Page 1 of 3
Itunes 11 is really a piece of crap. I really liked pretty much every other version before this but this one sucks. I have a pretty fast computer with a 7200 RPM drive, 2500k 4.2ghz cpu, 8gb of ram, and Itunes still makes my system incredibly slow at times.

So I'm looking for a more lightweight alternative to itunes for windows that will still let me sync my ipod. Any suggestions?

Oh and don't say Winamp.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Last edited by Stringz of Fury at Aug 13, 2013,
Musicbee is great.

Foobar is better.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Itunes is just a laggy piece of shit no matter how good your computer is

Use Musicbee
throw your iPod in the trash and get a Zune.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by jakesmellspoo
and this

ipods don't even support FLAC or WAV. ALAC is good but JFC
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Utunes

and sometimes

Ytunes
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Definitely look into Foobar.
Musicbee is more accessible, mind you. I use it as I find customising Foobar a little bit too long-winded I'm a bit stupid.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
and this

Meh. I love the software and interface on the ipods and iphones themselves, I just really hate itunes.

I've had FLACS in my library before and I just never really saw a need to go past 320 kbps. I personally can't tell the difference past that point most of the time and they just take up so much more space.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Windows Media Player. Not joking.

And throw the iPod in the trash. Smartphones these days do the same damn thing, and better. And are by far easier to manage. iPods are worthless as shit nowadays.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Windows Media Player. Not joking.

And throw the iPod in the trash. Smartphones these days do the same damn thing, and better. And are by far easier to manage. iPods are worthless as shit nowadays.

My smartphone happens to be an iPhone 4 but it only has 8 GB of storage which is way to little for me. My iPod is the 160GB classic. I got it because it has tons of storage and was pretty cheap. Turns out these things, including the one I have, are known to have hard drive problems since its a mechanical drive with moving parts. It won't let me play certain songs because of this.

I would love to get a smartphone with more storage but I can't afford it until I get my next upgrade deal which is in a year or so I think.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
^8GB of storage
how

how do you survive on that

that's like maybe 30-35 albums?

Quote by Stringz of Fury
Meh. I love the software and interface on the ipods and iphones themselves, I just really hate itunes.

I've had FLACS in my library before and I just never really saw a need to go past 320 kbps. I personally can't tell the difference past that point most of the time and they just take up so much more space.
The design is good, but it's the software equivalent of a kid's toy station thing.

And I can't either, but for rare stuff I want to archive I at least want the option.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Winamp

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Banjocal
^8GB of storage
how

The design is good, but it's the software equivalent of a kid's toy station thing.

And I can't either, but for rare stuff I want to archive I at least want the option.

I don't have any music on the phone, just apps. All my music is on the iPod.

So I'm having trouble deciding between Foobar and Musicbee; opinions?
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Dang. All this iTunes hate.

I don't have any problems with it. And I'm okay with it. Not to say I won't try this musicbee out of curiosity.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
Yeaaah but I'm not really in the market for paying $30+ a month for a phone. Especially since my aunt worked at this phone company that makes my phone bill cost like $7 a month (with no internet access though).

I just have an iPod Touch (5g. 32gb. It's as close to an iPhone 5 without going full iPhone 5) and connect to wifi whenever possible. Works for me.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Banjocal
^8GB of storage
how

I had an 8gb for a while and was able to fill it up with like 700 songs and about 10 or so apps before memory started becoming an issue.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia

I don't have any problems with it. And I'm okay with it. Not to say I won't try this musicbee out of curiosity.
The common but lesser problem is that it takes up a lot of RAM. But if you have a semi-decent computer that shouldn't be an issue. The main problems are that first of all it doesn't like FLAC, WAV, or ogg, and even worse, once your library gets to around 100GB, it'll start to throw paddies more and more like an angry child that's been given too many sweeties.

Musicbee on the other hand has a stronger digestion and will be able to eat lots and lots of sweets due to it having some sort of alien stomach acid that breaks down all those carbs and keeps the blood glucose at a more acceptable level thus not having so many angry fits.

Quote by Stringz of Fury
I don't have any music on the phone, just apps. All my music is on the iPod.

So I'm having trouble deciding between Foobar and Musicbee; opinions?
Tech savvy? Foobar. Not so much? The bee.

Quote by Joshua Garcia
I had an 8gb for a while and was able to fill it up with like 700 songs and about 10 or so apps before memory started becoming an issue.

well your average album is 50 minutes and the average song is three and a half minutes so that's around 12-14 tracks per album assuming you're not listening to GY!BE. that counts up to around 50 albums. Take off ten for bloated Apple wankery software and that's 40 albums. Not enough.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 13, 2013,
Quote by jakesmellspoo

This. Too bad iPod had the market cornered, because the Zune was a way better product.

Or just download the Zune software for PC. It's terrific.
Quote by Joshua Garcia

It sure is fashionable.

Quote by Banjocal
and this

Who gives a **** when ALAC is just as good as FLAC. It's not hard to convert files.

Also zunes are shit.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
Who gives a **** when ALAC is just as good as FLAC. It's not hard to convert files.
It's inconvenient when itunes hasn't got a built in converter, you have a large library, and when it won't accept the files anyway. Musicbee on the other hand won't spazz out when you get to 80GB+, will accept any format from the word "go", and has a built in converter that will replace the original files if you wish it to.

ALAC is better than FLAC
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by mulefish
It sure is fashionable.

It's not even being fashionable, there's no reason to use itunes if you're not on a Mac because there's better alternatives
Quote by Banjocal
It's inconvenient when itunes hasn't got a built in converter, you have a large library, and when it won't accept the files anyway. Musicbee on the other hand won't spazz out when you get to 80GB+, will accept any format from the word "go", and has a built in converter that will replace the original files if you wish it to.

ALAC is better than FLAC

Alright; I can understand if you already have a large flac library or something.
Interested though: how is ALAC better than FLAC? They seem to be similar file sizes; and comparable quality. Not that I've extensively compared them.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by mulefish
Alright; I can understand if you already have a large flac library or something.
Interested though: how is ALAC better than FLAC? They seem to be similar file sizes; and comparable quality. Not that I've extensively compared them.
There are probably a few charts. They have been quality to compression ratio IIRC.

But even then, Musicbee is just more workable with ease. Still, if it does what you need it to, that's what counts.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Rossenrot
This. Too bad iPod had the market cornered, because the Zune was a way better product.

Or just download the Zune software for PC. It's terrific.

that was half serious.

i've never touched a Zune before, but i was completely serious about throwing his iPod in the trash.

personally, i use Winamp to listen to music on my laptop, but i have to use Windows Media Player to sync music files to my crappy phone.

how do some of the smartphones work with music files? can i just put them on the micro SD and pop it in the phone?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Mediamonkey.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Or go back to iTunes 10.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by jakesmellspoo

how do some of the smartphones work with music files? can i just put them on the micro SD and pop it in the phone?

That should work fine. If a music file won't sync to my phone for whatever reason I just pop it in the music folder and it works just fine.

Musicbee FTW. Easy to use, can play FLAC's, can convert, I like the layout as well. Never tried Foobar, though.
I think I'm going to stick with MusicBee, I was able to get a layout I liked a lot easier than with Foobar. The converter would be better if it had more options such as being able to choose the bit rates. I tried converting an 800kbs album to mp3 and it lowered it to like 128... Oh well maybe theres more options somewhere but I have Dbpoweramp anyway.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Never had a need for library management software, so I just use foobar2000 and Windows Music Player. Both do what they're supposed to do without any hiccups.

For portable use, there's my phone. But, there's so much environmental noise, I can barely hear any music that hasn't been brickwalled to hell and back.
Quote by Banjocal
Musicbee is more accessible, mind you. I use it as I find customising Foobar a little bit too long-winded I'm a bit stupid.

Yeah, I remember hating Foobar 'cause of how complex it was, but now I have it setup exactly how I would want a media player. It's perfect.
Quote by Banjocal
and this

iPods do support WAV. And the only real difference between FLAC and ALAC is ecosystem-related (iTunes not runnng FLAC natively, for example.)
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Aug 14, 2013,
Quote by muffinduck01
Mediamonkey.

Mediamonkey ftw.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
What type of computer do you have?
Apple like to make their things work with other Apple things so you are forced into getting Apple things.
Page 1 of 3