I've got a decent little preamp and would like to put together a cheap rack set up but i don't know much about rack power amps. (other than nearly all of them are way to expensive)

i'm looking for something that will run a 4x12, preferably stereo, and is around the $150 range.

if the crate power block was rack mountable, i'd just use one of those...
I honestly don't know of any good sounding, big power amp, nor I do of any amp with the features you require, or that kind of money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
yeah, that's kinda what i've found. thought i might post on here and find an alternative.

what do guys that use something like a GT10 use? i've tried the line ins on the couple heads I've got and i don't have any volume control.
They may plug it into the amp input, with the most transparent settings they can get, or into a standalone power amp, or into a guitar amplifier's power amp (the FX return).
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I use a GT-10 and I run it in 4CM with my 6505. For amps without a global master like the 6505, the amp basically runs on 10 at all times. You then sort of throttle the volume with the GT's volume.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
that just seems hard to use, or way to easy... if you have the expression pedal set to volume, one bump and you just blew your amp...

as for 4cm, I've been doing that with my ns-2 for years, so I've got experience with that. I might try that with this preamp and see what happens...
You don't set the expression pedal to control the entire volume - that would be stupid, as you thought. There are multiple ways to set the entire patch volume.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Graggk
yeah, that's kinda what i've found. thought i might post on here and find an alternative.

what do guys that use something like a GT10 use? i've tried the line ins on the couple heads I've got and i don't have any volume control.

If you can let go of the rack mounted idea, you could just get a little Crate Power Block power amp. I got mine new for $99 at Guitar Center with a nice gig bag for it also. I use it with my Van Halen-style re-amp rig, & it works extremely well.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
go used?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
well, it looks like that pre amp is going to headphone/recording only duty...

G10s are getting pretty cheap used right now. might just get one of those and a power block.

thanks for the help guys.