Is there such thing as a resonator cone that you can insert into a regular acoustic guitar to make it louder? I don't really even know if this makes sense, as I don't know exactly how resonator cones work (physics wise). I do understand that resonator guitars have cones for highs and lows though, so I don't know if one cone would affect all frequencies. My brother and I play acoustic music, he plays a single drum and shakers, tambourines, and such. And I find myself having to play hard to keep up with the volume of the drum. I suppose using an amp would be an option, but I'd rather keep it acoustic. I already use heavy pizza picks and fairly heavy strings. Thanks!
Did you ever notice that an "MTV Unplugged" concert has banks of amplifiers in the background? Take your cue from that and just plug in.

A resonator cone is virtually the size the of the entire soundboard. But a resonator cone to fit in the sound hole of a guitar would be about 4 inches in diameter. The cutoff frequency of a 4" horn or cone is well above anything that would be usable to reproduce the much lower frequency bandwidth of a guitar.

The only thing I've ever seen to plug into the sound hole of a flattop, is an insert designed to prevent feedback, and all that does is lower the volume, not raise it.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 15, 2013,
Cranky ... I think you are a rude but not funny jerk. If you've never built one how would you know. Where did you get your degree? Know it all Tech? Get lost.
Well, what kind of guitar are you using right now?

I'd recommend using an all solid-wood dreadnought and if that's not enough, getting a pickup and using an amp.
Quote by Bluescruiser
Cranky ... I think you are a rude but not funny jerk. If you've never built one how would you know. Where did you get your degree? Know it all Tech? Get lost.
FWIW, I simply don't care what you think of me, and I'm not going anywhere, especially not on your say so.

Also, your post is spam. it doesn't contribute to the topic in any way, shape, or form.

If the TS wants to hack a 12 inch diameter hole in the soundboard of his guitar, (which as I understand, it isn't designed for it), then all I've done is inform him of possible consequences, and/or ramifications of taking that action.

For me, a guitar in the hand, is worth two broken and laying on the wood shop floor.

TS seems to be asking for information that he hasn't bothered to check out using Google.

Now, why don't you be a good little UG member, research plans for a resonator, and also where would be some possible sources for resonator biscuits.

BTW, this thread is over three months old, and is likely dead anyway. Which would mean, you're spamming a dead thread, with name calling, and personal attacks on me. I'm pretty sure you could pick up a warning for that.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 18, 2013,
Well, it has been done....There's a video up on youtube of a fellow who took a somewhat-damaged Alvarez classic guitar and made it into a resonator. Cut the big hole in top, installed a "soundwell" and a resonator, added a trapeze tailpiece... WaLa!
Thing actually sounds OK.

I did this too, somewhat differently. I didn't use commercial parts like the guy in the video did, instead I used the same technique I'd used to build my favorite resonator cigar-box guitar.
I cut a big hole in a cheap steel string and installed a "resonator" made out of cooking gear.
There's pics up on my Cigar Box Nation page... Look at "Resonator Build":

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=2c9z47krucf7w

Now.... All that's fun but it's more of an exercise in seeing if you can do it rather than if it's a good idea... I agree... You can get a decent pickup pretty cheap, and you can make a simple piezo pickup even cheaper. (there's one in the guitar I built... Cost about 5 bucks.)
"Et Tu Bikewer"?
Quote by Bikewer
Well, it has been done....There's a video up on youtube of a fellow who took a somewhat-damaged Alvarez classic guitar and made it into a resonator. Cut the big hole in top, installed a "soundwell" and a resonator, added a trapeze tailpiece... WaLa!
"WaLA", is actually spelled, "viola", (It's French)! I realize that "viola" could cause a bit of confusion on a site dedicated to music & musical instruments.
Quote by Bikewer
Thing actually sounds OK.
Just OK?

Quote by Bikewer
I did this too, somewhat differently. I didn't use commercial parts like the guy in the video did, instead I used the same technique I'd used to build my favorite resonator cigar-box guitar.
I cut a big hole in a cheap steel string and installed a "resonator" made out of cooking gear.
There's pics up on my Cigar Box Nation page... Look at "Resonator Build":

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/photo/listForContributor?screenName=2c9z47krucf7w
Very commendable!

Quote by TheEelsAnkle
Is there such thing as a resonator cone that you can insert into a regular acoustic guitar to make it louder?

Quote by Bikewer
Now.... All that's fun but it's more of an exercise in seeing if you can do it rather than if it's a good idea... I agree... You can get a decent pickup pretty cheap, and you can make a simple piezo pickup even cheaper. (there's one in the guitar I built... Cost about 5 bucks.)
Unless a TS gives me the impression he has woodworking experience, and is willing to risk what appears to be the only guitar he owns, in this "glorius experiment", I'm going to say it can't be done, for several reasons.

As snide or sarcastic as I may be, I go forward with an answer based on the medical credo, "and do no harm".

So, unless whichever clown or his followers specifically state, in writing, that they're willing to indemnify me against any damage I may cause with advice I might give. my answer will again, and forever be, "no, the best approach would be to plug it in".

An overarching question might be, "while resonator guitars are quite loud, they also sound quite different from a standard steel string flat top, is that what you want"?

The entire tone of the OP was that of desperation. And I also feel obligated to mention, that desperate people sometimes make bad decisions.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 19, 2013,
Quote by Bluescruiser

Cranky...didn't we talk about not letting your mother on here ?
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
i didn't get the idea in the original post that the poster wanted to do a major guitar project. i was thinking he wanted something he could easily fit into the soundhole, no?

wow, Bikewer - you're so motivated! and what a cool project
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
i didn't get the idea in the original post that the poster wanted to do a major guitar project. i was thinking he wanted something he could easily fit into the soundhole, no?....[ ]....
That's what I thought, ergo that's exactly the question I answered.

Quote by stepchildusmc
Cranky...didn't we talk about not letting your mother on here ?

Indeed we did! but now I like everyone to meet my dad....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 19, 2013,
Just passing through, and enjoying the banter, but, without wishing to upset anyone, WaLa is actually spelt 'voila'. I knew my French certificate would come in handy one day, even if it is nearly 50 years old.
I do Americanized French. Since anyone seeing the word "viola" would pronounce it as they would the word describing a somewhat-larger violin.... "Vy-O-Lah"

So, at the very same time, "Wa La" is wrong, but it's right. So very Zen......
Oh hell, I know you need to use the phonetic spelling for, "viola", especially on a site about music. I just wasn't letting you get away with the "rap" version....

And are you so darned sure that's not "V-eye'O' lah", or, "Vie-o-La"? Or perhaps the Spanish version, "Bi-Hola"...(La ache no es sonido).

Ah screw it, who's wants to be in a spelling bee anyway......
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 22, 2013,
Well then, just so we'll be able to keep the whole thing straightened out in our haids, thissy here is a pitchur of a "wah-ah"...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 23, 2013,
Quote by tuxs
Come on Cranky buy me one for christmas. Cheers
You're quite sure now? Because I think, "sound hole insert", is a euphemism for, "anal plug"......

Here's to hoping you find as much humor in my material, as I do.....

(With that said, my grandpop used to absolutely loathe comedians that laughed at their own jokes)
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 23, 2013,