Hey all!

As the title suggests, I have a Mashall Valvestate VS100 Combo which I bought second hand (From my Line 6 Spider IV 30, it's one heck of an improvement!). If I want to record, I simply plug the cable into the Line Out at the back of the amp and plug the other end into my PC. The only thing is that it still outputs through the speaker.

While at the moment this isn't a problem as I'm at home, next month I'll be heading to University, and I doubt my roommates would appreciate my playing loudly, especially since I tend to at night ( :P ). I noticed that at the back, you could unplug the speaker jack from here: [forbidden link]

I was wondering if it would be safe to do that, so that it will just output to the Line Out? When it comes to amps, I don't know much, the main reason I got the amp is I found it cheap (For 180€ including shipping) yet seems to work just fine. I'd hate to end up having broken it myself doing something silly.

Many thanks!
Since the valvestate vs100 is a solid-state amp, you should be able to run it with no speaker load without hurting anything.

Another option would be to plug in a pair of headphones whether you use them or not, it should kill the speaker.
Valvestate is basically a solid state so it shouldnt give a damn if load is plugged or not, as long as you dont short the cables, that makes the amp go boom. There are some exceptions though. My 8100 atleast is safe without load plugged in.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 13, 2013,
The vs100h I used to have had a tube in the preamp.

Whether this makes any difference re: speaker load, I don't know.
Got it:
Pacifica 604w, Hohner G3T, PRS SE Soapbar I, Schecter Ultra I
Fender 'evil' Twin, Marshall 2554 combo
Quote by afoolandaknave
The vs100h I used to have had a tube in the preamp.

Whether this makes any difference re: speaker load, I don't know.

No, not a damn thing. Its the power section you need to worry about, particularly output transformer which SS power sections do not have, 99% of the time atleast. They do not like running without a load and break.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Okay, thanks everyone for the replies! So as a rule of the tumb, if it's a tube amp it's definitly a no-go to do?
Quote by Otellino
Okay, thanks everyone for the replies! So as a rule of the tumb, if it's a tube amp it's definitly a no-go to do?

Basically yes. There are tube amps with dummy loads built in, those are the exceptions. Otherwise, never turn them on without speaker cable plugged in!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Also, running direct into the mic input of your PC (assuming that's what you mean you're doing) can cause issues with your PC and will only provide very poor quality.

If you want to record, you really should invest in some proper equipment. Go over to the Recordings forum, there's an Interfaces sticky you desperately need to read. Now.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Gary: Sorry, I didn't really go in-depth with how I recorded :P I use an Apogee Jam device which I then plug into either my iPad, Mac or PC and use various different software for it. I've read enough horror stories of plugging directly in to stay away from it :P I really do appreciate the heads up, though

And MaaZeus and co, thank you all for your answers.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud