Hey, frequenters of UG, I'm a bedroom bassist looking into getting a loop station of some sort. Looking for thoughts from those who've got some experience with them.

Here's what I want to be able to do:
1. Program drum tracks and load them onto the device
2. Record bass loops and overdubs
3. Have a mic input for vocal and horn arrangements over the top, or maybe keys (any loopers play nicely with multiple instruments?)

Ideally, I'd like to be able to bring separate layers in and out of the mix, and not necessarily just the top layer.

In-built effects are a plus but not vital, I'm more interested in ease of use. Decent reverb/echo would be good for dub music, but that's about all I'd need.

Thanks.
What's your budget?

It kinda seems like a multitrack recorder (,DAW[?]) with a monitor would work way better for all that.

A GNX4 would be ok except its a **** to use.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 15, 2013,
The big looper boss came up with at the last musikmesse (or it was NAMM?) seems like what you're looking for.
It's pretty expensive too, I thing you're going to spend about €4-500
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Lot of requirements so a bit more expensive. I'd say the Boss RC300 is a good one to d/l the manual and see if the feature list fits your needs. Sounds like it will.

Edit: Most loopers aren't midi drum machines. So you will need to make audio tracks from whatever you program your drums.
Last edited by fly135 at Aug 15, 2013,
I love my Digitech Jamman Stereo.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
You say bedroom guitarist.

Why don't you just invest in a DAW? some are probably cheaper then a looper, and you get so much extra.

What if you loop a few nice loops, but when run together there's overall too much bass (you mentions drum loops, horn loops etc.)

You can't eq that shit easily.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Definitely sounds like you need a DAW to me. You'll be able to do whatever you want with it for a minimal investment.

You can get a cheap guitar link for as little as £10, then use free software for everything.

The Interfaces sticky over in the Recordings forum would be a good thread for you to read.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm utterly clueless when it comes to any sort of effects or electronics in general, so there's a pretty good chance what I'm asking isn't really feasible. So, my requirements in the OP aren't set in stone since I might just be full of shit for a couple of them.

Case in point: xxdarenxx, the lack of ease in "eq(ing) that shit" is not a factor I had considered in that I have absolutely no idea what you just said.

A DAW is any computer-based recording software, right? I want to do this on the fly, hence the attraction to pedals. I won't be writing songs per se, I just want to be able to make shit up and build a song as I go.

Jamman Stereo is currently on top of my shortlist.
The requirement to have multiple loops that can be turned on or off is the biggest factor in driving price. Back off to a single loop and the Jamman is a good choice.
Quote by Majikthise
A DAW is any computer-based recording software, right? I want to do this on the fly, hence the attraction to pedals. I won't be writing songs per se, I just want to be able to make shit up and build a song as I go.

Almost - DAW is "Digital Audio Workstation", it could be a software based system or a standalone multitracker.

Looper pedals are good for playing along with, but surely if you're looking to make stuff up & build a song as you go you'll want to be able to come back to it in the future? For that, some basic recording kit would serve you well.

Obviously software is cheaper to get started with but has a steeper learning curve as you're getting started. On the other hand you'd be surprised how easy using a decent multitracker can be - you'd certainly be able to to do what you're wanting with one and much much more. Lots of multitrackers have drum machines & bass synths built in, and if you went with the software option there's obviously loads of free software equivalents.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The Jamman also has a mic input, as well.

But if this is just for the bedroom jams, look into a Line 6 UX2. Comes with good software and interface, and just download Reaper as your DAW. Great combo. I have the UX1, but would go for the UX2 for 2 mic inputs and phantom power for condener mics.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals