Hey guys, I just got revalver mk3 and I love it.. well most of it. The clean tones are out of this world but I'm having some issues getting the high gain tone I want. I know a lot of it has to do with EQ but I was wondering if you guys had any chain tips and amp settings for a good clear high gain tone similar to this one...

https://soundcloud.com/iambulb/axefx-ii-high-gain-test-clip

Also if anybody has any tips on EQing high gain tones like that, that would be appreciated as well. I'm using Reaper and playing in Drop C on an ibanez RG120 that's plugged into my Mobile Pre AI. (I'm not sure what to do with the gain knob on that thing either.) Any advice would be much appreciated!
WE NEED CLIPS!!!! Why does everyone think we're psychic!

Generic tips though:
1. You don't need as much gain as you think you do. Figure out how much you think you need, then reduce it to around 2/3 to 1/2 of what you had and you should be in the ballpark. Definition is way more important, good mixing will make it sound like it has more gain anyway.
2. You're never going to get that tone with a guitar. Well, more specifically you're never going to get it with JUST a guitar. Great metal guitar tones come from good blending of the kick, guitar, and bass. The kick helps provide more definition to the notes, and the bass fills out the lower end of the sound where guitars sound wishy-washy and crap. And no, using "uber extra super mega heavy+++" guage strings will not fix this.
The high gain tone has a lot to do with using the right impulse response (IR) for cab emulation. Check out Catharsis IR.

And fact of the matter is some of his tone comes from the Axe itself. But... pull out some low mids and high pass the guitars at 100ish hz.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
https://soundcloud.com/jacob-sandoval1/guitar-help

Theres a clip of the latest tone I made. This is the best one I've come up with so far I think.. using revalver mk 3, flathill pre amp, noise gate, flathill amp, JJ Centre impulse. I want more clarity on the chords. They're 6 string chords and I just cant seem to get that clarity that I want out of the higher 3. Is the gain too high? I feel that if I cut it any more, I'll lose the ability to chug. T.T Thanks in advance. OH it's double tracked panned left and right.
I also EQ'd it and cut out frequencies below 100 hz, gave a slight dip around 3k and cut off anything past 20k. Any more EQ tips???
The post-gain (master volume) needs to be cranked on most of the ReValver amps for them to sound good, for some reason. Friend of mine showed me that a while back and the difference was pretty drastic.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I think you could get away with less gain, but that's definitely better than most I hear. Bring your low-pass down to at least 12k, I usually bring it right down to 7-9k. Overall though your tone isn't half bad for a solo'd guitar track, add a kick for definition and fill it out with a bass and that'd be sound pretty good.

If you don't have a bass you can get an acceptable fake by pitching your guitar down an octave with ReaPitch. Then if you EQ it right and maybe use a bass amp sim (like the Ignite Amps SHB-1) and appropriate impulses it can actually sound fairly decent.
Quote by MatrixClaw
The post-gain (master volume) needs to be cranked on most of the ReValver amps for them to sound good, for some reason. Friend of mine showed me that a while back and the difference was pretty drastic.

This.

Also, TURN THE GAIN DOWN.

Oh, and low pass at about 10k.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Not sure if someone might have mentioned this but gain stacking also might make a difference. What I mean is to experiment with overdrive in front of amp settings, sometimes maybe even 2 overdrives in the front. Might want to throw in a param eq in the pre and post signals too.