I was wondering how to get a Layla tone on pretty basic equipment

So my amp is pretty cheap, I have a fender Mustang one and the only options are: Gain Volume Treble Bass Master

My guitar is a Epiphone Les Paul traditional pro

I also have a Boss SD1 super overdrive pedal and a Hardwire TL2 metal distortion pedal.

Is it possible to get a Layla tone with my equipment ? thanks in advanced!
He generally likes mids, so I'd have a mids at around 7, treble around 7 and bass at 5. Try and have those 'metal' pedals on low gain and roll off your volume.

You won't get that tone because that tone costs a lot of money, but you can get an appropriate tone.

You don't need a lot of distortion, just some definition to the tone.
Quote by Mephaphil
He generally likes mids, so I'd have a mids at around 7, treble around 7 and bass at 5. Try and have those 'metal' pedals on low gain and roll off your volume.

You won't get that tone because that tone costs a lot of money, but you can get an appropriate tone.

You don't need a lot of distortion, just some definition to the tone.

Thanks man , that sounds pretty close (or as close as im going to get)
The tone escapes me atm, but a lot of times Clapton will drop his tone setting pretty low on his guitar also. So there's that.
For Layla, you really need a strat. You could always try cutting some of the bass from your amp, but it will likely just end up sounding tinny.

Also, setting your Boss SD-1 onto a lower gain setting and using that through a clean amp for your gain may help. I've always thought a low gain overdrive like a tubescreamer got pretty close through a clean amp, especially since it gives a nice little bass cut and softens the attack. Although I'm not sure if the SD-1 has th same kind of midboost and bass cut.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 15, 2013,
I've got a mustang one too, downloaded syn's preset from the online site and that's actually sounding pretty goddamn good, even if there's too much overdrive and not enough tone, but I'd suggest the same, as you can use FUSE to make up presets with reverb pedals, and you can also get access to more gain options etc and different amps, which are useful for different styles.
I got a great enter sandman tone for that intro completely by accident, so just mess around on the pc software and then save the preset to the amp mate
Well Epiphone "pro"s should have the coil splitting option, so he can at least achieve a basic single coil sound.
Quote by al112987
Although I'm not sure if the SD-1 has th same kind of midboost and bass cut.

it does, it's just not as pronounced and a bit more marshally-sounding. but it should work at a pinch.

regarding the layla tone, it was recorded on a champ, wasn't it? there are a few options for champ-style amps on the cheap- fender champion 600 and vht special 6 spring to mind, they're not *that* expensive. And then run a strat through it. Assuming you can crank it a bit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it does, it's just not as pronounced and a bit more marshally-sounding. but it should work at a pinch.

regarding the layla tone, it was recorded on a champ, wasn't it? there are a few options for champ-style amps on the cheap- fender champion 600 and vht special 6 spring to mind, they're not *that* expensive. And then run a strat through it. Assuming you can crank it a bit.
Seconded, the Fender 600 is a nice option, though something more tweed-like would get a little closer, just because they're a tad grittier and the 600 is more BF sounding. It's cheap though and sounds good. That said, the Mustang should cover the sound in a pinch.

I just threw this together.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/al112987/music/all/play1213132

It's a Fender SCXD on the tweed champ setting for both rhythm and lead. Tone on guitar is rolled back to 6-7, w/ the volume down to 5-6 for the rhythm track and full blast for the lead track. The amp is dimed.

TS, you should have a similar setting on the Fender mustang.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 15, 2013,
^ yeah

the vht special 6 gets a bit tweedier with the boost engaged, but then it doesn't have the negative feedback of the champ. also a lot louder to crank as it has a bigger and more efficient speaker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by al112987
Seconded, the Fender 600 is a nice option, though something more tweed-like would get a little closer, just because they're a tad grittier and the 600 is more BF sounding. It's cheap though and sounds good. That said, the Mustang should cover the sound in a pinch.

I just threw this together.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/al112987/music/all/play1213132

It's a Fender SCXD on the tweed champ setting for both rhythm and lead. Tone on guitar is rolled back to 6-7, w/ the volume down to 5-6 for the rhythm track and full blast for the lead track. The amp is dimed.

TS, you should have a similar setting on the Fender mustang.

Nice, how much of the stuff on your profile is you and how much is backing tracks? (Vocals, Drums etc.)

In any case it's all good and I enjoyed listening to it!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
They have a few Layla presets on Fender Fuse to choose from and lot's of other Clapton presets to. When it comes to the Fender Mustang's Fuse is your friend. If you don't exactly like the presets you can always tweak them to your liking. At least you will have a good canvas to start with. Lets just say you have way,way more options than just Gain Volume Treble Bass Master to work with.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Aug 15, 2013,
I feel like he said everything was set to 12 o'clock and he used the middle pickup, in his autobiography.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
They have a few Layla presets on Fender Fuse to choose from and lot's of other Clapton presets to. When it comes to the Fender Mustang's Fuse is your friend. If you don't exactly like the presets you can always tweak them to your liking. At least you will have a good canvas to start with. Lets just say you have way,way more options than just Gain Volume Treble Bass Master to work with.

Thanks alot man! Ive never used Fuse before but im so glad you turned me on to it, the tone is almost perfect!