Hey Guys,

I was hoping to get a little advice on a new amp I'm looking to Purchase.

Up until recently I played a Fender FM212R Amplifier, I played it for around 3 years. It was second hand when I bought it, and after MUCH playing it has finally given up. I've literally played it 'till it's dying breath, so now I'm out for a new amp to gig with!

I currently play in a Blues/Garage Rock band called The Twisted Dolls, and I am the only guitar player. The Amp I have been looking at, is the Vox AC30 VR.

I was wondering if there was any advice out there on this Amp?
I gig with the band (Bass, Guitar, Drums - Simple set up) every 3 weeks or so and rehearse at least once a week. So I'm looking for an Amp which will be up to it. Volume and Tone wise.

More often than not, the Amps are Mic'd up at gigs, but I want to make sure it is plenty loud any way of course.

If a sample of my music would help, you can Youtube or Google: The Twisted Dolls War Child - to hear the sound I'm going for

My Set up is very simple: Either my Epiphone Dot or SG, through an EHX little big muff & CryBaby Wah.

Any and all help is welcome

Many Thanks,

J.Wolf
No the AC30VR is most likely not going to do well with a band without being mic'd up.

what is your:
location?
budget?
is used ok (you will get better gear for your money)

You can always look for a used Vox AC15c1, they run <$400 used in the USA
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 13, 2013,
Ooh, ok, I see. Thank you for the response.

I'm in Manchester, UK. . I've around £350 ($540) to spend on an Amp.

Used is ok, I would prefer new, as my last one was well used - But if it is a great sounding amp, that's the main goal!

J.Wolf
Being in the UK, you should have no problems finding an AC15c1 in your budget. Heck you might find a well used AC30 for your budget if your lucky.

Also keep an eye out for the Laney VC30 combo, it is nice and cheap and kinda Vox-ish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks very much!

Please do excuse this extremely novice next question (I've only ever had one amp before), is the AC15c1 louder? Than the AC30 VR?

Is it the 'VR' in the first Amp I mentioned, that means it isn't so good?

Thanks again for the help,

J.Wolf
+1 to the Laney suggestion. £350 is about right for a used combo, but you can sometimes get lucky with a better deal. I got my 2x10 combo for £350 & it included the matching 1x12 extension cab!

It takes pedals well & I play it with my band without having to turn it up above 3 on the volume. Taking the volume down to 1 on the 'lo' input gets you home practice volumes that sound good too. The only negative I've found with it is that if you turn the clean channel's bright switch on it gets too bright (for my taste at least) so that stays off.

Edit: The 'VR' stands for 'Valve Reactor', i.e. not a real tube amp.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Aug 13, 2013,
Ah, thank you very much for the advice. I'm going to get on the hunt.

As a side note, I was just down at my local Guitar shop this lunch time and the assistant showed me the 'Vox Valevtronix Plus VT120' - It sounded really quite nice.

He said it is capable of 120 Watts, 20 more than my Fender.

Any thoughts on this?

All the help is really really appreciated!

J.Wolf
The Valvetronix range is pretty good as a practice amp, but personally I wouldn't gig with it.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
At your price range you should look up some tube amps. Generally, they will sound and feel a lot more authentic than going through a solid state/hybrid/modeller. There's a sticky here that should give you a lot of information before you go and make a purchase. Buying an amp should be thought out because if you're like me and on a budget, we can't just buy amps all willy nilly. I mean, you've had your amp for 3 years, which is a long time.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Don't bother with the VT series with your budget and for your situation. VT is the best for practicing at home.

As for the VR, it's not a bad amp as many make it seem like. Most people who are talking bad about the 30VR have not tried it and are assuming it's shite. To be honest though, since you can buy a tube AC15C1 or maybe even a tube AC30 then go for it. It'll sound 200 times better, trust me.

If you need cleans and you will be unmicced at gigs, then the AC15 will struggle and your best off trying to get an AC30C2. Although if you are sure you will be micced then go for the AC15. Both amps are REALLY loud (especially the AC30), but if you need pure cleans at gig level and your running hot pickups plugged into an AC15 you might get a tiny bit of breakup but it all depends.

I think you can get away with the AC15C1. Something to note is the AC30 is HEAVY. So be prepared to lug it around.

Personally I went for the AC30 but that just suits my style better.

If you have any other questions about VOX amps feel free to ask
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Last edited by Volcz at Aug 15, 2013,
Find a used AC30 - a real one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks everybody for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Volcz, thank you very much for the specific help. Last night I went down to the Music Store and tried an AC30 VR, and I really thought it sounded quite good. I am admittedly, a novice, and a lot of people have made sweeping statements around it, but I did like it.

I tried the AC30 C2 for a very brief time, also, and I didn't see a HUGE difference in volume - Maybe that was just me? - I'd Ideally like a new amp, the C2s atm are aroundd £750.

My set up is quite simple really, and Epiphone Dot through an EHX Little Big Muff and CryBaby wah (Boss NS-2 for feedback reduction). Most gigs it will be mic'd up, and I presume an amp that big will be more than capable at a band practise with drummer.

With my budget of around £350, the VR is the first one I've played which I really quite liked. . . Decisions, decisions!

Thank you again for the advice,

J.Wolf
Honestly, you can get a VT amp for cheaper and have a better sounding Amp. I hated the way the AC30VR sounded. I thought it sounded like garbage. I hear better things about the AC15VR. But still for the price, I would still get the VT.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Ooh I see, thank you for the Info.

Looks like a toss up between the VR and VT! :|

J.Wolf
Quote by Jackson.Wolf

J.Wolf

So you're still considering one of the weaker options despite lots of advice recommending the real amps that you could afford with your budget?

I know you said you'd prefer new, but if you're gigging the VR & VT are a poor choice. You would be far better off if you purchased a good amp used, and you would thank yourself for it in the future.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
even if you have to go new there are tube amps within your budget

don't make me break out that batman meme again
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No I meant the debate the was going round

I've just ordered myself the AC15C1

I'll be sure to put an update with how it sounds!

Thanks for all your help guys.

J.Wolf
Sorry, I didn't get that from your last post!

Enjoy the amp - it's a good purchase
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Jackson.Wolf

J.Wolf

Where did you get that? Everyone is telling you the VR is a terrible choice. The VT would be a better choice, but there are even better choices for you to gig with within your budget.

Edit: just saw your last post. Good boy!
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
nice job
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Unless he was doing various tones from Jazz to British Rock to Heavy Metal, the VT isn't a good choice. I know he's already ordered an AC15C1 (and that was an awesome decision TS, you will love it to bits), but I truly believe the VR series kicks the VT series in terms of it's general purpose of sound.

Of course this could be a personal opinion but I think the VT should only be bought if one needs a modelling amp. The VR is not amazing by any means but it's not as bad as perceived.
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
Quote by Volcz
Unless he was doing various tones from Jazz to British Rock to Heavy Metal, the VT isn't a good choice. I know he's already ordered an AC15C1 (and that was an awesome decision TS, you will love it to bits), but I truly believe the VR series kicks the VT series in terms of it's general purpose of sound.

Of course this could be a personal opinion but I think the VT should only be bought if one needs a modelling amp. The VR is not amazing by any means but it's not as bad as perceived.

Not trying to be a douce bag, but have you actually heard an AC30vr?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Not trying to be a douce bag, but have you actually heard an AC30vr?

I owned one for 3 years.
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
Quote by Volcz
I owned one for 3 years.

I didn't think the AC30vr I heard sounded anything like an AC30. I really do think my VT+ does a better job.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I didn't think the AC30vr I heard sounded anything like an AC30. I really do think my VT+ does a better job.

Maybe that's the point?

The VT does a decent job of modelling the AC30, but the VR (which calls itself an AC30) has it's own unique sound. I can't help thinking that if they'd called it the VR30 it would have a better reputation, with it's current name too many people buy it thinking they're getting something they aren't.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Not a bad theory ^

The VR isn't an AC30, but it looks like one and I would say it could pass as one at a gig as well. The 'OD2' channel is just bullsh*t though.

I think it doesn't do a bad job of modelling it. The VT is okay as well, but you know unless we get both the amps right now and do a comparison I don't think there's much point in arguing this.

I guess the best option to do if your looking for a somewhat modelled AC30 sound is to get them side by side and decide what's more practical for you.
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
Last edited by Volcz at Aug 16, 2013,
Quote by Volcz
Not a bad theory ^

The VR isn't an AC30, but it looks like one and I would say it could pass as one at a gig as well. The 'OD2' channel is just bullsh*t though.

I think it doesn't do a bad job of modelling it. The VT is okay as well, but you know unless we get both the amps right now and do a comparison I don't think there's much point in arguing this.

I guess the best option to do if your looking for a somewhat modelled AC30 sound is to get them side by side and decide what's more practical for you.

But here is the thing, I have seen an AC30 and and AC30VR, and a VT80+ demoed beside each other. We were bored in a guitar shop one day. The VR sounded less like an AC30, more so than the VT. I can't explain it. Same guitar, player and settings (less so on the VT for settings due to different EQ) I hear the AC15VR is better at sounding like an AC15.

Maybe the VR should be it's own line as was suggested.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
As I said, the best option for TS to do is to demo them side by side himself since you and me obviously have some conflicting opinions

Hahaha, just confirming I'm not bagging out the VT series it's great, but for AC30 modelling I just think the VR is better for the job.
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.
^ TS already ordered an AC15
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know I said it in a previous post ^ I was just referring to as what he could do.
Quote by greeny23
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain

It's, like, so ironic.