Page 1 of 2
Hello! I recently decided to change my guitar amp, so far i have been playing on a 2W roland microcube that seems to have broken, also im not very satisfied with its sound. ideally i would like to get a sound like dimmu borgir puritanical euphoric misanthropia if possible, but i also need a good clean sound on the amp. in terms of power i think 20W is max for my needs. so, what brand/model should i get? oh and the budget is arround 200$ i think.

thanks in advance!
First off, you won't approach their tone with that budget. Just layin it out straight for you.

Secondly, they have switched amps over the years. Predominantly, they use a boosted Marshally sound, but they've used 5150s/6505s too (very different animals).

Thirdly, metal like that practically BEGS for a higher wattage amp. I'm not gonna recommend anything for the time being...other than to save your money until you can afford something in the $400 range, possibly used.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
With your budget best you can do is Peavey Vypyr 30 and use the 6505 model. Ignore the wattages, it tells you nothing about how the amp works in bedroom levels. Some low watt amps need to be cranked and some high watt amps work just fine volume turned down. In fact in modern metal high wattage is good because you need a lot of clean headroom in poweramp because majority of the distortion comes from the preamp.

If volume is a concern make sure the amp has globar master volume separate from channel volumes, it makes adjusting volume easier but its not exactly mandatory.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 13, 2013,
i understand, and thanks. but then.. what's my best bet for this budget?(the closest i could get to that sound with my 200 bucks?)

edit: u know what? if i can do 200 i can probably do 400. how about that sum, what can it get me?
Last edited by dystopian4ever at Aug 13, 2013,
Quote by dystopian4ever
i understand, and thanks. but then.. what's my best bet for this budget?(the closest i could get to that sound with my 200 bucks?)

edit: u know what? if i can do 200 i can probably do 400. how about that sum, what can it get me?

Peavey Vypyr. It will cover a lot of ground for your budget. Do you live in the states?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
nope, not from the states. europe.

so peavy vypyr is the complete name of the model?
Quote by dystopian4ever
nope, not from the states. europe.

so peavy vypyr is the complete name of the model?

Yup. Peavey Vypyr and the number after it is the size and wattage. Smallest is 15 but since you are upgrading its not worth it. 30 is the smallest with 12" speaker, 75 is 75 watts and more stuff built-in.

Best is Vypyr Tube, comes with 6505 tube power section.

This
http://www.thomann.de/fi/peavey_vypyr_30.htm
or this
http://www.thomann.de/fi/peavey_vypyr_75.htm

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
They've used 6505's, Engl's, and Marshalls. Take your pick, but you ain't getting their tone with 200 bucks. Save up some more money and then get back with us.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
@maazeus: thank you sir! so to sum it up, i will be very much ok playing on both clean and distortion and i wont need any other equipement such as pedals or preamps or whatever for it?

btw u recommended stuff at ~200$, i changed my mind and upped to 400 in the meantime. how does that change things?
Quote by dystopian4ever
@maazeus: thank you sir! so to sum it up, i will be very much ok playing on both clean and distortion and i wont need any other equipement such as pedals or preamps or whatever for it?

Yes. Actually pedals rarely play nice with modeling amps but it has quite a lot of effects built in to play around with. It mimics both clean (or low gain) channels and high gain channels of each amp it models. They are not perfect imitations (that would really hurt the sales of the real things ) but as far as practice amps go they are good.

Here is the 75 one in action, recorded through the USB out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phAXLFyLAwo

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by dystopian4ever

btw u recommended stuff at ~200$, i changed my mind and upped to 400 in the meantime. how does that change things?

Didnt notice the edit. As far as Dimmu Borgir sound goes, not much other than finding a used Peavey 6505 combo. Superior to Vypyrs because it IS the real thing in combo form and half the watts. You can connect it to a external cab too if you find single speaker limiting later on.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by dystopian4ever
what is that?

Peavey 6505, a popular high gain amp that has been used by almost every metal band and their mothers at some point of their careers. (heavy exaggeration, but it is popular ) Vypyr Tube's power amp section is lifted from the 6505 combo I mentioned above. Preamp section is a modeler (in a Vypyr that is) with a single tube to add some tube color.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
im thinking about the vypyr tube there, but i jus learned that with its 60W ti would be much too loud for my room even at min volume. how do i go arround that?
Damn, Peavey should start paying this forum.

To answer the original question, any modern/american high gain tube amp will do. Something that's probably much more than 20 watts.

It's not worth investing money right now cause you will probably regret in the long run. I'd save up 500$ at least.
yeah go for the peavy vypyr tube 60. ive been reccently getting into them myself.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by dystopian4ever
im thinking about the vypyr tube there, but i jus learned that with its 60W ti would be much too loud for my room even at min volume. how do i go arround that?

First off, loved that album. \m/

Second, I've got the same Peavey Tube Vypyr that's being recommended here, and I can play it at bedroom levels without a problem. It does sound better to my ears once you turn it up past 9/10 o'clock, but it's still pretty good at volumes that won't piss off everyone at your house.

If you're looking for something that can pull off something like Dimmu Borgir and then go and play Rolling Stones, it's tough to imagine something being better. Try and look for them used, I picked mine up for $250, and I've seen them at the $275-300 mark all the time.

Edit: As was said before, Watts =/= Decibels. Lower wattage amps are often just as loud/louder than different higher watt amps.
Last edited by Shimmeh at Aug 13, 2013,
Quote by Sethis
Damn, Peavey should start paying this forum.

You would think they already do.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Aug 13, 2013,
Quote by Maineguitarist
You would think they already do.

Well its not like there are that many choices for metalheads on budget.
Peavey certainly struck gold with their vypyr serie...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by KailM
First off, you won't approach their tone with that budget. Just layin it out straight for you.

Secondly, they have switched amps over the years. Predominantly, they use a boosted Marshally sound, but they've used 5150s/6505s too (very different animals).

Thirdly, metal like that practically BEGS for a higher wattage amp. I'm not gonna recommend anything for the time being...other than to save your money until you can afford something in the $400 range, possibly used.

I thought they primarily used Mesa Rectifiers and Engls? Do you have any idea of a albums/amps breakdown?

Quote by MaaZeus
Yup. Peavey Vypyr and the number after it is the size and wattage. Smallest is 15 but since you are upgrading its not worth it. 30 is the smallest with 12" speaker, 75 is 75 watts and more stuff built-in.

Best is Vypyr Tube, comes with 6505 tube power section.

This
http://www.thomann.de/fi/peavey_vypyr_30.htm
or this
http://www.thomann.de/fi/peavey_vypyr_75.htm

+311

But also make sure you get a Sanpera. The II is nice, but the I is okay for just switching through patches.

Quote by dystopian4ever

Wattage isn't really a measure of volume. It's very complicated and there are a lot of factors. But without getting into any of that, let me tell you about the amp, as someone who owns the 120W Vypyr Tube.

The Vypyr Tube is the most controllable (in terms of volume) amp I have ever used. It has 2 volume controls - a volume control (post gain) for each patch, as well as a master volume that controls the whole amp. Using these two together, you can get as loud, or as quiet as you will ever need. I can easily dial n whisper volumes. And due to the hybrid nature of the amp, the tone is pretty consistent throughout it's whole volume range. It sounds good at whisper volumes, and it sounds pretty much the same at drummer volumes.

If you have any specific questions about the Vypyr, feel free to ask: I've owned the Solid State 15W & 75W, and the Tube 120W.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Ippon
Silenoz now uses a Blackstar Series One 200 - 4 KT88s for 200W.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
can u tell me more about the sanpera? what is it more exactly and what does it do? why do i need it?
Quote by Offworld92
I thought they primarily used Mesa Rectifiers and Engls? Do you have any idea of a albums/amps breakdown?

Well, the only thing I can really nail down is that they used Marshalls during the Enthrone Darkness Triumphant era and possibly Spiritual Black Dimensions since they sound like the same tone (those are, in my opinion, their best albums by far).

Somewhere in there they started using Engls and 6505s and who knows what else, lol. Either way, their tone has been fairly similar throughout the years, regardless of the amps they used.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by dystopian4ever
can u tell me more about the sanpera? what is it more exactly and what does it do? why do i need it?

It's a foot controller, specifically for Peavey Vypyr amps. On the most basic level, it lets you cycle through patches, so you don't have to bend over and do it manually on your amp (E.G., you can go from dirty to clean instantly during a song). It also has an expression pedal(s) that function as a wah and/or a volume pedal. It's also a loop pedal.

The I lets you toggle your delay and your "stompbox" effect manually, as if they were pedals on a pedalboard.

The II lets you toggle your delay, reverb, "stombox" effect and "effect" effect manually. It has a separate volume and wah pedal, and tap tempo, and it functions as a pedal tuner.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
does it have an eq? cos i understand that much tweaking can be done and is required post amp settings and that is done with the pedal. is this correct?
Quote by dystopian4ever
does it have an eq? cos i understand that much tweaking can be done and is required post amp settings and that is done with the pedal. is this correct?

No, the Sanpera is not an FX pedal, it's a controller, It can't do anything the amp can't do.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
there's this guy telling me i really really need a post eq pedal for high gain amp, otherwise the sound will be shitty.
Quote by dystopian4ever
there's this guy telling me i really really need a post eq pedal for high gain amp, otherwise the sound will be shitty.

An EQ in the loop is magic for modern metal with a tube amp, but for a modeler like the Vypyr it is unneeded, and more importantly, impossible. The Vypyr doesn't have an FX loop that can be accessed or a preamp out.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
for a modeler like the Vypyr it is unneeded

thats what i needed to hear

so this seems to be settled. mind if we take it to step 2? which is what guitar should i buy to compliment the vypyr tube? also keep that dimmu sound in mind if possible.
Last edited by dystopian4ever at Aug 14, 2013,
What guitar do you have already? Is there anything specifically wrong with it?

If you do get another guitar, what would be your budget for it?
If you already have a guitar you are happy with, concentrate on the amp first. Amp is biggest thing that affects your sound.

If you are looking to upgrade anyway, what is your guitar budget?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
i have a squier now. nothing majorly wrong with it like a broken neck but im sure it has quite a few bugs. second hand guitar, old, etc. now i really dont know the word for the device that captures the vibration from the string, my guitar has 3 of them and im pretty sure one of them is down or half dead. as for budget, maybe..500 bucks. a little more perhaps. and btw what would happen if i play this squier on vypyr tube?
You wouldn't get the best sound ever. Look, my advice is simple: Save your money for awhile so you can afford a good guitar and a decent amp. Trust me.
6505+ Head
i understand and im ok with mid range quality, im never gonna play on a stage anyway and never gonna raise 5000$ its just for me, kinda selfish if u will. just want to make the best decision considering my budget.
Quote by AsOneIStand
You wouldn't get the best sound ever. Look, my advice is simple: Save your money for awhile so you can afford a good guitar and a decent amp. Trust me.

Vypyr Tube IS a decent amp. Perfect for home use too.

TS, look for used LTD 400 serie guitar, like EC-400 or EC-401 . Or Jackson X serie.

If you insist on new
http://www.thomann.de/fi/esp_ltd_ec_330_bk.htm
http://www.thomann.de/fi/cort_evlz4.htm (I own one. Great guitar if you like thick neck. Bad stock pickups however. Not a big issue with modelers)
http://www.thomann.de/fi/jackson_rrxt_rhoads_tbk.htm (if V's are your thing. I find them comfortable but some people dont)

*edit* In case of guitars its always best if you can go to a local guitar shop and try them out yourself. People have different preferences.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 14, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
Vypyr Tube IS a decent amp. Perfect for home use too.

TS, look for used LTD 400 serie guitar, like EC-400 or EC-401 . Or Jackson X serie.

If you insist on new
http://www.thomann.de/fi/esp_ltd_ec_330_bk.htm
http://www.thomann.de/fi/cort_evlz4.htm (I own one. Great guitar if you like thick neck. Bad stock pickups however. Not a big issue with modelers)
http://www.thomann.de/fi/jackson_rrxt_rhoads_tbk.htm (if V's are your thing. I find them comfortable but some people dont)

*edit* In case of guitars its always best if you can go to a local guitar shop and try them out yourself. People have different preferences.

Didn't say it wasn't, but he's going to be a lot happier playing a good guitar through a decent amp, than a shitty guitar through a decent amp.
6505+ Head
"Most of you considering this amp for home use have no concept of how loud you have to play this amp to get a good tone. Cranking this amp will make your ears bleed. If you want good tube tone at home don't go above 5 watts. Yes I'm serious. More than 5 tube watts at home cranked will probably get the cops at your house in about 15 minutes."

this is a comment from a vypyr tube 60 review on you-tube. please explain to me that he's a goddamn liar..
Quote by dystopian4ever
"Most of you considering this amp for home use have no concept of how loud you have to play this amp to get a good tone. Cranking this amp will make your ears bleed. If you want good tube tone at home don't go above 5 watts. Yes I'm serious. More than 5 tube watts at home cranked will probably get the cops at your house in about 15 minutes."

this is a comment from a vypyr tube 60 review on you-tube. please explain to me that he's a goddamn liar..

He's a goddamn liar. /explained

More importantly, he's an idiot. Not sure where to start... The Vypyr is not an amp that is meant to be cranked in the first place. At all. Power tube breakup may be his definition of "good tube tone", but that doesn't mean anything, and most importantly that is NOT the only "good tone". Everyone has their own preferences, and power tube breakup hasn't been relevant or widespread for the past 30 years. Granted, if that's the tone you're into, that is what it is, I'm not in any way trying to belittle or invalidate that tone. But if you're going for that, even 5W is way too ****ing loud to crank at home. Almost ANY wattage is too loud to crank at home - this goes back to how I mentioned that wattage isn't really correlated to volume. a 5W amp is not 1/20 as loud as a 100W amp, though many people think so, including many people on Youtube, not surprisingly...

...The whole point of modeling is that it attempts to emulate the power tube breakup sound at reasonable volumes...

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 14, 2013,
Page 1 of 2