Page 1 of 2

MADRID (AP) — A year ago, Cecilia Gimenez's botched attempt to restore a fresco of Christ inspired ridicule and references to monkeys. Now, the 81-year-old Spanish artist is having the last laugh. The disfigured fresco has drawn more than 40,000 visitors and raised more than 50,000 euros ($66,285) for a local charity in the town of Borja since gaining worldwide attention. It has spurred the town to put the likeness on merchandise it hopes will sell for years to come. And Gimenez has even had her own art exhibit, with two dozen of her other works showing through Aug. 24 in the town of 5,000.

http://news.yahoo.com/disfigured-spanish-fresco-hit-artist-town-151848237.html
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Amuro Jay
to be fair it looks much better than the original. i mean, the original looks like someone sneezed white paint all over it.

agreed.

plus it looked like every other Jesus painting.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
lel
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
For my next painting I'll put a hat in the mona lisa.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
That's sad.

i'm unsure what's so sad about this painting bringing in more tourists and raising money for charity.
Saw this afternoon in the news, they said that an art gallery from NY wants her exhibit
religion has a funny relation with money.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i'm unsure what's so sad about this painting bringing in more tourists and raising money for charity.

Its sad that the artist ****ed up that badly
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
It's pretty artistically grim.

And it's basically a cop-out to make money out of idiots who find the gimmick funny rather than it having any sort of genuine value. It's basically "this old lady ****ed up accidentally; come and see her paint badly on purpose!"
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
like Jay said, it looks better than it did before.
Technically, it's terrible. In terms of form, it's terrible. In texture, it's pretty naff. Semantically, it's terribadful.

It's got no value to it other than (see my first post)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
i think it kinda looks like something Picasso would have done.
Now you're just trying to wind me up.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I still think it looks like one of those tiny monkeys in a robe.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Banjocal
It's pretty artistically grim.

And it's basically a cop-out to make money out of idiots who find the gimmick funny rather than it having any sort of genuine value. It's basically "this old lady ****ed up accidentally; come and see her paint badly on purpose!"

Well this shit is in museums, so artistic value is pretty stupid

___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Well this shit is in museums, so artistic value is pretty stupid

I hope you're joking. Malevich was incredibly important to suprematism and abstract expressionism.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Once I realized that most people don't understand or find modern non-tonal music appealing, the same happening to visual art made a lot more sense to me.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Banjocal
I hope you're joking. Malevich was incredibly important to suprematism and abstract expressionism.

Hipster mumbo-jumbo

Painting a canvas entirely black or smearing your shit on a canvas and selling it for a million dollars isn't art
Quote by rockingamer2
Once I realized that most people don't understand or find modern non-tonal music appealing, the same happening to visual art made a lot more sense to me.
Most people seem to expect art to be digestible entertainment and that's just sad.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
Most people seem to expect art to be digestible entertainment and that's just sad.

this is art:
Quote by jakesmellspoo
this is art:

A comment on the New England Patriots?

American Foreign Policy?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
^yeah, it is. art is just apperceived sense. Though to judge that I need to know a bit about it. technically it's got a nice style to it but it does seem something oriented towards unsubtle shock
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
^yeah, it is. art is just apperceived sense. Though to judge that I need to know a bit about it. technically it's got a nice style to it but it does seem something oriented towards unsubtle shock

google Mike Diana.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
this is art

And not the type of art you see alot of. Even art like this is rather 'old-school'. I guess it's too diverse of a topic to even begin introducing genres/styles. That's the one difference between modern art and classic/renaissance/baroque/etc. art: you can't categorise it.

Seriously, it's the first time for me to see anything like this that Andy Arsehole didn't produce.
Quote by Banjocal

No shock is more unsubtle to me than a solid black canvas being deemed as valuable.
My God, it's full of stars!
^notsureifsrs

Pushes it too far and tries a little hard for my tastes but I like his B&W drawing style, though it's very stylized. Clearly had a big cultural influence in certain circles. Can't see many with that screenprint-esqe painting style above though.

He seems to be trying to make transgression digestible. Seems a little heavy handed.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 13, 2013,
Quote by Banjocal
Pushes it too far and tries a little hard for my tastes but I like his B&W drawing style, though it's very stylized. Clearly had a big cultural influence in certain circles. Can't see many with that screenprint-esqe painting style above though.

He seems to be trying to make transgression digestible. Seems a little heavy handed.

i love his stuff.

definitely had an influence on Superjail.
No really, is it a solid black canvas?

You don't have to understand art to hate everything about that.

Do you have to understand music to hate a song which is a single note being held for 4 minutes?

Newp.
Quote by Dreadnought
No really, is it a solid black canvas?

You don't have to understand art to hate everything about that.

Do you have to understand music to hate a song which is a single note being held for 4 minutes?

Newp.
Then you're the visual art equivalent of a top 40 listener.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
i love his stuff.

definitely had an influence on Superjail.
Not really knowledgeable of this sort of stuff but I'll check it out. Thanks.

If you're looking for trangressive stuff you might dig Peter Sotos (literature), providing you're ok with the nastier stuff Wikipedia says his early work contains.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 13, 2013,
It's rather ironic that this 'botched' restoration is loved more than the Church and collects money more easily just to show it.

Still no 'art' though. More like a modern-stylised reproduction.
Quote by Banjocal
Then you're the visual art equivalent of a top 40 listener.

Are you going to answer the question? Is it a solid black canvas, or is that a painted border designed to look like a frame?
Quote by Dreadnought
Are you going to answer the question? Is it a solid black canvas, or is that a painted border designed to look like a frame?
How about you research it? It isn't solid black: it's a painted canvas with a black square.

Quote by Lord_Doku
It's rather ironic that this 'botched' restoration is loved more than the Church and collects money more easily just to show it.

Still no 'art' though. More like a modern-stylised reproduction.
Art is apperceived sense.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
How about you research it? It isn't solid black: it's a painted canvas with a black square.

lol you're so condescending. You could have easily just answered me and said yes, it's black square framed with another color and texture.

Anyways, you are an incredibly douchebag if you think that you need extensive visual art knowledge and experience to have an opinion on this:

And my opinion is that it sucks.

If the visual art equivalent of me not liking a song by a band you like is offensive to you, then you're a huge butthole.

It's ironic that you say art is "apperceived sense" (which, *shudder*, but let's not get into that little gem) but then are so condescending when someone has a differing opinion.
Last edited by Dreadnought at Aug 13, 2013,
Page 1 of 2