I just got a Fender Stratocaster not that long ago. The strings rust fairly quickly. I'm wondering is it due to extra use? Not wiping down before storage? Or could the frets or fretboard be causing it? (The guitar was originally purchased around 2001.)
It's probably your hands and the salt in your sweat, I never clean my strings; however during really warm months when my hands sweat more I have noticed that strings will rust faster and the only thing I can attribute this to would be more salt then normal.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
wipe it with a damp cloth if you feel like your hands sweated a lot after a session. buy string/fret lubricant and apply afterward.

i also like to practice in front of a fan, since my hands tend to sweat.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
buy three packs of stings of the guage of preference (if you have one), see how the last. maybe take some notes on the first few days and as time passes.

i did that. i would go through ernie ball in a month.

i tried DR, they were better but i didn't like the feel after a while

but the best of what i have tried and worked for me was d'addario nickel blues .11's for the last seven or eight years.

everybody is unique and have different chemicals in their sweat. results will vary. just see what works for you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
how fresh are the strings? with a lot of play, you might need to change them after a couple of months.

if your basement / house is damp, then keep the guitar in a case with silica packets.

if you think it's the sweat on your hands, then yes, wipe down guitar better if you can.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you live in a damp area (for example, I'd call New Orleans a damp area), you might try investing in a cheap dehumidifier.
Thanks everyone. It's a pretty dry room where I keep it in it's gig bag. I sweat a lot when I play. The strings were several months old when I got it. They rusted. So I replaced them. Haven't played it much but it's only been about 2 months since the new strings. Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies 12-56 gauge. I was mainly thrown off because the strings on my Schecter (Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies 10-46) haven't rusted on me yet.

I appreciate the help everyone. I want to learn to better care for my instruments.
Go to theruststore.com and pick up a VCI. That's a Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor. Pick whatever size fits in your case or gigbag best. It should be in the compartment with the guitar. If you keep your case closed, it will protect the guitar (and the strings) and help prevent corrosion of all the other metal bits as well. Won't harm the finish or anything else on the guitar. They're normally used to protect guns and tools and anything else that's subject to corrosion while stored. About ten bucks.

Wipe down your strings (tops and undersides) before you put the guitar away. Just takes a few seconds.
I'll wipe them down. I'm a bit worried about the vapor thing because of the moisture in the wood and whatnot.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Well how fast is fast?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Meh that's not that bad if you play it every day. Is it an MIM? What's the bridge made of?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Also where does the rust occur? In one or two specific places or all up and down the strings?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

I don't play everyday is the thing. Not very often. It's a MIM. Not sure what the bridge is made of. It's original. Rust occurs on the bottom three strings over the fretboard. Where my fingers would be for soloing and whatnot. Just where I played most.
Strings are cheap and disposable. You don't see rust on the bass strings because they're wound in nickel which is very corrosion resistant, whereas the treble strings are just plain steel. i.e. Not stainless, so they'll rust if you look at them funny.

If it bothers you enough, look into full coated sets. I hear great things about DR, I've ordered some myself because I have a mild nickel allergy but I've disappointed in the past with the jangly tone of regular coated strings.