Page 1 of 2
Howdy. Didn't know where else to put this because this doesn't necessarily fall under technique.

I've been practicing quite hard for a good while now, I've really nailed my picking/strumming technique, I ain't anchoring, I can play my scales at 200+ bpm cleanly, got over the barre chords, I'd say that's good for an intermediate, but I got one major problem: I suck.
I'm fine when it comes to rhythm guitar and the most basic solos, however my passion for example is the Blues Guitar, despite me learning some licks, scales, 12 bar blues, I've been searching through the blues song tabs(which seem to be insanely huge) tonight and I found myself helpless, can't possibly figure out the distinction between the song and actual tabs, seeing as I still can't play by ear.

My question to other self-taught players: How did you manage to get out of a rut and get to learn some things that seemed incredibly hard at first? Does one's will power play a major role there?

Thank you very much in advance! And I apologize if this thread has the echo of whining around it, I sincerely didn't intend to do so, I just feel a bit clueless and somewhat discouraged.
Last edited by TheBystander9 at Aug 13, 2013,
Actually comprehending what you're learning instead of simply mimicking it is the best way to progress.
Check out my band Disturbed
I've never gotten into a rut because I have major thing going for me: I don't suck.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Slow it down, pay attention to fingering and picking, and gradually speed it up.

Most importantly, pay attention to the tones you're playing. listen for similar intervals and get a feel for pitch. The best way of doing this is to find an online program which helps you hone your search the note you're looking for through relative pitch and the like. A few Google searches should find you it (I'd look myself, but I can't remember what the bloody thing was called).
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Pertinent forums;
Musicians Talk
Guitar Techniques
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by StewieSwan
Actually comprehending what you're learning instead of simply mimicking it is the best way to progress.

Yes.

Also, this was a bad time to start a thread about guitar. Ian is online.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
Yes.

Also, this was a bad time to start a thread about guitar. Ian is online.
But Ian is Lord And Master Of Sweep Picking.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I posted in another thread this same thing

Learn your triads. Play the Cmajor arpeggio starting from c then on e then on g. Do that with all major and minor chords. Learn the 7 modes an be able to play c Ionian d Dorian e Phrygian ect. Then do that in all the keys. Be able to play your scales in 3s and 4s. Learn how to build chords.

That should be enough.
i'm perfectly content being a mediocre guitar player.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
i'm perfectly content being a mediocre guitar player.

stages of being a guitarist
  • I suck! This is too hard
  • I learned Master Of Puppets! Awesome!
  • I'm getting better. Now I'll try to learn a solo or two
  • Soloing's fun but there's this thing called sweep picking and tapping awesome
  • Holy shit I wonder if I can play that at 300bpm
  • suddenly
  • eh, actually, you don't always need a lot
  • into fairly simple music again
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
  • suddenly

I never learned Master of Puppets, I started out playing "lead", I've never sweep picked, never attempted to play anything above 120bpm, always been into simple music.

TRY HARDER NEXT TIME IT'S LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I still play Master of Puppets all downstrokes to remind myself how amazing I am at guitar when I feel down. That's shit's cray
Quote by Banjocal
  • I learned Rise Above! Awesome!
  • I'm getting better. Now I'll try to learn a Nirvana solo or two
  • Soloing's hard, i'll try and learn Dick Dale/Surf music
  • Holy shit that was even harder
  • suddenly
  • eh, i'll just play ska
  • hates ska, barely plays guitar anymore

fixed to reflect my life
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by eGraham
I never learned Master of Puppets, I started out playing "lead", I've never sweep picked, never attempted to play anything above 120bpm, always been into simple music.

TRY HARDER NEXT TIME IT'S LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME

Heh. It was more a general comment. Most of us seem to go through this technical phase only to end up playing fairly simple stuff damn well with the odd flair here and there.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I'm shit at playing downstrokes in stuff like MoP, after a few bars my arm got tired and I realised I didn't care enough
Quote by Hydra150
I'm shit at playing downstrokes in stuff like MoP, after a few bars my arm got tired

This is surprising considering how much you fap!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by jakesmellspoo
fixed to reflect my life

Oh okay

Quote by Banjocal
  • I learned bluegrass church music, including Amazing Grace
  • I'm getting better. I'll try to learn some Rolling Stones songs
  • Rolling Stones are cool but their music doesn't quite do it for me. What is Pink Floyd?
  • Holy shit, I like blues and speed doesn't matter
  • suddenly
  • I play the same thing every time I pick up a guitar

Quote by Banjocal
Heh. It was more a general comment. Most of us seem to go through this technical phase only to end up playing fairly simple stuff damn well with the odd flair here and there.

I understand. No need to be so reasonable.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

Quote by Banjocal
  • suddenly

stages of being a kristen
  • get instrument
  • become virtuoso
  • repeat ad nauseum
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
fixed to reflect my life
Mine was

• I learned 96 Quite Bitter Beings! Awesome!
  • I'm getting better. Time for BMTH!
  • suddenly discover Earth
  • huh wow if you get the right distance from an amp and play a low F# it will feed back off itself and it sounds like a sine wave oscilator I'll be the next LMY
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by eGraham
Oh okay.

i'm glad you're so interested.

ps: it also illustrates how much i suck.
I read the word "tabs" too many times in the first post, wherever they were written, IDK.

"Self taught," my ass.
Everybody:

• looks up tabs on UG
  • plays guitar
  • discovers UG.com/forum/pit

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by theogonia777
stages of being a kristen

ftfy
    Quote by Hydra150
    ftfy

Quote by PhoenixGRM
    Quote by sam b

Thanks
    Quote by PhoenixGRM
    But our Band is Listana
    Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
    I posted in another thread this same thing

Learn your triads. Play the Cmajor arpeggio starting from c then on e then on g. Do that with all major and minor chords. Learn the 7 modes an be able to play c Ionian d Dorian e Phrygian ect. Then do that in all the keys. Be able to play your scales in 3s and 4s. Learn how to build chords.

That should be enough.

All of my no to learning modes they are such a waste of time I'd focus on learning tonal harmony, like what chords are in your major and minor scales, voice leading, how to change keys yada yada yada. Oh and practice reading music whether it be standard notation or pages from a fakebook
    Quote by joshua garcia
    I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
    I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
    smoke weed about it
    Quote by yellowfrizbee
    What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
    Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Quote by Banjocal
    • suddenly
    1) If it weren't hard, everyone would do it. It's the hard that makes it great.
    2) Master Of Puppets, like Sucktallica is not worth mentioning, let alone learning.
    3) There's the mistake.
    4) Stop wanking and see above.
    5) 300bpm is too slow.
    6) Suddenly
    7) Says who?
    8) Most music is simple if you fly away from Metal.
    Quote by Banjocal
    • suddenly

qft
    Step 1: Stop posting/viewing the pit
    Step 2: Move to the mountains with nothing but a power generator and a food/water source and your guitar and amp.
    Step 3 (optional): Grow a Beard
    Step 4: Practice, nigga.
    Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
    There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
    ^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
    Hello.
    I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
    (will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
    (Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

In all seriousness, I think there comes a point where you have to transcend beyond just playing notes and start to understand the notes relationship's to other notes, and how it all comes together musically. Perhaps dive into music theory?

Personally I don't know much music theory but I feel I have a general understanding of a lot of music, and it helps tremendously while writing my own material. On that note, thats what a majority of my guitar playing is these days - writing my own material and recording.
    I don't know, I just kinda got comfy in my rut and do nothing but **** with chord progressions.
    Howdy.

Howdy.

Here's mine:

I suck! This is too hard.
    I changed the tuning and started playing these cool-sounding open chords.
    I'm getting better. Let me try to write a song.
    Wow, this is some sappy shit.
    Holy shit, I wonder if I can play some thrash instead.
    Nah, I'm not capable of playing fast. I need an excuse to play only slow stuff.
    Just discovered atmospheric music.
    Huh, wow, you mean I can just abuse reverb and delay and sound good? This is fun.

Quote by RPGoof
    In all seriousness, I think there comes a point where you have to transcend beyond just playing notes and start to understand the notes relationship's to other notes, and how it all comes together musically. Perhaps dive into music theory?

Personally I don't know much music theory but I feel I have a general understanding of a lot of music, and it helps tremendously while writing my own material. On that note, thats what a majority of my guitar playing is these days - writing my own material and recording.

Psychedelic drugs helped me understand music theory intuitively. I don't know music theory, and I don't know scales, and I only know chords A->G. I don't know what a "fifth" is, or a "triad" or anything. But I can improvise really well
    Quote by Banjocal
    • I learnt the Smells Like Teen Spirit solo! This is awesome!
    • I'm getting better, maybe I can play and sing at the same time!
    • This is awful I can't play chords
    • Power chords
    • Power chords!
    • POWER CHORDS!
    • **** it I'm buying a ukelele.

Fixed for me.
    My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Get out and play with some other people. I learned everything I know from jamming and practicing with people better than myself.
    Quote by progdude93
    Psychedelic drugs helped me understand music theory intuitively. I don't know music theory, and I don't know scales, and I only know chords A->G. I don't know what a "fifth" is, or a "triad" or anything. But I can improvise really well

For some reason, reading that.. I don't believe you can improvise as well as you think you can.

Learning what you're doing, never hurts.
    I'm self-taught too. I'd advise you to start transcribing by ear - get SIMPLE songs, slow them down and try to play what you hear. It will be frustrating BUT slowly and surely you'll THEN be able to play the music inside your head, i.e. YOU ! Blues can be dodgy, because of the bending, etc. but stick at it, it takes time but it is well worth it. Tabs are more or less O.K., BUT use your ears ! SLOW but SURE. And learn to hear the intervals -
    Quote by losing battle
    All of my no to learning modes they are such a waste of time I'd focus on learning tonal harmony, like what chords are in your major and minor scales, voice leading, how to change keys yada yada yada. Oh and practice reading music whether it be standard notation or pages from a fakebook

why? not only are modes realistic practice, and it helps improvisation. if youre playing over a chord and you know what mode to use and what arpeggios to play you will sound good. its a matter of how you want phrase it.
    Quote by Seref
    I don't know, I just kinda got comfy in my rut and do nothing but **** with chord progressions.

Truth
    Page 1 of 2