For 250.00

I made a few posts a few weeks back about getting a new guitar. I originally was going to get an Ibanez Premium but I could only afford it through a payment plan and I ended up not wanting to do that because I'm still not even good at guitar yet so I don't need to spend 900+ on a guitar.

Anyways, on to the guitar I bought, its a 1999 RG470. I read up on it before buying and people say that the tremolo on it sucks. Its not the Korean II version. Its the 2nd making of the Japan Lo-Trs ones. Most people said to get a 500 series for the edge trem but the color and neck is what sold me on this guitar. But was it worth the $250.00? I have heard of people getting them for 100-150.

250.00 sounds cheap for me considering I was going to shell out 900.00 but cheap doesn't always mean a "good" guitar.

So, anyone have any experience with these? Was it a decent deal?

Theres only 2 small dings (1 you can only see) the "scuff" look is the lighting but its got a kill switch installed.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Last edited by Fallenoath at Aug 14, 2013,
HNGD

Get it set up. From the pic the bridge is sticking out. Tighten the screws on the back to level it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by tappooh
Nice finish, whats that little switch between the knobs?

A "kill switch"
Ive never used or heard of one before but they had it installed.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
same colour as mine (titanium ice, IIRC)

assuming it's like mine it's a good guitar apart from the tremolo
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
same colour as mine (titanium ice, IIRC)

assuming it's like mine it's a good guitar apart from the tremolo

Thats what I hear. And yes, its a MIJ the stamp says "Japan" and has a fujigen serial.
Is there anything I can do with the trem? The guy said hes hardly used it or at least roughly so it stays in tune but he could just be saying that haha. I made sure to get a MIJ one because I heard the korean trems use the the lo-TRS II which I hear is absolutely terrible. Way worse then the lo-trs .

But, I know I cant just swap it out for an edge trem can I? Is there any out there that will just straight up swap into and be better?

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
if the knife edges etc. are still ok you could just use it. it's fairly pleasant to use until it wears out.

I *think* an OFR/Schaller/Gotoh should be a direct swap* (maybe apart from the sustain block, which may be too big but which normally is replaceable anyway in a worst case scenario), but their studs are bigger than the Lo Trs's studs, which'd require drilling. if the stock studs are in decent nick you could maybe even consider using the better trem with the stock studs (but that'd likely void your warranty).

*they have routing templates on their websites so you can check.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if the knife edges etc. are still ok you could just use it. it's fairly pleasant to use until it wears out.

I *think* an OFR/Schaller/Gotoh should be a direct swap* (maybe apart from the sustain block, which may be too big but which normally is replaceable anyway in a worst case scenario), but their studs are bigger than the Lo Trs's studs, which'd require drilling. if the stock studs are in decent nick you could maybe even consider using the better trem with the stock studs (but that'd likely void your warranty).

*they have routing templates on their websites so you can check.

Well, I wont replace it unless it needs it and If not Ill use it till it goes to shit. But perhaps Ill order a Gotoh to have laying around. I hear that those are the best bet for the RG470s.

How are the pups on this? Ive never had a guitar with a middle pick up so Im kinda excited to play around with them and maybe swap them out to see what the difference is from my current guitar (Gibson Les paul Tribute w/ P-90s). But if they are pretty decent sounding Ill probably use them for awhile. If I was going to swap what would you advise I get?

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
mediocre, i'd say. they're not utterly terrible and are a fair bit better than the pickups on cheapo guitars, but they're generally considered to be the weak link (aside from the trem- and the same pickups are on the 1550/1570 where they're also considered the weak link).

It's really up to you regarding pickups- what tones you're after, your personal preference etc. if you tell me what you're after I can give you a couple of general recommendations, if you want.

EDIT: also I should point out, several people have had good results with swapping the neck and bridge pickup magnets. I didn't try that myself because I only found out about it after swapping the pickups. But it might be worth considering before spending any money.

I dunno if i'd say the gotoh is the best bet- they feel a little different to the OFR. They're possibly made a little better, but that doesn't necessarily translate to feeling better to use if you just prefer an OFR, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 14, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
mediocre, i'd say. they're not utterly terrible and are a fair bit better than the pickups on cheapo guitars, but they're generally considered to be the weak link (aside from the trem- and the same pickups are on the 1550/1570 where they're also considered the weak link).

It's really up to you regarding pickups- what tones you're after, your personal preference etc.

EDIT: also I should point out, several people have had good results with swapping the neck and bridge pickup magnets. I didn't try that myself because I only found out about it after swapping the pickups. But it might be worth considering before spending any money.

I dunno if i'd say the gotoh is the best bet- they feel a little different to the OFR. They're possibly made a little better, but that doesn't necessarily translate to feeling better to use if you just prefer an OFR, lol.

Hmmm, ok well Ill see what its like at first before I look into any Trems.

I love the finish on this guitar (kinda the main reason I bought it, that and the neck) so I want to bring it up to good specs and not sound like a lower end guitar. I play a lot of different styles. Perhaps because Im still learning guitar I like to jump around. But I love to improvise to things and the sound Id really like to have is that clean yet high powerful tone. (David gilmour-ish). But at the same time Id like to be able to have nice gritty tones for distotion. My current guitar is terrible for anything other then blues/jazz but I dont really like the neck or the feeling of a les paul body.

I guess Id like to be able to go from a Eric Johnson tone to a August Burns Red tone on the fly. But Its probably one or the other with guitars huh? (I dont know much still learning so sorry if I sound like a tard). I just want something that sounds decent for any genre because I listen to/would like to play everything except country.

Im sure for the price I paid Ill be happy either way but Ive always liked the idea of customizing guitars and Id like to with this one.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
bear in mind the amp will be pretty important on getting a range of tones like that

but you can help with pickups, for sure. i'm not too familiar with august burns red, is it just a modern high gain type of tone?

initial thoughts are a medium to high output bridge pickup, a vintage(ish) strat-style pickup in the middle and a lower output pickup in the neck (which is roughly what i did with mine, i wanted versatility too ), assuming you're willing to use different pickups for different tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ah, yes of course. Forgot about the amp. Which also makes a huge difference. Which honestly, is my next thing to get. My current amp is a Fender 212R but I don't really use it cause its not the best so instead I run my guitar through my computer. So, yeah I'm sure getting a real amp will make a huge difference. I just hate how they are just as expensive as a damn guitar! Especially for a good one.

And yeah, August Burns Red is modern "metal-core" type stuff. Its not my main style of playing at all nor my favorite example of that style but, its all the same gainy-crunchy modern metal tones. Which I don't "need" but It would be nice to have a guitar that's capable if I so choose to play something as such.

But, yeah. I don't really know much about guitar modding, but seems fun to create your "own" sound in a way. So, thanks for helping me out. What exactly did you put in yours? That way I can research a bit for different pick ups.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
yeah a better amp will help. ideally you'd want it to be tube, assuming you don't have to play at whisper volume all the time.

assuming ABR is along the lines of killswitch engage and that type of stuff, yeah, i'm reasonably familiar with those type of tones.

I put swinesheads in mine, but they went out of business a few years ago.

From the big guys, I'd say from duncan, one of the customs in the bridge (probably custom 5 or custom), a '59 in the neck and an ssl1/2 in the middle would probably work nicely. from dimarzio, i'd probably go for something between the paf pro and tone zone (inclusive) in terms of output for the bridge, probably a paf pro or air norton (maybe even air classic) in the neck, and middle, i'm not so sure, but maybe one of the virtual vintages.

those aren't exhaustive recommendations, though, you have a lot of options. and there may well even be better options from duncan and dimarzio, I haven't tried all of their pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I recognize that pic from Cincinnati Craigslist a few months ago. I was thinking of buying it, but didn't have cash at the time. I now know kinda where you are, TS.

Anyways, HNGD!
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
I recognize that pic from Cincinnati Craigslist a few months ago. I was thinking of buying it, but didn't have cash at the time. I now know kinda where you are, TS.

Anyways, HNGD!

The guy is from Cincinnati haha. I'm from Washington state. I bought it from eBay from the guy that posted it lol.

He said hes been trying to sell it awhile but people were offering 200 at max so I asked 250 and he said sure. On ebay it was for 300.00 but I talked him down to 250.00. I just had to buy it though even if it sucks lol I fell in love the finish and had to have it! lol. Its got that sparkle in newer Prestige units but ****ing light purple! I love purple guitars idk why! And I heard these are the only models (99-2002) in this finish so I said **** it and bought it. Now I just wanna mod it and make it scream. But 250.00 for just the finish is worth it to me since I was going to spend 900+ in payments for an everyday "Red" guitar.

How much was he asking for it on Clist? Hopefully I didn't pay more! either way idgaf cause I love the color and its a pretty clean body for a 99'.

*Good to know hes legit though since his Ebay account is in the same area haha. But hes also got perfect rep for being a seller.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Last edited by Fallenoath at Aug 14, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah a better amp will help. ideally you'd want it to be tube, assuming you don't have to play at whisper volume all the time.

assuming ABR is along the lines of killswitch engage and that type of stuff, yeah, i'm reasonably familiar with those type of tones.

I put swinesheads in mine, but they went out of business a few years ago.

From the big guys, I'd say from duncan, one of the customs in the bridge (probably custom 5 or custom), a '59 in the neck and an ssl1/2 in the middle would probably work nicely. from dimarzio, i'd probably go for something between the paf pro and tone zone (inclusive) in terms of output for the bridge, probably a paf pro or air norton (maybe even air classic) in the neck, and middle, i'm not so sure, but maybe one of the virtual vintages.

those aren't exhaustive recommendations, though, you have a lot of options. and there may well even be better options from duncan and dimarzio, I haven't tried all of their pickups.

Thanks for the input man!

Yeah, I'm not looking to get your exact setup. I just don't know jack about guitar modification. But I want to get into it (hence why I bought a 99' RG) But I want an idea of what to look for that will work with this guitar and make it sound good. So any suggestions I will look into!

Thanks again man!

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
^ no worries

And yeah I mean (IMO) it's definitely a nice guitar ok, just hampered a bit by the subpar trem. But if you can get a good trem in there (or block it) then it's a good guitar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well..... I found out today it is not an lo-TRS its actually an Edge III. I guess someone swapped the trs out. But Ive heard the edge III is just as bad.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
^ good point, yeah it does look like it's not low profile (though hard to tell from the pic, that's why i missed it).

yeah the edge III isn't great either. i guess the only slight advantage is that, from the sounds of it, the lo-trs died and the person put in anotehr trem, which might be in better condition than the original.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ good point, yeah it does look like it's not low profile (though hard to tell from the pic, that's why i missed it).

yeah the edge III isn't great either. i guess the only slight advantage is that, from the sounds of it, the lo-trs died and the person put in trem, which might be in better condition than the original.

The guy I bought it from said he was going to put an edge trem in because it "should" fit with a bit of work. He said mostly the plate and screws are the biggest problems but, because of the size difference it may not help too much without a lot of fine tuning and a good set up. He does all that himself so he never actually got to it. But is this true? Can I drop one of the better edge systems in or is it better to just work with the Edge III? I hear its farrrr better then the lo-trs's and with a professional set up the Edge III isnt that bad of a trem.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
i dunno. i've seen some horror pics of edge IIIs basically falling apart. So I doubt it's great. better than the lo-trs? I dunno, maybe.

the edge, lo-pro edge and edge pro (the good ibanez ones, in other words) aren't a direct swap for the lo-trs. nor is the edge zero or zr (they're a totally different shape).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Fallenoath
The guy is from Cincinnati haha. I'm from Washington state. I bought it from eBay from the guy that posted it lol.

He said hes been trying to sell it awhile but people were offering 200 at max so I asked 250 and he said sure. On ebay it was for 300.00 but I talked him down to 250.00. I just had to buy it though even if it sucks lol I fell in love the finish and had to have it! lol. Its got that sparkle in newer Prestige units but ****ing light purple! I love purple guitars idk why! And I heard these are the only models (99-2002) in this finish so I said **** it and bought it. Now I just wanna mod it and make it scream. But 250.00 for just the finish is worth it to me since I was going to spend 900+ in payments for an everyday "Red" guitar.

How much was he asking for it on Clist? Hopefully I didn't pay more! either way idgaf cause I love the color and its a pretty clean body for a 99'.

*Good to know hes legit though since his Ebay account is in the same area haha. But hes also got perfect rep for being a seller.

He had that and an S470 with DiMarzios asking $275 each. I was going to buy the S for $250 but I didn't have cash. I'd say RG4xx is worth around $250 in great condition, so you didn't overpay too much.

I do recall him saying he swapped the LoTRS for an Edge III. I was laughing to myself about it.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Aug 16, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno. i've seen some horror pics of edge IIIs basically falling apart. So I doubt it's great. better than the lo-trs? I dunno, maybe.

the edge, lo-pro edge and edge pro (the good ibanez ones, in other words) aren't a direct swap for the lo-trs. nor is the edge zero or zr (they're a totally different shape).

Yeah, I've searched/google'd and I find some people saying it hasn't caused them any problems and then others I've read people saying that its complete shit.

But the edge III shape is the same as lo-Trs?

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
^ that looks like a trs101. the lo-trs is low profile (clue's in the name ) EDIT: the top one might even be an edge pro II. Not sure.

i dunno if the edge III is the same shape as the lo-trs. the fact the dude swapped it for one suggests it might be, but he could also have modified the guitar slightly to accommodate it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 17, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ that looks like a trs101. the lo-trs is low profile (clue's in the name ) EDIT: the top one might even be an edge pro II. Not sure.

i dunno if the edge III is the same shape as the lo-trs. the fact the dude swapped it for one suggests it might be, but he could also have modified the guitar slightly to accommodate it.

Never mind. The pic of the TRS 101 was miscategorized because Google isn't that smart.

But yes, the RG470 originally had a Lo TRS and he replaced it with an Edge III, and apparently the Edge III is only a tiny upgrade.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
no worries

and yeah, i think that's the gist of it. The main upgrade is if the lo-trs were totally banjaxed, if the edge III is in better condition, that's gonna help a bit.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, still.

I hope I can replace it with something better but, who knows I may not have any problems. He just shipped it a few days ago should be here next Friday so Ill find out then.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Iv got a S620EFXB, really nice ibby s series plays really nice got edge zr 2 humbuckers really nice guiar ask for pics if intrested
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
Well, it came...

The trem actually isn't that bad. Looks pretty new or that he didn't use it much.

The problem I'm having with it though is fret buzz. Is that normal? I know lower action will cause it but its any of the frets past 12 that start to buzz. The thicker (lower) strings of course do it more then the higher strings but its still happening. It holds its tune fine. I can really get into the trem and it still holds its tune so thats nice. But, I think I'm gonna take it into a luthier and have it professionally set up and have it really looked at.

Other then that it seems to be a solid guitar. Only a few scratches and about 2 dings. There is a small dent in the headstock but you cant really notice it since it still has all the paint on it. pretty happy with the purchase though. I wanted something cheap that I can also play on and this seems like its gonna fit the job. Hopefully, I can work out or around the "buzz" haha.

Oh yeah and the pickups are pretty crappy. Well, they aren't "shit" but "mediocre" is a very good description lol. Will no doubt be swapping these out. The neck feels amazing. Its different then other ibbys I have played but man it feels so good and comfortable. I don't know if Ill ever go back to my Gibson les paul. Might sell it for a really good amp now.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Last edited by Fallenoath at Aug 22, 2013,
with any luck it'e either just the truss rod or maybe you'll just have to raise the action a bit. or a bit of both.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?