Firebirds are baaaad for beginners.

It's an awkward shape that's difficult to learn on and the neck reaches quite far away from the body compared to a Les Paul or a Stratocaster. Trust me I had one myself and it almost killed my guitar practice completely.

Was it pretty? Hells yes. I bloody miss that thing.
Last edited by johnnykbop at Aug 14, 2013,
Firebirds are like the Gibson equivalent to the Fender Jaguar in terms of sheer setup hell and frustration. Not goot for beginners. For $1700 i would look for a kickass Tele or Strat. Les Pauls are also pretty easy to set up. A good used LP will have a great sound and GREAT resale value. When you sell it youll make all if not more money back. Same goes for all quality made electrics of reputable name, as long as you care for it. And $1700 is ridiculous for a beginners budget lol. My first electric cost me $60 new. I was barely able to afford my AS Strat. Envious, yes I am!
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
Gibson Les Paul Standard.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Quote by ealimoradi
Hello, I want to buy my first electric guitar (I've used a rental Gibson Les Paul Studio for a month to see if I like playing the guitar). My budget is around $1700. I like the Gibson Firebird V but I like it only for its looks. What guitar do you recommend? Thanks.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

Besides the questions in that link, it would be helpful to know if that $1700 is for the guitar alone, or will you be buying an amp as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Get a used LP or maybe even a used HSS Strat. I'd say get a used Jackson SL1 or an Ibanez S Prestige, but I'm not sure if you would prefer thin necks or not.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I recommend you not spend that much on your first guitar. You can spend a quarter to half that and get a great guitar. Go out and play several shapes and brands to see what you like. Also, don't forget that the amp is as important as the guitar to get the sound you want. Good luck with the purchase!
ESP Eclipse
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Everybody will just recommend his own guitar i guess ;d
anyways, i guess some Chinese Stratocaster is the classic thing to star with as it breaks much, letting u open it and try to fix it yourself, teaching you the inner mechanics ;dd

alternately, i like SG's much, tho they are special shaped with the neck and are different from every other guitar (i had to relearn playin on SG for a few days) i advice you try some SG in the guitar shop and see if that neck fits you as it does the orgasm for me, if yes, i would advice you an Epiphone SG, they are very very nice quality for an amazing price. good luck!
And $1700 is ridiculous for a beginners budget lol.

It all depends on if you know what you want and if you have the money to buy it. After playing acoustics for many years, I bought 2 electrics: a Dean Special Select EVO and a Dean Time Capsule Cadillac. Very different prices and very different guitars...and a high price tag.

Back on point- c'mon ealimoradi! Give us more info so we can help you!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 18, 2013,
If I had $1700 for a beginner budget, I'd get a $500 used guitar and a $1000 amp, and $200 in pedals.

The guitar is one part of your sound, and you can get a perfectly nice used guitar to learn on for $500, which will hold its value if you decide to sell later.
Quote by samuraigoomba
If I had $1700 for a beginner budget, I'd get a $500 used guitar and a $1000 amp, and $200 in pedals.

The guitar is one part of your sound, and you can get a perfectly nice used guitar to learn on for $500, which will hold its value if you decide to sell later.

That's not a bad ratio, though I might only spend $700 on the amp, and another $200 on pedals' and $100 more on the guitar.

OTOH, I really want an Orange tube combo amp these days, so if I were starting over today, I might blow most of a $1700 budget on one of those!

Try to find an Ibanez Iceman ICT500 for $700, buy a good Orange combo, and stock up on pedals and extra strings with the extra money.

I would be homeless for a year and kill the POTUS for a budget like that. I'm broke all of the time!
"Go roll around in your sic."- Corey Taylor

Firm hater of the Les Paul. Fan of the Iceman.

You just can't have enough guitars. It is impossible for that to happen.
Last edited by Bones2 at Aug 18, 2013,
A seemingly straight forward question, but actually very difficult to answer. I said it before, a lot that has nothing to do with right or wrong but rather personal preference. In general, in my personal opinion, I think that a Gibson SG Standard or Gibson SG 61 Reissue are safe picks here. They are within your budget, excellent instruments but first and foremost, they have a legendary reputation for outstanding 'play-ability'. This is just my two cents, again, you'll find a broad spectrum of opinions on this topic.
Quote by ealimoradi
Hello, I want to buy my first electric guitar (I've used a rental Gibson Les Paul Studio for a month to see if I like playing the guitar). My budget is around $1700. I like the Gibson Firebird V but I like it only for its looks. What guitar do you recommend? Thanks.

A Les Paul or a HSS Strat.