Hey all, while I'm currently revamping my whole home studio, I figured now is also a good time to get a new amp (when isn't it a good time to get a new amp?).

I already have a really nice sounding amp, which is why I want something that sounds pretty much the opposite of it. Right now the amp I have is very Marshall-esque gain and some fairly boring cleans which turn into a nice crunch when pushed.

However, ideally I'd like something that could do a decent clean sound and maybe a more american sounding gain.

My budget would be about £600 and it would be strictly new, as I'll be buying it as part of a student scheme at one of the local music stores.

TL;DR

need american sounding gain, a nice clean, £600 budget, new

EDIT; would maybe a Peavey Valveking or a Blackstar HT20 do the trick?
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Last edited by Unholy.Daemon at Aug 13, 2013,
I love my valveking. It has really nice cleans and i use it for gigging, my band plays some pretty heavy shit. I would recomend a tubescreamer or an eq to tighten up the front a bit though
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
I'm not a fan of blackstars. And the valveking is okay, but not great. You want tube I presume? I think that the valveking is the best bet at that price range, something like a fender supersonic would fit your needs perfectly but it is also far out of your price range. Also, you could get something like a fender blues junior and use a pedal for the distortion.
Since you're in the UK, i would suggest a certain Guildford-based store i will not name due to risk of being seen as advertising has a second hand Supersonic 22 in stock in your budget.

When i saw it i nearly got a bit excited until i realized i couldn't afford nor justify another amp (plus i love my Cornell).

But the supersonic sounds pretty perfect for you.

EDIT: ok, ignore that, it's been sold, but if you search i bet you could find a used supersonic in budget!
Last edited by jaybals at Aug 13, 2013,
I can go up more if I really need to, it's more the deposit and monthly payments I need to afford :P

yeah preferably all tube unless it happens to have really good tone, and I'll check out the supersonic!

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I use a Blackstar because I can't afford a Mesa... Whack a screamer in front of it and you won't be going too wrong. It's got it's ISF control too, lets you pan between American and British tones.
Silverburst
Check out some of the bugera line up. Although some of them have a bad rep, for your budget and studio use they should be perfect.

I personally have the 333xl, which has excellent cleans, and a wide range of low-high gain tones.
Quote by psrj32
Check out some of the bugera line up. Although some of them have a bad rep, for your budget and studio use they should be perfect.

I personally have the 333xl, which has excellent cleans, and a wide range of low-high gain tones.

I disagree with you a bit. Bugeras sound good, that is true, but since they might set your studio on fire I'd think it through. They have bad rep for a reason.

And you can find a Peavey XXX, which that is a copy of, for 300$ used.
The new Bugera amps do not have that issue anymore. Not to say people don't still have issues, but the flakey molex connector was removed long ago.

I have never seen a XXX for $300 used, but either way, the 333xl is a JSX copy.
Quote by psrj32
The new Bugera amps do not have that issue anymore. Not to say people don't still have issues, but the flakey molex connector was removed long ago.

I have never seen a XXX for $300 used, but either way, the 333xl is a JSX copy.

And XXX is a JSX successor And I can find like 3 Peavey Triple X's for 300e used in finland only Still, Bugera doesn't have the best quality control. They are simply cheaper options for better amps, and will do the trick if you're on a tight budget.
Correct, I'm not arguing that.

Simply, you just described what appears to be the case for the TS. Cheaper option for a good sounding amp on a tight budget!

That is why I mentioned it. Excellent for a non mobile studio artist, and very versatile.
Quote by psrj32
Correct, I'm not arguing that.

Simply, you just described what appears to be the case for the TS. Cheaper option for a good sounding amp on a tight budget!

That is why I mentioned it. Excellent for a non mobile studio artist, and very versatile.

I just think that reliability should be a bigger factor than price. But Bugera is a fine option.

Just one thing, I think that a reliable head/cab would be the best for a studio artist. You can swap speakers for different tones, and the size wouldn't be a problem since you're not lugging it around. And studio equipment should of course have a long lifespan.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I just think that reliability should be a bigger factor than price. But Bugera is a fine option.

Just one thing, I think that a reliable head/cab would be the best for a studio artist. You can swap speakers for different tones, and the size wouldn't be a problem since you're not lugging it around. And studio equipment should of course have a long lifespan.

I can agree on that.

Most of the Bugera horror stories I have read/heard (including from guitar center employees) dealt with "it was fine until we moves it to the other room" or "it sounded awesome until i drug it down the road to the bar." haha

I figure if it sat in a studio, it would be fine.

Guess you're right though, that SHOULDN'T have to be an issue.

EDIT: Plus I just realized that we aren't talking american currency here. The budget is almost $200 usd more than I thought.
Last edited by psrj32 at Aug 13, 2013,
Quote by psrj32
I can agree on that.

Most of the Bugera horror stories I have read/heard (including from guitar center employees) dealt with "it was fine until we moves it to the other room" or "it sounded awesome until i drug it down the road to the bar." haha

I figure if it sat in a studio, it would be fine.

Guess you're right though, that SHOULDN'T have to be an issue.

Yeah probably I don't see why any modern amp would break while sitting on the floor. Of course if you like drop it in the swimming pool it's going to break.
Given your constraints, I'd say get the Valveking.

Are you thinking Combo or Head/Cab?

If combo change the speaker and preamp tubes, it makes a world of difference. The VK 1x12 combo is a pretty decent amp that is seriously compromised by a crappy stock speaker and tubes.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by guitar/bass95
And XXX is a JSX successor And I can find like 3 Peavey Triple X's for 300e used in finland only Still, Bugera doesn't have the best quality control. They are simply cheaper options for better amps, and will do the trick if you're on a tight budget.

Errrr where? At least in Muusikoiden.net I dont see any.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Errrr where? At least in Muusikoiden.net I dont see any.

Maybe they are sold, but a while back I contacted two guys with XXX heads for 300$ but decided not to buy. And I can find a combo now for 350$. In muusikoiden.net exactly.
Laney ironheart might do the trick as well.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

People, all the chatter about 'used' is a waste of time. The TS specifically said it had to be new because it was a student program through a local store.

The cost of used XXX heads in Finland, while interesting to some, is immaterial to the discussion at hand.

TS: A list of all the amps available at the local store would give us a better starting point.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
People, all the chatter about 'used' is a waste of time. The TS specifically said it had to be new because it was a student program through a local store.

The cost of used XXX heads in Finland, while interesting to some, is immaterial to the discussion at hand.

TS: A list of all the amps available at the local store would give us a better starting point.

I don't recall anyone recommending an used amp. The valveking and the 333 have been recced.
the supersonic is probably worth a look, yeah

a kustom coupé might be a good idea, too. they were a bit dear here, but maybe you could find a deal (i'm guessing they weren't that popular).

if you're willing to forego the distortion channel, you'd have several options for the fendery thing for a lot less money. Do you need a lot of volume/headroom?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
to answer all, the local store is giggear.com, I'm mainly looking at heads but a combo with an external output or good speakers would be good, volume I'm not too fussed about, preferably a fairly low output if anything seeing as it will be strictly for studio use, so >30W if possible, and all tube of course. I was considering bugera's but I don't know if the store can get them in, but the experience I've had with them has been good despite all the negative press

the distortion isn't an absolute must but it would be a nice addition seeing as all I've got is a British sounding gain, and I would like to have the option for an American gain sound

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
Last edited by Unholy.Daemon at Aug 13, 2013,
what volume do you need?

also i understand what you're saying about a head, but a v30 wouldn't be my speaker of choice for an american type of tone. to really maximise how fendery the amp sounds, you'd want to be running it through american-voiced speakers, ideally in an open-backed cabinet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by guitar/bass95
I don't recall anyone recommending an used amp. The valveking and the 333 have been recced.

Read posts #4 and #8 and their followup.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Dave_Mc
what volume do you need?

also i understand what you're saying about a head, but a v30 wouldn't be my speaker of choice for an american type of tone. to really maximise how fendery the amp sounds, you'd want to be running it through american-voiced speakers, ideally in an open-backed cabinet.

i can't say i'm particularly fussed, but if i'm going for mostly studio use then a fairly low volume amp would be a good option, no point in having a super loud amp and then having to crank it up to get a good tone and piss everyone off

well i'm more than open to combos if they come with good speakers in them of course, the more versatility i have, the better. i do have another cab but the speakers are unbranded and as far as i can tell they don't have any particular character to them. worst comes i can just buy another cab within the scheme

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
^ yeah i mean it's really up to you. if you're ok with getting another cab then the head route is still an option (it's still an option anyway, i mean you can get too anal about things, but just i don't want you to fork out tons of money on something to get a fendery tone only to find that it'll only sound the way you expect when you fork out even more for a suitable speaker cab ).

even some of the single-enders can sound pretty fendery- the vht special 6, fender champion 600, stuff like that. they're nowhere near as good as dearer amps, but they might be worth considering. though for recording they might have a bit too much background noise...

i really liked the cornell fendery combo i tried, but it's a lot of money. also with the low wattage thing you don't have too much headroom for cleans...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?