So the band I play in is a contemporary praise/worship band that plays a lot of modern Christian music such as Hillsong, for example. A lot of the songs we play have multiple guitars, but I am the only guitar player. Recently I came up with an idea, and I really need some input.

My idea was to get a looper pedal in which I can save my own presets of lead/rhythm guitar lines that I can play over in a live setting. Of course, the question arises "how will the rest of the band be in tempo with you?". I discussed with the drummer getting a metronome he can visually have in front of him on his iPhone, and make sure that we discuss the bpm's of each song I record a guitar line to that way we are both in sync.

I'm hoping to find a looper pedal that I can have multiple loops of in the same bank to have different parts of a song all at my feet.

Thoughts? Ideas?
not a ditto looper...

aim higher, much higher
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
A metro will do nothing but throw the drummer off because the metro is not synced to the looper. You could get a stereo Jamman and put a click track on one track and the backing song on the other. Then feed the click track to the drummers headphone amp and the other to the PA.

There probably is a looper out there that produces a separate click output, but I don't know which one.
on paper a looper pedal is a phenomenal idea, but the problem is people don't play the same exact tempo every time thus making it hard to be rhythmically correct, and also if you don't stop the looper at the right time there is a gap in the loop making it go off in timing in just one or two loops, things can go bad fast with a looper, but its worth a shot, i am a minimalist so i love the looper, maybe you could re arrange the song so the parts build meaning you start with the backing rhythm then another rhythm and so on
I tried using a looper in a band. It didn't work. I was the only guitarist and wanted to beef up the over-all sound during solo's.

There were so many issues, from selecting the right loop, starting and ending the loop at the right time, accidentally over-dubbing instead of just playing back (this actually sounded pretty cool sometimes. Like delayed harmonies of the solo being layered.) botching the original recording and have nothing to play when you need it, having recorded stuff not eq-ed or effected properly, the rest of the band being in time.

I think if you put the time and effort in you can make it work, but from my experience it takes SO MUCH that I don't know it's worth it. It's much quicker and easier to just get another player in your band.
It would probably be easier to find another guitarist, or figure out a way to only have singular guitar parts for your songs. You could use a pedal with a freeze function to drone notes but other than that it will be very difficult to synchronize with the drummer. If you are set on looping google Dave Knudson of Minus the Bear and see if you can find out how he does it
it was hard enough using a sequencer to control my whammy and playing along with my drummer. i was looking at midi click track boxes before i thought '**** it' and gave up, because it wasn't worth the effort.
Loopers work best in real time.

If you play a riff that ends up being the rhythm for a solo, record the riff with the looper as you're playing, then activate it when the solo comes, you play the solo. Loopers take a lot of practice, don't use it once and get frustrated, because your time WILL be off. But if you practice with it you'll get good at recording in time with your playing.

+1 to the Digitech Jamman.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^^^ +1. Using a looper for gigs works much better if you just loop live. You're gonna need to practice for awhile to get your timing down but its much easier than using prerecorded tracks.

Also, whatever looper you get (I use and love a tc flashback x4, used to use a boss rc20xl but it kept ******ing) makes sure it has two footswitches.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 14, 2013,
Thanks for the input everybody. Thing is, as far as making sure the drummer and I are in sync, we would discuss the beats per minute before I go home and record the loops for specific songs. Then when playing live, the drummer can look at the set list and set a visual metronome at the right beats per minute. Then, all that would require would be for me to make sure I start the loops on the right beats. Which I've done with my delay pedal without issue.

I'm looking at the BOSS RC-50, which allows for 99 memory banks with 3 available loops each.
i have a boss xl-20
it has a feature so it doesn't start recording until you play, which is nice
the downside of live usage is that you have to hit stop PERFECTLY on time (otherwise the loop will eventually be noticeably off time)

With this pedal you don't have to worry about starting at the right time-- only ending.

Honestly you might be better doing the loops at home if your drummer can play with a metronome. if you want to go off your drummer you'll have to do it live
i as well as quite a few of you (glad to see i am not the only one ) have had issues with it live in a band. i tried it a few times. i have a jamman delay (i got it new and got it for less than the smaller one, i got my 20% discount plus it was a phone deal, so i can't really complain.

with mine i think i am going to do a volume pedal or something becase sometimes the different loops are a different volumes sometimes.

good learning tool, i have made a little bit of money playing a single instrumental gig with it a few times. that was when i got frustrated with loopers and started using just straight up backing tracks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/