recorded a Vetta but it's probably on par with the Duo and Flex...fine for live, but a bit 'fake' sounding when recorded. It's designed for live usage, there's not enough fine tuning (positioning etc) available to really nail a studio tone.