I just ordered this guitar and when it first came, the high E and B strings had a rattle to them when played open. I brought it back to the store that i had purchased it at and they set it up for free. The rattle/buzz is gone now on the E and B strings but when i play open chords it still exists. It happens when the guitar is played unplugged, so it isn't an electrical issue. Should i return the guitar to the store once more for another setup? is this an issue with the nut? or does the guitar just need to "settle in" some? This guitar is strung with 10's and i'm used to 11's, if that makes a difference. I've also noticed that playing most notes on the low E string results in this buzzing as well, especially if my picking attack is on the aggressive end. is this normal? should i just wait? i hate feeling like a bother and i hate constantly returning it for setups. ...
Last edited by RyanMW2010 at Aug 13, 2013,
Sounds like the action might be a little low. If you have a small glasses screwdriver you can just raise it slightly yourself by screwing the tiny screws in the saddles a tad.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Thanks. I don't have those small screwdrivers but i could acquire some. I'm just concerned with messing up my guitar. How foolproof is this method? I'm googling now...
If you pluck them hard, you will get a buzzy kind of sound but will go away after a second or so. If that is what is happening, there is nothing wrong.

If you have no buzzing when you fret anywhere, your set up should be fine. If you hit hard normally and don't want that buzz, raise your action (string height off the fretboard) a bit, or put heavier gauge string on. Heavier string will most likely require a truss rod adjustment. google it for how to vids. Likely a job for a tech if you don't want to mess with it.

Basically it sounds like you are just hitting hard.
Thanks. I raised the action a bit, but now it's having trouble staying in tune. I guess i should check the intonation? i need to get one of those 64th inch rulers. i read that 4/64 is the optimal string height at the 17th fret? I think i'm just used to higher action for an electric guitar and this came w/ very low action, but i can't be sure without a proper measurement.
that's weird. American strats are pretty stable in terms of tuning, im not sure why raising the acion a tad would cause tuning issues. Does it want to go sharp or flat?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by RyanMW2010
Thanks. I raised the action a bit, but now it's having trouble staying in tune. I guess i should check the intonation? i need to get one of those 64th inch rulers. i read that 4/64 is the optimal string height at the 17th fret? I think i'm just used to higher action for an electric guitar and this came w/ very low action, but i can't be sure without a proper measurement.

Depends on what you mean by out of tune. Is a string going out of tune, or when you play a chord higher on the neck, it's out of tune? If it's just a single string ect, just give it a good tug and re-tune it. Should stay after a few tries. If it's the latter, then the intonation is out.
Last edited by D_M_I at Aug 13, 2013,
Quote by D_M_I
Depends on what you mean by out of tune. Is a string going out of tune, or when you play a chord higher on the neck, it's out of tune? If it's just a single string ect, just give it a good tug and re-tune it. Should stay after a few tries. If it's the latter, then the intonation is out.

it doesn't seem to be having the tuning problem now. i think it's the new strings. i was able to fix the action myself using the little allen key that came with the guitar. What height action do you guys generally play on, out of curiosity? Thanks for your help.
i also have trouble bending the high E string anywhere lower than the 7th fret. Could my action be too high, or is this likely just a technique issue? I play a fair amount of blues but usually don't bend much that far down the neck.
Quote by RyanMW2010
i also have trouble bending the high E string anywhere lower than the 7th fret. Could my action be too high, or is this likely just a technique issue? I play a fair amount of blues but usually don't bend much that far down the neck.

Just to get things clear... lower on the neck = closer to the headstock. Is this what you mean?
And elaborate the trouble you're experiencing. Does the note get choked when you bend or what?
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Could be simply a bad fret job. Did you have the truss rod adjusted properly? To check this, fret the first fret, and the last fret, and if the string height at the eighth fret is less than about the thickness of a credit card then the neck needs relief. Try getting the frets leveled and crowned as well.
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
Quote by Shor
Just to get things clear... lower on the neck = closer to the headstock. Is this what you mean?
And elaborate the trouble you're experiencing. Does the note get choked when you bend or what?

yes, closer to the headstock. the trouble, i think is on my end, not the guitar's. the note doesn't get choked at all, i just can't really get "under" the string. a lot of the times it slips and i lose it. i nevr have this problem higher up on the neck.
Quote by RyanMW2010
the note doesn't get choked at all, i just can't really get "under" the string. a lot of the times it slips and i lose it. i nevr have this problem higher up on the neck.

Yes, because of tension it's hard to bend the closer you get to the headstock.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
Yes, because of tension it's hard to bend the closer you get to the headstock.

okay, so it's just an issue of improving technique?
Quote by RyanMW2010
okay, so it's just an issue of improving technique?

From what I understand, yes.

By the way if the buzzing really bothers you, look into changing some things that could be contributing to the buzz. This would mean old strings,worn out nut, rusty bridge saddles.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by Funk Monk
From what I understand, yes.

By the way if the buzzing really bothers you, look into changing some things that could be contributing to the buzz. This would mean old strings,worn out nut, rusty bridge saddles.

the guitar is a brand new american standard strat, so i think it's probably just the action that was causing the buzzing. i fixed it, but now i can't settle on an action height that i like thanks guys.