Hi, I got a Sheraton ii in February this year and I love the way it plays. However, it sounds quite muddy and not bright enough so I have decided to replace the pickups and eventually replace all the electronics. I'm going to put Gibson Burstbuckers in but I haven't get a clue about pots or anything like that so I have a few questions:
-Will I need to buy Gibson rings for the pickups or will the Epiphone ones fit?
-Can you recommend any pots? I really don't know what to look for other than I've been told to go for 500k ones.
-Is it worth replacing the jack? Will it affect the sound?

Thanks
I can't address your other questions, but replacing the jack will have no affect on the sound or tone of the guitar. Even if you replace it with one that's gold plated, it will have zero impact on the tone or sound.
Use the rings that are on your guitar now, and keep track of which one goes in which position and the orientation.
If the jack works, replacing it won't affect the sound. You can replace it with a sturdier/more reliable one if you want though. They're only a buck so I do it to my gigging guitars.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Please try this first. Muddy sounding pickups might be improved in many different ways like, by moving them closer to the strings, adjusting the pickup's pole pieces to match the guitar's fretboard radius, get a better amp.
To dial in pickups on a new guitar I turn all knobs to the same point, full on or half way. After adjusting the arc of the pole pieces of both pickups as suggested, raise the neck pickup up as close to the strings as possible without the strings being pulled magnetically to the poles. The two small screws in the middle of the plastic mount adjust the pickup height, clockwise up, counterclockwise down. The four other screws hold the pickup assembly to the body. The closer the pole to the string the better the sound, but it can be too close. This might help clear up the crispness. Keep the pickup level so the spacing stays equal. Individual string volume can now be controled by adjusting the string's pole up or down.
Next raise the bridge pickup up untill it has the same volume through the amp as the neck pickup does when you switch from one to the other. Or you can balance them by starting with the bridge, either way.
Now the pickups are dialed into the strings as well as to each other.
My similar archtop has a 1/16" string clearance at the neck pickup poles, and 1/8" at the bridge. Different string guages and pickups will vary these distances. Go by ear with a neutral amp setup.
This might do what you want to do to improve the sound of that classic guitar with only a screwdriver. Good luck
Last edited by Guitbuilder at Aug 13, 2013,
I have tried adjusting the pickups and although it did make a difference, it wasn't as much as I'd hoped. They're not as close to the strings as you suggested though so I'll give that a go tonight. Thanks.