My investments have treated me well in the tune of an extra 6,000$. Im looking for the best bang for my buck here.
I built a custom gaming PC for myself awhile back and am not satisfied using it as my home studio computer. Here's my initial idea's

-2013 Macbook Air(haswell) 13'' - The portability seems great, haswell has ALL day battery life, and can be configured with 8gb ram and a core i7. I can get a military discount, so roughly 1400. Also want the mac so i can get the new Logic X and play with it. add another 199

-Native Inst. Komplete Ultimate- since the MB has a 256 or 512 ssd, i figured getting ultimate on an external drive would be my best bet. Would cover all my needs for drums, synths, etc. 1000

-Avid Eleven Rack- I am a guitar player primarily, and for 699 i get a full version of pro tools 10 upgradeable to 11, and all the guitar tone i could want. I know the fractal would outperform, but that would really EAT into my budget

-Native Inst. Maschine- i need something to program my drums and synths and this would work awesome with Komplete, and ive heard nothing but good reviews 699

Thats around 3800

I do want to save some money for a strat...well actually a PRS 305, i play a CU22 and am in love with PRS and that will cost 2kish.

I am SUPER open to suggestions. Thank you
I suggest you don't buy a Mac.

What about your PC puts you off using it as a home studio?
I would say go for an iMac or Mac pro if you don't need it to be portable. Youll get more bang for your buck in terms of performance.

To above, EVERY PC I've used in audio has got sluggish very quickly. the macs just don't. At work all out computers are purpose built. We have three PCs, all of which are sluggish/broken, and one mac that's been fine for about 5 years.
Definitely get a Mac with a nice interface, like the Apogee Duet or Quintet (if you *really* want to spend money).
Logic X is awesome. There are a few bugs, but overall it's so much nicer than 9. It has boosted my productivity a lot...Drummer alone is worth getting it for.
Also you might want to pick up an ipad, since that's an amazingly awesome controller for Logic X.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I do have an ipad! seems like the integration with Logic is awesome. I would like the idea of being portable, i do travel pretty often and it would be nice to record some jams on the road.
You already have a PC the only advantage a Mac would have is that they come with built in firewire, but thats a moot point since a high end PC should have firewire as well. The only other advantage is that some DAWs like Logic are Mac exclusive. However, I see no reason to shift DAWs as well if you're fine with whatever you're using already

What is it that puts you off about the PC first? I see no sense in spending 2 grands to get a new machine if the thing that bugs you can be fixed easily and on the cheap
If you're looking for the best bang for your buck a mac shouldn't even be considered.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I currently use studio one 2 pro and I do like it quite a bit. Also by getting an 11 rack ill get pro tools 11 to use as well. The main thing is no portability. My system runs windows 7 on a 64GB SSD and i have a 2 TB secondary drive thats 5400 RPM. 8gb of 1600 ram and a gtx 570. It CAN/DOES music editing well, i was more just looking at a portable solution. I completely agree that not getting a mac saves a TON of money. I already have a Native Inst Komplete 6 interface, with alesis monitors so im just looking to upgrade my tone arsenal. Portability would be great, but i guess isn't the cheapest like jthm said
Quote by jthm_guitarist
If you're looking for the best bang for your buck a mac shouldn't even be considered.

+1
Quote by jthm_guitarist

With $6k there's no reason to go for the second best alternative imho

Quote by GS LEAD 5
What is it that puts you off about the PC first? I see no sense in spending 2 grands to get a new machine if the thing that bugs you can be fixed easily and on the cheap

He said he wanted a portable solution, so that is probably going to be a pretty difficult thing to pull off with the gaming PC he built

Also...about the thing that the advantage a Mac has being "firewire"...umm.. maybe you should get more up to date with what you know about macs?
Interfaces like Apogee Duet/Quintet and other higher end (enthusiast/pro) interfaces use USB 2.0...not firewire...so that wouldn't really factor in.
The high speed port on a mac is now "thunderbolt"...but there aren't any interfaces that support that yet I believe...at least not in a sensible price range.

To OP:
Get a Macbook Pro + good interface + Logic X...you will not be disappointed.
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor

He said he wanted a portable solution, so that is probably going to be a pretty difficult thing to pull off with the gaming PC he built

Also...about the thing that the advantage a Mac has being "firewire"...umm.. maybe you should get more up to date with what you know about macs?
Interfaces like Apogee Duet/Quintet and other higher end (enthusiast/pro) interfaces use USB 2.0...not firewire...so that wouldn't really factor in.
The high speed port on a mac is now "thunderbolt"...but there aren't any interfaces that support that yet I believe...at least not in a sensible price range.

To OP:

We modern macbook pros don't have firewire any more, moot point. And it still boggles the mind that people think that macs are better in any way. They use the same intel cpus and chipsets that other brands use. Sure Apple makes a slick machine, but is it worth 30% more for the same performance? This isn't the 90s when they had their own cpu arch
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
We modern macbook pros don't have firewire any more, moot point. And it still boggles the mind that people think that macs are better in any way. They use the same intel cpus and chipsets that other brands use. Sure Apple makes a slick machine, but is it worth 30% more for the same performance? This isn't the 90s when they had their own cpu arch

It's not so much that I (or others I guess) think they are better. I still have a PC for gaming and whatnot.
It's just that it's hassle free...everything just works (well mostly anyway ).
No problems with drivers, or weird workarounds to get things working.

PC's can be so different from each other with so many variations of hardware from different manufacturers, which really doesn't make it easier to streamline drivers and such.
That said..a Mac is generally (from my experience anyway..) less efficient than many PC's when you run the same hardware..but hey..that's life as a mac user..
For me it's also the fact that I'm used to Logic, so personally that is worth a ton for me...but for a new user...well it doesn't matter as much I guess.

Bottom line for me is this.. they cost more than a pc with the same/similar spec, but a mac is not the same thing as a pc...so it's hard to make direct comparisons in my opinion.
Things with strings:
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor

To OP:

Wait, they stopped firewire now?
Damn, I'm out of date
And thunderbolt isnt mac specific, the tech is owned by Intel iirc. I saw this demo of some guys with an MSI laptop who were using thunderbolt to plug an external graphics card to it

@OP: I would say get a cheaper Windows laptop with a fast CPU and lots of RAM, and use the cash saved for a decent interface and that Axe Fx.
Get a CEC.

/win
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."