Hey, so I know this isn't an electronics forum but I'm a member here already and you lot seem to know what you're doing sometimes, and the final application of what I'm doing is guitar related.

Essentially what I want to do is control the resistance of a variable resistor with the output voltage of an infrared sensor. Something like this.
I have absolutely no idea how to do this. I've heard talk of JFETs and such, but I don't really know what one of those is and I don't really know much about electronics.

Specifically, I want to put that IR distance sensor in the guitar I'm building and have it filter the output. So you bring your hand towards it and the filter drops to zero. Like the D-Beam things on Roland keyboards.
I also need to be able to turn it off without affecting the output of the guitar (so the IR sensor doesn't have to stay on when it isn't needed).

Any help at all would be appreciated.

That thing just outputs a digital signal (either on or off) so it does NOT act like a variable resistor.

Basically to do this you'll need to wire the output of the proximity sensor to a dime-a-dozen electronic switching circuit. I have an UNTESTED one that I whipped up for someone else here but it can easily be adapted to work with the prox sensor.

Quote by Invader Jim
That thing just outputs a digital signal (either on or off) so it does NOT act like a variable resistor.

Okay sorry you're right, I didn't read it properly. I just picked a random one on my watchlist.
I am going to get a sensor that outputs a voltage that corresponds to the distance between the sensor and an object, not one like that. Something more like this.
Last edited by captainsnazz at Aug 13, 2013,
In that case just wire that to a jfet. That should get you what you want. To figure out exactly how, you'll have to do a little research. I've never done anything like this before so I'm not much help. Even so, a little research is good for people.