Hey guys, this is my first post so bear with me...
So, I've been playing guitar for about a year now (im 15) and I think right now would be a good time to get my first electric. I'm not quite sure what to get though. I'm in to post-hardcore, pop punk, metalcore, and alternative. also, what amp should i get? I know i should go to the store and try a bunch out but it wouldn't make much of a difference because i don't know much about electric guitars. I want to keep it under $1000.

Thanks
is $1000 the budget for both amp and guitar?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
^^ Used schecter is a good suggestion. If you can, aim for a C-1 Classic--they came stock with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, which will be able to cover all the tonal bases you're looking for.

Also check out an Ibanez RG or S/SA/SZ series. Can find em cheap used all over the place.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Well to get an idea for the amp, where are you going to be using it mostly? Do you have plans to put a band together or will it just be bedroom practice, or perhaps the garage? i.e. will you have any noise restrictions?
Used 5505/6505. You can get a 6505+ combo for around $400.
A lot of those bands (metalcore anyway) use 6505s, Mesa Amps. Marshal JMC800

Be aware, those are tube amps. You will need to learn how to maintain them.

Guitars are up to you. This has all the prerequisites.
http://www.rondomusic.com/INTEPRO625ebemgsilv.html

Shecter,Jackson, ESP, Ibenez. Gibson. They all have good mid range guitars. I'm sure someone can give more specific guidance there.
^ I wouldn't recommend a guitar with a Floyd Rose for the range OP is going for, and if I were to, I certainly wouldn't recommend an Agile - as far as I know they're all using low end LFRs, which are just a waste of money in the long run.

OP: Answer these questions

Amp: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25873058&postcount=1

Guitar: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28571615&postcount=1

And we'll be able to give you real suggestions that meet your needs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Meh, I don't get all the complaining about LFR. I bought a used LFR like 10yrs ago and it's still in perfect shape.

Probably shouldn't get a floyd regardless. It was just the first one I went to that wasn't a strat or gibson body.
Floyd Rose sucks anyway.

So yeah, I wouldn't buy one with a Floyd, especially when it's your first electric (I have one in my guitar but it's too much pain in the ass for me, even though you can do cool things with it - a good vintage tremolo would still fit me better).

I would buy a modeling amp. You get lots of different sounds an get an idea of how the real things would sound like. At first it's good to be able to get lots of different kinds of sounds because your style may change and you may not know what tones you really are after (and you may want to play lots of different styles). Peavey Vypyr gets a lot of praise here, especially the Tube 60 (I have no experience with it though).

Oh, and how do tube amps need maintenance other than occasional tube changes (as simple as changing a light bulb)? I have done nothing to my amp but changed one pre amp tube and it's over ten years old (though I bought it used but I'm sure the previous owner did nothing to the amp).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
6505+ 112. Mod it when you get more money.

Used EC 1000.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Offworld92
^ I wouldn't recommend a guitar with a Floyd Rose for the range OP is going for, and if I were to, I certainly wouldn't recommend an Agile - as far as I know they're all using low end LFRs, which are just a waste of money in the long run.

OP: Answer these questions

Amp: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25873058&postcount=1

Guitar: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28571615&postcount=1

And we'll be able to give you real suggestions that meet your needs.

A used schecter could easily be found that comes with an OFR
Want to Buy:

UV7PWH
If you only have a guitar with a Floyd Rose, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you only have the one I think it'd serve you much better if it were more flexible like a hard-tail or a synchronized tremolo. Something dead simple.
Quote by Stealthtastic
A used schecter could easily be found that comes with an OFR

There's no such thing as a Schecter with an OFR, to the extent of my knowledge. A while back they had some false advertising with calling their FRT-X000s OFRs. I mean they're pretty similar, but they're not the real MIG thing.

Pedantry aside... yeah, you're right, but even still, a FR is not a good option if you want to change tunings, and you only have one guitar. That's why it's a bad idea.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
6505+ 112. Mod it when you get more money.

Used EC 1000.

This. It's hard to beat the LTD 1000 line used for the price.

There are three main LTD 1000 guitar types: the Viper, the EC and the MH. The MH1000 is like a hardtail strat body with two humbuckers. The Viper is LTD's take on a Gibson SG. The EC is like a Les Paul. All of them have a version that comes with Seymour Duncan pickups instead of EMG active pickups. Go for the duncans, they're great.

I would say it's up to you which to get based on the body style you prefer. They seem equivalent as far as the quality. Oh, and older 1000 series LTDs have an Earvana nut and some other goodies the new ones might not have. The MH1000 models run a bit cheaper than the others, btw.

Other electric guitar makers to consider: Schecter (if you like that sort of thing), Godin, Gretsch, Reverend, Malden, G&L, Ibanez.
I'd still get a Gibson though
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Offworld92
There's no such thing as a Schecter with an OFR, to the extent of my knowledge. A while back they had some false advertising with calling their FRT-X000s OFRs. I mean they're pretty similar, but they're not the real MIG thing.

Pedantry aside... yeah, you're right, but even still, a FR is not a good option if you want to change tunings, and you only have one guitar. That's why it's a bad idea.

You're wrong. The original batch of Loomis sigs + Hellraisers used an actual German OFR.

Even then, the korean version is made of the same materials, just in korea.

Edit: Also worth noting, all 7 string Schecters used OFRs until ~2009-2010ish because there was no korean "OFR" then in 7 string flavor. Just the german one existed.
Want to Buy:

UV7PWH
Last edited by Stealthtastic at Aug 15, 2013,
Quote by Stealthtastic
You're wrong. The original batch of Loomis sigs + Hellraisers used an actual German OFR.

Even then, the korean version is made of the same materials, just in korea.

Edit: Also worth noting, all 7 string Schecters used OFRs until ~2009-2010ish because there was no korean "OFR" then in 7 string flavor. Just the german one existed.

I apologize if I'm spreading wrong information. Do you have a source or anything? I am actually interested.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ambler3
Location? and give some bands you like the sound of.

Bands: A Day To Remember, Pierce The Veil, Bring Me The Horizon, All Time Low, Of mice & men, Crown the empire

No need to make fun of the music i listen to, that's what i have my friends for
Well, I'm just going to repeat just about every post here for dramatic effect.

6505+ and a used Schecter.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Offworld92

Your information is really out of date. Both OFRs and FR Specials have been showing up on Agiles (depending on the model), with a few of what used to be LFRs (but are no longer licensed because they don't need to be). Bear in mind that most of the official Floyd Rose (and all of the big-manufacturer OEM OFRs) have been, for some years, been built on one of two Korean production lines. These lines cranked out identical trems (the only difference being the stamping that identified them) as well, and these went on Agiles and Gibsons alike. In 2008 or 2009 I bought an Agile Custom and a Gibson Axcess Custom. We removed the trems on both of them, took them apart and found that they were identical down to the tooling marks. I since found one of these same units on a $475 AL 3100 Floyd, though the AL-2000 Floyd has a different trem.

In short, some Agiles are using what amounts to OFRs, some (the very cheapest guitars) are using something else.
Quote by Offworld92
I apologize if I'm spreading wrong information. Do you have a source or anything? I am actually interested.

I have two sources. One is Floyd Rose (the company) and another is the trems themselves, pulled from Agiles and Gibsons. If you hit the Floyd website, they've got information regarding the country of manufacture of their current trems (most built in Korea).
Why is everybody talking about Floyd Roses? I mean, TS didn't even say he wants a guitar with a Floyd. I wouldn't buy a guitar with Floyd if I didn't really need it. It's a pain in the ass, and if you don't even use it, a hardtail would be a lot better.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by dspellman
I have two sources. One is Floyd Rose (the company) and another is the trems themselves, pulled from Agiles and Gibsons. If you hit the Floyd website, they've got information regarding the country of manufacture of their current trems (most built in Korea).

Mm, oops.

I apologize.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by johnnykbop
If you only have a guitar with a Floyd Rose, you're gonna have a bad time.

If you only have the one I think it'd serve you much better if it were more flexible like a hard-tail or a synchronized tremolo. Something dead simple.

This is very very true, When I first started playing guitar I got a Floyd Rose and it was my only guitar and sure it has its perks I guess but it was pain haha
I'd say go hunting and find a Gibson Les Paul Studio for around $600. And the 6505+ 112 is a good amp (from what I hear).
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA