I have been playing acoustic for a little over a year and am switching over to electric so I don't know much about amps in general. I know a bit about the basics with solid state, and tube. I don't really know much about what a cab and head do exactly which I would like to know. But I really needed to know some good but cheap amps that fit my needs. I know my price is very low but this is just for now and I'll upgrade to better gear later. I'm starting a pop punk band and not too picky on sound because of my price but it would be nice to have something with a bit of distortion built in (I know I can get a pedal, I will in the future) and so I'll need something that will sound decent over drums but also able to plug headphones in for practice at home (noise level is a problem at the moment). I don't mind looking on craigslist for used amps but would like to know what to look for because all I know about is Vox, Marshall, and Orange and those I know are all out of my price range of $100 or less. Honestly I'd feel more comfortable at $60 or less so please list some good options on the both sides of my budget.
If you're starting a band, you'll need to spend more than that for a suitable amp.

$100 will only really get you a practice amp for home use. The most common suggestions are Peavey Vypyr, Vox VT and Fender Mustang - but you'll only afford the smaller ones and they won't hold their own against drums.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I kind of thought so. What watt amp would you suggest to be able to be heard over drums well, but still on as close to my budget as possible?
If you're playing in a band, really you need a decent tube amp but that doesn't come cheap. Something like a used Bugera or Jet City may come close to your budget but I don't know US prices that well.

Your best bet would be to read this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

Post all the information required and tell us what your maximum budget really is, but it will need to be more than your original post if you want something gig-worthy.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Nah, you don't really need a tube amp to do anything actually.

Also, do not mistake power for volume.
Power defines the amount of "noise" you can make before pushing the amp into distortion.

The reason why relatively small tube amps are more practical than solid state ones is that the distortion coming from a tube amp sounds better. Don't get me wrong, it's always distortion and no distortion sounds like an angel choir, but it objectively sounds better.

So with a tube amp, even if you raise the volume enough to make the amp distort your sound, it will not sound really bad.
Nor will a solid state amp actually, because they found ways to make them sound not really bad, though it's usually preferable not to do such a thing with a solid state amp.

For little money and since you're a beginner, a modelling amp will most likely be your best bet.
Modelling amps have a digital section which applies effects to your sound, and they are usually cheap.
That's a good thing because having a wide array of effects you can decide what you really use and like and what you don't, so you can choose better your next amp/pedals.
And it's also cheap.

Anyway, in my first band, the guitarist used a 15w vox amp and had no trouble making himself heard, so you don't need anything very big, too.

Depending on whether you need or want a really high-gain, metal sound or not, I'd get the Peavey Vypyr 30 (15, if you can't afford that), or the Fender Mustang II (or I if you can't afford the II) if you don't like/need/want to play anything really metal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you're saying $60 to $100 maybe one of the ancient Peavey or newer solid state combos, like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEAVEY-BANDIT-model-112-80-watt-8-ohms-2-channel-COMBO-GUITAR-AMP-AMPLIFIER-/231030648708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ca7fef84

or one of the older Marshall Valvestate series
Quote by diabolical
If you're saying $60 to $100 maybe one of the ancient Peavey or newer solid state combos, like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEAVEY-BANDIT-model-112-80-watt-8-ohms-2-channel-COMBO-GUITAR-AMP-AMPLIFIER-/231030648708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ca7fef84

or one of the older Marshall Valvestate series

+1 The Valvestate has an ok crunchy tone but might be a bit outta budget ( , sorry). Those old Peavey 2x12s are everywhere and dirt cheap.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Like Spambot said, a tube amp isn't necessarily a 'must-have', but if you choose to go with a modelling amp I'd personally recommend a minimum of 50 watts for gigging. Less than that & you'll struggle to compete with the rest of your band.

With a tube amp 15 watts would be plenty, they cope better in that situation and project themselves more than solid state amps do.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
used peavy vypyr 30.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by GaryBillington
Like Spambot said, a tube amp isn't necessarily a 'must-have', but if you choose to go with a modelling amp I'd personally recommend a minimum of 50 watts for gigging. Less than that & you'll struggle to compete with the rest of your band.

With a tube amp 15 watts would be plenty, they cope better in that situation and project themselves more than solid state amps do.

he stated that he played acoustic for a year and is switching to electric. at this point i wouldn't even consider gigging gear, i will probably be a while off.

cemented_clouds - how easy would it be for you to save up some more? i hate how often it is recommended, but by far a peavey vypyr tube 60, used for $300 or less, it has a tube power section, is a modeling amp that is pretty solid.

if you want something cheap just set your budget on CL and research what you see there that is NOT a line 6 spider or a Marshall MG. if you are patient and scope things can be found at a really good price, but you may have to get there ASAP or somebody else could beat you to it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Did you buy a guitar yet? Spend more on the amp and deal with a shitty guitar.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
he stated that he played acoustic for a year and is switching to electric. at this point i wouldn't even consider gigging gear, i will probably be a while off.

Just picking up on something he said in the OP:
Quote by cemented_clouds
I have been playing acoustic for a little over a year and am switching over to electric so I don't know much about amps in general. I know a bit about the basics with solid state, and tube. I don't really know much about what a cab and head do exactly which I would like to know. But I really needed to know some good but cheap amps that fit my needs. I know my price is very low but this is just for now and I'll upgrade to better gear later. I'm starting a pop punk band and not too picky on sound because of my price but it would be nice to have something with a bit of distortion built in (I know I can get a pedal, I will in the future) and so I'll need something that will sound decent over drums but also able to plug headphones in for practice at home (noise level is a problem at the moment). I don't mind looking on craigslist for used amps but would like to know what to look for because all I know about is Vox, Marshall, and Orange and those I know are all out of my price range of $100 or less. Honestly I'd feel more comfortable at $60 or less so please list some good options on the both sides of my budget.

If he's starting a band, he needs kit that will cope.

That's why I'm recommending he gets something genuinely gig-worthy, if it wasn't for that one of the smaller 15/30w practice amps would be plenty.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud