Hey,

I've been playing an acoustic for more than two years now, and figured I'd get an electric too, as I like playing metal, hard rock, punk, etc.

I've narrowed down my choices to the following two guitars (cheap ones,I know ) :

1) Ibanez RGR321EX-BK :

<bajaao.com/shop/5-guitars/6-electric-guitars/4287-ibanez-2012-rgr321ex-electric-guitar.html>

2) Ibanez RGA42-BK :

<bajaao.com/shop/5-guitars/6-electric-guitars/18097-ibanez-rga42-electric-guitar-black.html>

Both the guitars feature a 'Gibraltar' standard fixed bridge.

I have been dying to try them out, but to no avail, as I am in a remote town in India, and the shops around me don't normally stock these guitars, and would only get them on order.

-> Also, the RGA42 has 'CAP-LZ' active pickups, Ibanez's proprietary active pickups, which supposedly has better cleans and muddier distortions than EMGs.

Anyone know if they're any good, especially for a first time electric user?
My concern primarily is that active pickups supposedly sound a little sterile and lack personality, and also their dynamic range is somewhat narrow as compared to a passive pickup. Is it so?

-> Moreover, I was also concerned about the lack of a tone knob on the RGA. Would the accompanying 'Active EQ' compensate for that?

-> The body woods on the two are also different.

The RGR has a Basswood body with passive INF infinity (passive) pickups, whereas, the RGA has a Mahogany body with CAP-LZ (active) pickups. Both have HH configuration.

I'd like to play the likes of psychedelic rockers like Jimi Hendrix and David Gilmour, and also metal shredders like Kirk Hammett, Herman Li, Darrell Abbott and the likes (or my humble version of them anyways ).

If anyone could address my above stated concerns, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks in advance.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace..." - Jimi Hendrix
I recommend the RGR321 out of those two. It's cheaper, slightly easier to change pickups on (the RGA's active EQ only works well with the stock pickups) and allows for more variation.

Out of sheer morbid curiosity, though, what guitars do they have on display there? And what kind of amplifier do you want/have?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Aug 14, 2013,
I would say rga. The Gibraltar bridges are quite comfy and I was content woth the stock infinity pups in my rg. Its a pretty solid guitar
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
damn, he got us
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Quote by PsiGuy60
I recommend the RGR321 out of those two. It's cheaper, slightly easier to change pickups on (the RGA's active EQ only works well with the stock pickups) and allows for more variation.

Out of sheer morbid curiosity, though, what guitars do they have on display there? And what kind of amplifier do you want/have?

Thanks for the info, PsiGuy60.

Will definitely look into the rgr, but won't the rga be easier to upgrade with EMGs later on, because of its inbuilt active pickup housing?

The shops here have a grg170dx or EC-10 at best, up in display. I am planning to buy a Roland cube 40xl with cosm modelling amp and a zoom G1XN effect processor.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace..." - Jimi Hendrix